Tyre wear on lowered cars

Had my coilovers fitted at the start of the year and set at 60mm lowered at the front of my GTi.

I believe from memory the front wheels were set at 3 degrees when being tracked

Took the wheels off this weekend and both the front inside tyre walls are worn down to the white linings.

Is this normal. Will sort out a pic tonight when I get home

If this is normal. Whats the best advice for prolonging the life of the tyres. Lower psi ??

Edited by RallyeBaz

I just reread it, 3 degrees! thats an awful lot, you should be looking at 0.3 or something, ive fogotten what they should be now but mine are parallel.

Autodata says somehting like 1 +/- 1 i think.

Too much toe out means you will have a bit of a dead sport on the steering from centre.

god knows what mine is at :lol: prob 5degrees :lol: you can actually see the camber on mines being out by a mile but its so the 15's fit :lol:

on the subject of tyre wear , if you stiffen the car up with coilovers etc the tyres will be working harder so you will wear through them faster

Well i was taking about camber up there ^^

Camber wise ive no idea, i had a right shew with mine, now they are pretty straight i think.

I dont really like cars with camber, so i wanted mine as straight as they go ;)

Edited by cardaft

My camber sits about -2, and my last set of Proxes on the front lasted no time at all and were completely slick on the inside. Don't think they could get mine in much less, but I think they were a bunch of cowboys! I have the computer printout at home somewhere.You could try getting the camber adjusted - that should improve the tyre wear on the inside a bit.

I run negative 2.4 on the front. Tyres just wear quickly due to hard surspension and large negative camber. The least I can get mine is negative 2.4 as coilovers wont also any more adjustment (i might get some H and R camber adjusters tho)

Lupowheels006.jpg

Cannot find the printout but believe it is set at 1.5 degrees as the guy reckons any less would foul the arch

Thats very bad! the rest of the tyre looks ok.

The tracking is either seriously out or the camber is way out, and/or your pressures are too low.

anyone want to hazard a guess at mine :lol:

DSC00328.jpg

:o Thats a strange angle :huh: i have a thing about camber angles :lol: , i like mine set as straight as i can have them ;)

Dont your tyres wear funny?

Does it effect grip when they are lent that far over?

I noticed when i got my camber straightened up that the grip was better.

Thats very bad! the rest of the tyre looks ok.

The tracking is either seriously out or the camber is way out, and/or your pressures are too low.

:o Thats a strange angle :huh: i have a thing about camber angles :lol: , i like mine set as straight as i can have them ;)

Dont your tyres wear funny?

Does it effect grip when they are lent that far over?

I noticed when i got my camber straightened up that the grip was better.

the camber is pretty much well and truely out , also in that pic the wheel was turned a fraction so you could see the angle :lol: with reguards to grip , with the 14's on , by christ does it grip going round corners , i think its fantastic . with the 15's on the tyres are more of a winter tyre and they have been stretched so i didnt want to rally it as much . tyre wear , ive done about 5/6k miles on a brand new set of tyres and you can only just start to see wear on the front ( not nearly as much wear as there is on the backs from them rubbing on the arch ) so all i would need to do is to rotate them round and problem solved :lol:

That tyre wear is not to do with camber, you can tell that because the tread on the tyre is even and the wear is very concentrated. It's probably been rubbing on your coilovers or a brake line or something. Check for signs of rubbing in the arch on various sticky outy bits and I'm sure you'll soon find the source of your problem ;)

Edited by lupodave

That tyre wear is not to do with camber,

yeah it is , if your leaning heavily on the edge of the tyre your going to burn it out first and not evenly across the tyre

I still think you'd get more uneven wear across the whole tyre though if it was camber related but hey ho. Just look at Phil's (Philplop). From the pic above, the wear looks very concetrated on the shoulder of the tyre so unless you're running so much camber that only the shoulder of the tyre is on the deck...!

Edited to add:

Was longer than 3 months ago! Cheers.

Well, the bathursts are back on, unfortunately, due to this:

Photo-0149-1.jpg

Maybe stance isn't that good after all, done less than 1000 miles.

Gutted to be honest. :(

Oh, and it's worse than it looks in the pics.

Edited by lupodave

with phils i would of said if he had caught it about a month earlier he could of switched the tyres round so that the worn down side was on the outside and worn the tyres down evenly and got more out of them

That tyre wear is not to do with camber, you can tell that because the tread on the tyre is even and the wear is very concentrated. It's probably been rubbing on your coilovers or a brake line or something. Check for signs of rubbing in the arch on various sticky outy bits and I'm sure you'll soon find the source of your problem ;)

You could be correct as everytime I leave the work car park on full lock, there is a rubbing noise as the car hits a uneven surface on the tarmac.

Will take off the wheel and have a good look under the arch

You could be correct as everytime I leave the work car park on full lock, there is a rubbing noise as the car hits a uneven surface on the tarmac.

Will take off the wheel and have a good look under the arch

I rest my case...

• 3 weeks later...
Had my coilovers fitted at the start of the year and set at 60mm lowered at the front of my GTi.

I believe from memory the front wheels were set at 3 degrees when being tracked

Took the wheels off this weekend and both the front inside tyre walls are worn down to the white linings.

If this is normal. Whats the best advice for prolonging the life of the tyres. Lower psi ??

The rideheight don't have much to do with the tyre wear, but of course if you slam the car when you use to have a correct setting the car will have something that is called toe in. Think of your feet when you stand up, put your toes in towards each other and your heels from each other. ;)

When I have my car aligned I always say that I want 2,5 degrees negative camber and zero degrees toe, when the wheels roll straight the tyre wear don't get that big. The reason for the big camber in my case is that the tires I use on the track needs more camber so they'll have more contact with the track when cornering... If you don't have a lot of camber on the trackdays the front tires don't have any outsides left sort of as some of you might have noticed. :)

On a car that you only use on the street with street tires I would use a little less camber, perhaps 1-1,5 degrees neg camber, but still with a zero toe in/out...

Here is a link: http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html

Edited by peepin_eyes