which disks to go for??

Matty_Gti

well i have the carriers to make the 280mm brake upgrade on my gti but have been looking for discs and am unsure wat to go for, my options are;

Black diamond drilled

Black diamond grooved

Tar ox grooved (lots of grooves)

Tar ox grooved (fewer grooves)

3g

rotor discs

standard discs, non drilled or grooved

which of the above is best? is it worth paying the extra money for the likes of black diamond over a standard disc?

I wouldnt go for standard VW pads tho (guessing your changing them when you change disks) Id get greenstuff pads. The VW ones create soo much brake dust and squeal real bad after only a few weeks, then you got to take apart regrease and clean. Right pain in the ass. Had EBC drilled and slotted disks and greenstuff pads of my sport which didnt do this at all, but didnt feel as smooth as my 280mm vw disks and pad setup now, tho Il certainly be changing to greenstuff pads when mine needs replacing, dont like these VW pads at all

any more input guys?

Definately get green stuff pads mate, otherwise your wheels will be covered in carbon all the time! Black diamond drilled are quite good, all depends on how much you wanna pay really!

Good luck!

Grooved discs are noisy under heavy breaking but they look nicer beind the rims, greenstuff pads reduce dust over standard items, Ebc 10% discount at moment, the greenstuff pads can glaze over occassionally and squeel, but they won't fade as much when you slam on your breaks to avoid the queing traffic on the m25. tbh you would not notice under normal every day driving conditions.

Ive got black diamond combi disks with greenstuff pads. They never fade in my experience anyway, but i do think that the pads could have a bit more initial bite. Dont make that much dust though compared with normal. I probably will try mintex next time, ive heard that they are that little bit extra grippy on initial braking.

you want brembo max grooved disks and mintex extreme pads or pagid you wont find a better combo i can assure you

mintex bite and you know your gona stop no matter how late you leave it they wont fail you no fade very little dust and the last a loooong time!

brembo part number is: 09.5570.75 for the 2.0 golf mk 3 280mm disks

Edited by eXXXtreme arosa

you want brembo max grooved disks and mintex extreme pads or pagid you wont find a better combo i can assure you

mintex bite and you know your gona stop no matter how late you leave it they wont fail you no fade very little dust and the last a loooong time!

brembo part number is: 09.5570.75 for the 2.0 golf mk 3 280mm disks

Ive got brembo grooved discs on mine with pagid pads, they are great, amazing diference than the standard setup.

Edited by DUB JIMBOB

im currently in the same situation ive already bought greenstuff pad but not sure which disks to go for ive found blackdiamond drilled and grooved for 150quid. i might just go for the ebce drilled and grooved tho they are supposed to be really good!

Black Diamonds are nearly black when you get them, but as soon as you use them the coating wears off and they just look like normal discs. Its a bit gutting really as i fancied them as i thought they would look like pretty cool behind my BBS'.