Weights/Weight Lifting

Linz

The other half has been saying for some time that he would like to get some weights, so I decided I would get some for his Too soon to talk about this time of year!. I have been looking about, but don't have much of a clue really, so some advice would be appreciated.

I am looking at barbell/dumbell sets. I wasn't sure what weight to get, but thought that 100kg might be ok? If he wanted/needed heavier at a later date he could buy the discs as and when he wanted them. Is a 100kg reasonable enough for a beginner?

My other question is, is there much difference between the 1" standard sets, and the 2" Olympic sets (other than the size obviously!!!). Is there any great benefit of the 2" over the 1". Opinions please?

I have already been buying bits and pieces for him, so set myself about £100 for the weights set. I actually purchased a 100kg 2" Olympic set (Marcy's I think) yesterday, to then be e-mailed and told it was out of stock, they have offered me a Gold's Gym alternative @ £115.00 (free delivery).

Anyone with any advice or opinions on what I should get? Thanks.

somethign like this will probbly do fine to start with

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/part...>WEIGHTS.htm

I've then put all the large weights on one bar for mine but you can buy the weights individually to build up the set as required.

Ok thanks. I have been looking at the likes of this: -

http://www.connection-fitness.co.uk/catego...ic_Weight_Sets_[2_Diameter]_58/100kg_Olympic_Weight_Set_[2_Diameter]/577/index.aspx

So I take it that 50kg is more than enough for a beginner then? That's where I was unsure, didn't know what weight would be suffucient.

depends how big he is already but 50kg is almost 8 stone so like lifting you up ;) he probably can't do that with one arm just now. A £10 pull up bar where he can lift his own weight is a better training aid too :)

Linz i would suggest getting some good secondhand kit, or some Gym membership because £100 wont really go very far with new kit. there are lots of people out there that buy new kit and never use it (hence it ends up on eBay) so there is some very good kit going cheap.

If you do decide to buy him weights, youll at least need an incline bench, dumbells and a barbell really. There are plenty of exercises he can do with this kit, but theres also plenty of stuff he could benefit from in the Gym aswell that will be too expensive to buy yourself.

Thanks for that. He already has a good bench and a few dumbells lying about. Got him a dumbell/barbell set and a pull up bar. We both hate the gym environment so that is out - we would rather walk/run/cycle out in the fresh air.