throttle bodies

stevie_wonder

You'll need programmable mapping of some description with TB's. How you choose to to that is upfor debate DIY/DTA EXP48 type. I'd go for a standalone DTA engine management system and a kit from Badger 5 but thats just me.

To buy a complete set-up from Badger 5 l'd be suprised if you have much change from £2.5-3k once its up and running including mapping runs etc?

As was said before, LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI will be able to give you accurate costs.

Chris

Indeed. I know the Badger 5 kit including DTA is around £2500. Then unless you do it yourself you have fitting, set-up, consumables and RR time to add.

Chris

seems like a really big jobby then but i think it'l be worth it when combined with my cams sports cat manifold and catback system got major plans for the wee lupo just need to get my budget sorted and i'l be laughing thanks for the help guys its amazing how it throttle bodies and a stand alone ecu made his car 167bhp tho didnt think they were that impressive

• 1 year later...
Guest LupoJoe

thats madness, i worked out a price for my 106rallye (gti engine) and for a set of bike throttle bodies, an inlet made up by sandy brown, a standalone AND mapping it was going to come out at around 1300 and that set up usualy gives around 170bhp-180... if theres enough intrest ill give sandy a ring about inlet manifolds to see if he would be interested in making some for the lupo to fit bike throttle bodies

they cost around £100 second hand off ebay and still give good gains/sound

Bike throttle bodies are ****e for a car engine.

They are designed to work with a high reving engine, not a car engine.

Your better off using some old carbs and cutting them up.

TBH the only reason why Darrens cost so much was down to him having everything done for him.

You can to most of it yourself, it's not gonna cost more than £2000 to use propper equipment.

I've spent less than half of that and that includes parts which I've now sold on!

Guest LupoJoe
Bike throttle bodies are ****e for a car engine.

They are designed to work with a high reving engine, not a car engine.

Your better off using some old carbs and cutting them up.

TBH the only reason why Darrens cost so much was down to him having everything done for him.

You can to most of it yourself, it's not gonna cost more than £2000 to use propper equipment.

I've spent less than half of that and that includes parts which I've now sold on!

i know longer trumpets give more torque and shorter ones usualy mean more revs, but a LOT of people have seen good gains on 106 gti's with bike throttle bodies, there is no issue with them when lots of people are pushing a reliable 170bhp, carbs are ****e and you wouldn't see the same gains as you would on bike bodies.

iv'e pm'd sandy brown about an inlet being made up, if theres enough interest off here ill get a price once iv'e had mine done, at the minute im getting some pictures of the engine bay together to send him so he can have a good look

he's allready said they are going to look into it and then look at making an inlet mani

he also does mapping and im willing to put my neck on the line and say i bet with decent cams ill see the same gains as people do with jenvies etc, as said 106gti's take very well to them so theres no reason this engine shouldnt

Power isnt the problem.

Its low down (as in under 5'000rpm!) thats the issue with bike bodies.

Its got nothing to do with the trumpets, its down to the shape and angle of the throttle body.

Guest LupoJoe
Power isnt the problem.

Its low down (as in under 5'000rpm!) thats the issue with bike bodies.

Its got nothing to do with the trumpets, its down to the shape and angle of the throttle body.

i know i was pointing out that trumpet size does effect torque, and who caares if it isnt quick below a certain rpm, it aint a diesel, if i want to go quick in it ill simply drop it down a gear

and youre branding all bike bodies, the k1's that are commonly used have been proven to give just as good gains as the silly expensive jenvies

i dont see the point in paying more for something thats no better

arent bike bodies a problem due to their angle and the fact they are pretty open and shut hence the problems at below a set point e.g as said 5k.

Edited by scotty_82

I paid around £400 for brand new Jenveys.

Don't see the point is spending £300 on someone to fabricate a set up to be used with Bike bodies!

If you were gonna knock up an inlet manifold yourself then yeah, may be worth saving a couple of hundred quid and buying some bike items, but you'll end up spending more on mapping time once its all done.

Take a look at this graph of a Lupo GTI on 'proper' throttle bodies.

Notice how smooth the curve is, you wouldn't get that with bike bodies.

And if you only want a spike at the top end of the rev range, you may as well fit a big turbo.

LUPO___ROLLING_ROAD_GRAPHS_IN_WORD_DOCUMENT.doc

It was ubber smooth.

So smooth intact that you had to look at the speedo to realise just how fast you was going.

Obviously I've gone for short horns and no inlet manifold so mine will look nothing like that! LOL