Mini Cooper S

Adam

Id recommend one definatly. Had a go of one on some twisty roads and my thoughts were WOW!

You cann keep your foot to the floor around a corner and it will just stick to the road all the way.

You cant half throw them around and it is really responsive! The only downfall to it is the suspension

set-up, its extremely hard. But thats how it handles so great! And it is in a different league to the

lupo Gti seeing it off in any senario.

Edit : it was a cooper S i drove.

Edited by moono_16v

Personally i think the Lupo GTI makes a better Mini than the Mini does. (if that makes sense)

Dont know if id have a Cooper S, they are nice well built cars and very nippy. But i think the Cooper S is actually alot more girly than the Lupo GTI is (just look at the interior and rear end), and doesnt represent the same image, But still you cant knock them really.

And a GTI is a great way of clinging on to that cool 'Leftfield' image, until your older and can afford something more exotic. Not to mention the cheap running costs of the GTI, which really help until your in a stronger financial situation.

Cor, it's a wonder VW never designed and built a small, cute fronted, four seater with poor boot space and wheezy engines and gearboxes donated from older cars in the VW range. If they had managed to put those little storage bins each side of the back seat and no glove box (just like a Mini), expensive options, and expensive servicing into the package, they would have been onto a sure fire winner. Sell the mid-range models at £10k or so and I could see them flying out of the showroom.

What's that? They did make one? A Lupo you say? They stopped making them because they were too expensive and not selling as well as a small FWD BMW that offered cheap running costs and low depreciation? Oh well. You live and learn.

The Cooper S has a slightly different engine to the One and Cooper (oil cooled pistons spring to mind). It can be turbo'd readily and comes with the stronger ZF box that the n/a engines didn't have earlier on in there life. Having had a Mini Cooper and a Lupo, I know where I'd be putting my money if pricing were the same.

To argue that they're crap because they're popular makes me wonder what people think about eating, shagging and winning the lottery. There are a few on E38 that have done the mags recently. As in all car scenes, to stand out takes exceptional skills, to follow the crowd takes none (BBS wheeled euro-style Lupo owners take note).

Go your own way on this one and I'm sure you'll be rewarded.

From the 56 plates the whole range has had new Peugeot designed engines rather than the Chrysler (I think) crap that was in there before with poor performance and even worse economy. The new lumps are quieter, less thirsty and have much more grunt. The quality of the interior (notably the plastics) is much better post 56 as well.

I'm not sure if all these people criticising the engines are referring to the pre 56 plate ones?

And as for the comment that everything is an option, totally correct and typical BMW. As standard you get four wheels and a steering wheel.

Mine was a 52reg. As standard we got Sports seats, electric windows, central locking, front fogs, cassette player, alloys, need I go on? We specced up with full leather and the Chili kit giving a bit more stuff.

I'm assuming that the Lupo GTI (or any other for that matter) came with aircon, leather, Sat Nav, CD & changer, an engine that didn't have an in-built self destruct mechanism that causes problems without warning (even with regular servicing and maintaining oil levels), a pedal box that was 100% reliable and was super economical.

The R50 Mini was a tarted up version of the car Rover had designed and nearly launched. It was built to Rover's spec in the main and as such, much of the drivetrain was outsourced to keep costs down. Ours was blessed with a faulty throttle body. I have not heard of any serious problems with the Chrysler sourced engine. It was 115bhp with max torque at 4500rpm. The One had 90bhp with identical torque at a more useful 3000rpm. Sadly, weight was against it, causing the 'poor' performance. It could have been worse - it could have got a K-series.

The engines in the 2nd gen Minis are co-op specials with PSA. This car is the first true BMW Mini and should prove to be a much better car in the long run, although I prefer the visuals of the older model.

As for BMWs needing everything as an option, think about the BMW 320d I've just procurred for our General Manager - as standard we have Climate, Alloys, Cruise, CD etc etc. I have only added the auto box, metallic paint, professional sat-nav and a different design alloy of the same size as stock. I'd say that was enough to be getting along with. If you want a car with 'everything on', I'd suggest you looked at a car from Kia, Hyundai or Daewoo.

Edited by IDGM

I'm assuming that the Lupo GTI (or any other for that matter) came with an engine that didn't have an in-built self destruct mechanism that causes problems without warning (even with regular servicing and maintaining oil levels), a pedal box that was 100% reliable and was super economical.

GTI's dont get pedal box problems, and whats this self destruct mechanism your talking about ?

I was generallising across the Lupo range (hence my ref to "any other for that matter"). Engine problems include sudden valve guide failure, valve damage through (often mistaken) continued use of low RON unleaded, high oil consumption, usually attributed to VWs insistance on the use of "long life" oil and prolonged service periods, all of which have been written about over the years in various publications. Maybe the use of the word Mechanism was misleading. Some breakers are avoiding taking in VAGs with certain engine codes because of these issues as I have found out ringing round for a replacement engine for my own Lupo.

Please accept my apologies for including the untouchable GTI in the pedal box (on older models) problem. My mistake.

My main point (badly made) was that the Lupo is no better a car than the Mini. You pay your money and take your choice. There are faults with both cars, the main one with the Mini, apparently, being a style and badge issue.

Edited by IDGM

Well i wouldnt take it too personally IDGM, nobody is really slating the Cooper S it's a good car, and nobody is saying that the GTI is 'untouchable' or 'the be all and end all of cars' although i do prefer it to the Mini. Why sell a GTI to get a Cooper S ?

Surely (if your after a better car) it makes more sense to wait until you have enough money to buy something thats way better than either of them, something thats in a completely different league. That way youll appreciate the change and not ponder on whether it was worth spending all that extra cash to have a car thats not exactly poles apart from what you already had.

was talking to my mate about minis the other day, hes got a 1d at the moment, but wants to trade up to a cooper S soon. He doesnt think much of the lohen stage 1 though - says have a look at a company called GTT or 1320Autos.

have a talk to people on mini2 forum, im sure they would be helpful, but probably biased! haha

my uncles JCW is currently being done there it will be the 2nd turbocharged mini but his car is set up way way better it will be pushin out 364bhp at 7500rpm

its completely stripped out for a race car tho with lightend battery etc etc. . . . ill post it up wen he gets it back.

I test drove a cooper S twice in 2002 and very nearly bought one. This was over a civic type r and a seat leon cupra r. The mini was the better car in my opinion having driven them all. Such a complete package of power, handling, comfort and style. They are popular for a good reason. Like any BMW the are a good car. It's as simple as that. I think a mildly modded cooper s with some less is more alterations would stand out from the crowd enough. I drive a chipped Lupo Gti on coilies and love it to bits but I'd bet my wage packet it wouldn't see which way a cooper S went in a back road blast. I prefer the Lupo now simply for it's styling, exclusivity and the fact that I have become heavily embroiled in the vw scene but make no mistake the cooper s is a damn fine car.

thats the one bud! i last went init wen it was 260bhp but this 364 is goin to be unreal!

ill post sum pics of it next to my loop wen he gets it back.

I presume you know that your uncles car has now dynoed at a mega 391 BHP / 300 lbft?!

I bet it will be an absoloute monester on the road.

yeh they said that on a cool day and a better fan it will be pushin 400bhp. he said in 4th gear if anythin over takes you it has to be sumthin special lol. i cant wait to get a ride in that.