knocking from front passenger side??

i have a annoying little problem which i may just be being paranoid about but is definetly there. when i set off or ease off and then accelerate again theres a small knock from my passenger side front like maybe the suspension strut or something. any ideas?? its hard to describe but very annoying and i'm worried something is wrong

i have a annoying little problem which i may just be being paranoid about but is definetly there. when i set off or ease off and then accelerate again theres a small knock from my passenger side front like maybe the suspension strut or something. any ideas?? its hard to describe but very annoying and i'm worried something is wrong

I've got this problem too, it p*sses me off a treat. Is yours lowered at all? Ive narrowed it down to top mounts or engine mounting. Thing is, i think its coming more from the drivers side / middle or the car. I can hear it in the car, but not so much if i put the windows down and listen (obviously at low speed because of wind noise rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />). So it must be something touching the body of the car...

It won't be the driveshaft as the the drivers one would it a long time before the pasenger side does. It could be top mounts, try a bit of WD40 on the top of them and underneath them (you'll have to take the wheel off to get to the underside). Mine creaked a bit and me and mitch didn't have a clue where it was coming from, but a couple of squirts WD40 later and it eventually went away and it hasn't came back ( touch wood).

You could also jack your car up and have a butchers on the underside of any visible rubbing that may be going on.

It doesnt sound so much like squeaking or creaking, more like something touching the body of the car. Im going to do the top mounts anyway, and replace the bushes all round too just because the car has done 40k and im going to do everything inc cambelt, plugs, all filters etc. Ive still got a suspicion that its the drivers side engine mounting though, it may have leaked but theres been so much crap weather it most probably wont show. Going to put the car over my cousins pit and have a good old root around to sort it once and for all! (Will keep you posted)

nahh no way it can be a drive shaft, its not that low, loads of people are lower than i am, does annoy me tho. somethimes has multiple knocks when i am on full lock left going slow?? any ideas?

if the noise is coming when on full lock its the cv joint tjats gone had this problem before on the arosa, or the other thing it could be a bearing gone which has happened to me too from running wide wheels, hope this helps rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Check your engine mounts. I've had this before with another car & it turned out the rear mount had worn so badly that the movement of the engine was banging the exhaust against the centre tunnel.

I was just about to suggest that too smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Sounds like a good possibility, if its not the drive shaft.

Would have expected a CV joint or bearing to be more of a grinding noise.....

thing is a month ago it has a full service and cam belt change at vw, they should have noticed if something was wrong!

they wouldnt have checked cv joints at a service, and sometimes there is no noise for days on ends the problem could happen overnight with the cv, its just when there is no grease left in the rubber boot covering the joint. if the noise is happening at full lock its defo cv. just check the large rubber around the cv joint just behind the wheel for any tears and feel if there is any grease inside it. just speaking from experience unfortunaly angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" />

they wouldnt have checked cv joints at a service, and sometimes there is no noise for days on ends the problem could happen overnight with the cv, its just when there is no grease left in the rubber boot covering the joint. if the noise is happening at full lock its defo cv. just check the large rubber around the cv joint just behind the wheel for any tears and feel if there is any grease inside it. just speaking from experience unfortunaly

yer it sounds like it could be this, is it an expensive job?? i was driving in the rain earlier and it wasnt knocking??

Max im pretty sure what you said about the engine mounting and knocking exhaust is the problem. I've had the car on a ramp and been underneath. Everything is spot on, nothing rattles or moves about. My exhaust bracket was sorted about a month or so back, and that cured it for a week ish. But im thinking that may have gone again because of the strain of the mounting. Its the fluid filled one, so it cant be cushioning the engine properly...