9n3 Polo GTI

Grapo

• 2 months later...

I will copy and paste in the story that I have posted on another site:

Okay, here is the story so far.

The car was stolen through burglery on Friday at 3.10pm. I had a phone call at 5am on monday morning to tell me the car had been found by the police and was in a police compound. Not quite sure why they had to ring me at 5am, and once again at 8am, as there isnt anything I can do at this point. Kent police decided to take the case over from Met police as they were searching a guys flat/house and found my car keys and the manual thingy in his flat. They rang me to notify me they had someone in custody (this was tuesday morning) and were going over to the compound to test the car key out.

After that they came to take a statement from me as I had seen a little bit of the guy who stole the car as it was driven away. They have told me that the car looks to be in one piece, obviously the insurance company has to go and view the car and make sure there is no mechanical damage before deciding whether I can have the car back or a claim is needed. The police told me that this guy, who is only 18, works in some sort of car stealing/ house burglery gang of about 8 people and does this thing all the time. The car was untouched and left someone, presumably waiting to see if it had a tracker, before probably being sold on. They also told me that their vehicle of choice is normally Golf GTI's so I think they must have mistaken my car for one.

Anyway spoke to the insurance company this morning and they are going to call back and arrange a viewing of the car once the police have done their CSI shizzle on it at the compound.

Then:

Got the car back yesterday. There is no damage except for a small mark on one of the back alloys, and the car drives as it did. The inside of the car is filthy and still covered in fingerprint dust stuff the forensics (sp?) used. Got a nice sticker on the windscreen "This vehicle has been fingerprint examined", could put potential thieves off!

Not sure what to do; after driving the car for a bit yesterday and today I think I might keep it. Its a good car, just needs a big clean up to make it feel normal again. Might buy it a remap as a present.

Now:

Been driving the car about for a while now and I think I will keep it.

Whats annoying is the guy has pleeded not guilty so I may have to go to court as apparently I am an "important witness" even though I saw the back of his head only. Annoying.

Blimey, pleased you got it back.

I assume if they are a professional (ish) gang they won't have ragged the nuts off it!?

Blimey, pleased you got it back.

I assume if they are a professional (ish) gang they won't have ragged the nuts off it!?

I dont really know; doesnt appear to have any adverse reaction to it. Nothing more than taking it for a dealer service no doubt!

Looks mint Graeme! The RW's really suit it!

Good to know you've gone for a top-notch set of coilovers too ;)

Essentially the Eibach Pro-Street coilovers are V1's but without the Inox-line icorrosion proofing. Still excelent nonetheless. Out of interest how much did you pay for them? As I've noticed Eibach Seem to be trying to price themselves out of the market on coilovers in the past few months!

Looks mint Graeme! The RW's really suit it!

Good to know you've gone for a top-notch set of coilovers too ;)

Essentially the Eibach Pro-Street coilovers are V1's but without the Inox-line icorrosion proofing. Still excelent nonetheless. Out of interest how much did you pay for them? As I've noticed Eibach Seem to be trying to price themselves out of the market on coilovers in the past few months!

Cheers Al.

I think they were about £570. Not cheap but not as expensive as others. They actually say made by KW on the struts, however they dont seem as hard as the V1's I had on my Lupo. It handles adequately but not as well as the Lupo GTI on V1's. This is probably down to the car, not the eibachs I'd say.