Camber Question...

Right,

I took my 'rosa' in to get the camber sorted out on it! i had a phone call from them and saying i have a bent shock absorber, so the front left wheel is still out 1.9 degrees?! i am just wondering if a bent shock can happen?? the car has been lowered 40mm all around and keeps wearing out tyres on the inside of them on the front and is costing me alot of cash! anyone got any help ??

a bent shockie ? im trying to think how the hell you could of done that bar smashing it into a pavement at some point . here i wouldnt worry to much my front drivers side camber is WELL out but i cant find anyone who can ajust it laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Seems to be an arosa thing.

I got mine checked and the n/s was way out, so they adjusted it the best they could but it was still of the scale. So i got someone to take a look at it and jack the car up to see if they could get anymore movement. They ended up filing the hole huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> so it has more movement. Now its about right and isnt wearing the tyres at all.

Well on the outside edge now but its probably my cornering laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

The garage tried to tell me that the suspension arm must be bent and that its been in an accident because the back wheel is also out. But its not, it still had the original rear tyres on when i got it which were worn normally. And it looks the same as the other wheel on the other side.

So i put it down to a faulty camber/tracking machine at the garage, as it looks spot on now but its still only just on their scale wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" /> idiots wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Edited by cardaft

cheers guys, maybe i should just get some coilies!! i think the garage i went too was a bit dodgy anyway but no other garage could do it! any one rate any good coilies for a budget price or not??

Buy some camber bolts and fit them to the front. They have an excentric that turns as you tighten, so that you can reset to your stock camber settings when massively lowered. Don't ever file out the whole in a strut... They're designed to take a pressure loading, and filing them out will weaken the platework. It's your life. Simple.

As for bending a strut... It's not possible, without it jamming up totally and leaking like a good 'un. If anything is bent, it'll be the hub. To bend the hub, you'll be looking at a fcuked wheel for sure smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

"Don't ever file out the whole in a strut... They're designed to take a pressure loading, and filing them out will weaken the plate work. It's your life. Simple".

I don't think filing a couple of mm out of the holes would be life threatening.

Just fitted some FK coilovers, the holes where such a small size that there was hardly any room for camber adjustment.

The H&R shocks that I'd taken off had oval shaped holes to allow for this, so filed abit out to match.

Edited by vworks41

Don't ever file out the whole in a strut... They're designed to take a pressure loading, and filing them out will weaken the platework. It's your life. Simple.

As for bending a strut... It's not possible, without it jamming up totally and leaking like a good 'un. If anything is bent, it'll be the hub. To bend the hub, you'll be looking at a fcuked wheel for sure smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

My car was at full adjustment and it was still out, according to the garages computer, which i swear is wrong. So the hole was filed SLIGTHLY, its not life threatening in the slightest, i know how much has been removed and its minimal.

It drives much better with the camber set right.

Could be a bent suspension arm though, a bent hub would make the wheel wobble more than anything.

My 1.0 has a bent hub, thanks Seat dealer mad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> .

Don't ever file out the whole in a strut... They're designed to take a pressure loading, and filing them out will weaken the plate work. It's your life. Simple.

I don't think filing a couple of mm out of the holes would be life threatening.

Just fitted some FK coilovers, the holes where such a small size that there was hardly any room for camber adjustment.

The H&R shocks that I'd taken off had oval shaped holes to allow for this, so filed abit out to match.

Yeah i agree, there is pleanty of metal there, its not like the hole is now very near the egde of the metal.

when you have run out of adjustment on the shocks you buy camber bolts.

they are only £35 and are the best and safest solution. they aslo keep their allignment longer than adjustment on the standard shock bolts as you cant fully tighten them when at the limits of camber adjustment on standard setup.

I bow down to your Superior knowledge. If you're happy doing it, then do it. When it fatigue's don't come crying... smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Agree with Dubya here. It is not just a case of a few mm of material removal and the thought of "it isn't much material to remove". Your filing may leave a burr or nick which could act as a stress raiser allowing a crack to propagate through the strut metal.

If the strut was bend the damper shaft would most likely not travel through the seals concentrically and you would lose strut pressure. Most likely the hub is bent or the lower balljoint plate.

For reference my left front hub has always been manufactured so that it will not adjust as vertically (ie:always wants to have more negative camber) that the right front hub has had. I just set the right one the same as the limit of the left one and run 2.5deg negative on both sides. Do not copy me though as my front tyre life is about 6000 miles but it gives me amazing turn-in and prevents the wheels touching the arch lips.

I bow down to your Superior knowledge. If you're happy doing it, then do it. When it fatigue's don't come crying... smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

No need to be like that dubya, it was only my view.

But i can see both you and LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI's points.

I did use a very fine file to do it and also finished it off with abit of wet & dry incase of any little edges.

The holes are finished off better now than when it came out the factory.

I can see what you are saying yes, but ive done 8K miles with it since it had the camber sorted out, and no problems at all. Hard cornering over rough uneven surfaces and nothing has moved or anything. If it was going to go its more than likely it would have gone already.

Only one hole was filed and very slightly, it wouldnt have been done if there was going to be any problems.

Im happy driving it, i dont feel in the slightest that its unsafe because its not. It was filed by hand with a small round file so it wouldnt have caused any lines that would open up.

How do camber bolts give extra movement?

Where can I get some of these camber bolts? (I have a GTi that requires some, because the same as above, camber is well out, and nobody can adjust them).

Thanks!

I understand how these work now, but if you cant move the base of the srut any more for adjustment to start with how can they move it more? huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />