turbo'ing a GTI?

Dom's dub GTI

well i have not heard of cars running turbo's or superchargers with out having a standalone ecu

if your lookin at doin anything more than a remap, different turbo and like air filter ,exhaust ur gonna need a standalone management for sure on the 1.8t lump. ive got an emerald on minething is wiv the standard ecu is you cant map them well enough

Dubya has a rothe turbo in one of his lupos.

The rothe conversion (where you take your car to them, they fit turbo, uprated pistons, sort compression ratio out etc etc etc) comes out as 9,000 euros. :coffee:

HAHA and the rest! its about £8,000, of there abouts. the full monty like you said is about 12000 euros with a custom exhaust system thrown in.

the car on turbogti.de also has the piston and con rod work, its the same kit from what i can see just he did it himself and saved 50% of the cost!

Also turbogti.de used a mk4 golf 1.8T ECU,

S3-1UPO - Im talking about using the 1.6 engine and the 1.8T management, after putting a KKK 03/04 (havend decided) turbo on it. I would think the 1.8T ecu has the parameteter windows large enough to get the loop in tune.

To be honest it would be pushing 225-230bhp, hitting 60 in 5 seconds and topping out at about 140ish so i dont think a after market set up with custom tuning would be necessary, as it will probably be enough!

Think its time to look in to the management set up..........

HAHA and the rest! its about £8,000, of there abouts. the full monty like you said is about 12000 euros with a custom exhaust system thrown in.

the car on turbogti.de also has the piston and con rod work, its the same kit from what i can see just he did it himself and saved 50% of the cost!

Also turbogti.de used a mk4 golf 1.8T ECU,

S3-1UPO - Im talking about using the 1.6 engine and the 1.8T management, after putting a KKK 03/04 (havend decided) turbo on it. I would think the 1.8T ecu has the parameteter windows large enough to get the loop in tune.

To be honest it would be pushing 225-230bhp, hitting 60 in 5 seconds and topping out at about 140ish so i dont think a after market set up with custom tuning would be necessary, as it will probably be enough!

Think its time to look in to the management set up..........

well i would say he knows his way around a wiring loom and is running sensors from a 18t and a custom map will be on that car as it still needs it as its a 1.6 16v not a 1.8 20v so you will need a full remap anyway i would look at cost of getting it to work over the cost of a stand alone ecu as i bet its cheaper to buy and fit a lets say megasquirt ecu than to get the 20v ecu to work :huh:

Your very true, been researching in to it today and its alot cheaper to get an aftermarket management system and get it RR tuned!

Might just stick to rothe doing it, there the profesionals... If it was an aeroplane then id do it, but its far from it!

There lead time for the whole job is a week and a half minimum, so looks like ill take a holiday next year for a couple of weeks and go round the nuremburg.... leave it in a barrier, come back in an ambulance and then be forever in debt!

Ideal huh?

Your very true, been researching in to it today and its alot cheaper to get an aftermarket management system and get it RR tuned!

Might just stick to rothe doing it, there the profesionals... If it was an aeroplane then id do it, but its far from it!

There lead time for the whole job is a week and a half minimum, so looks like ill take a holiday next year for a couple of weeks and go round the nuremburg.... leave it in a barrier, come back in an ambulance and then be forever in debt!

Ideal huh?

haha well it wont be be cheap but i will have first dips on your engine when you stack it lol :shades:

its my main worry is when i first start driving mine will i be a c*ck and get banned or crash :wacko:

HA... thats if the engine is recoverable! not in 1500 peices scattered all over the german countryside!

I know its not gonna be cheap. ive been saving quite a long time now, at the same time going to get S2 brake set up, or if i can afford it some willwood pots. Put it on variant 2 K&W's and a nice set of compomotive alloys in white!... not that they will stay white for long with the ammount of braking im going to be doing!

Hope to have it done in about 9 months, providing i dont loose my job!

HA... thats if the engine is recoverable! not in 1500 peices scattered all over the german countryside!

I know its not gonna be cheap. ive been saving quite a long time now, at the same time going to get S2 brake set up, or if i can afford it some willwood pots. Put it on variant 2 K&W's and a nice set of compomotive alloys in white!... not that they will stay white for long with the ammount of braking im going to be doing!

Hope to have it done in about 9 months, providing i dont loose my job!

well all i can say is good luck and hope it comes off as it will be a weapon when its done :shades:

What happened to your charged one? or is it still work in progress?

still building it its all shell prep at the mo so very boring :wacko:

if i was you i would use a ko3 on your car as a ko4 is tooo big for your 1.4 you will blow it up in no time

The K04's not that much bigger than a K03... I'm using a K03 to good effect on a 1.3 8v motor, if I was looking at a 1.6 16v lump a K04 would seem to fit the bill - or perhaps something a bit larger depending on the motor spec.

Fitting a massive turbo to a small engine isn't going to automatically blow it up - you've got to spool the damn thing first, then get naughty with the wastegate control to start making silly enough boost to cause damage. Bear in mind the stock actuators supplied with the likes of K03/K04 turbos have soft springs for low base boost settings - on the 20v motors the good old N75 valve bleeds off boost pressure from the actuator vac line to keep the wastegate shut long enough to make decent amounts of boost. I stuck a K03 on my Polo motor with standard actuator settings, and only got 0.3 bar of boost.

For the record, my limited experience of Rothe stuff is good. My manifold and downpipe were secondhand, and have taken plenty of abuse so far without any grief.

Edited by amstrange1