Little Problem (Now just another mod lol)

scoobydoo

ok so just found out the engine in my car is dead as is the gear box. so basically i need a new engine and gear box. other than the 1.4s currently in there what else would be a reasonably straight swap. the car is 1999 1.4s AHW. Dont want a nasty conversion as i dont have time to do it myself so someone will be gettin payed for it.

Cheers

Glen

Edited by scoobydoo

In order of difficulty I think it goes straight swap, sport, early polo gti, lupo gti. I sure someone will tell me if I am wrong.

If you dont go for a straight swap your going to need other bits as well,like a ecu, loom.

Its a ideal chance to get a bit more power though looky

i had a look at that and was also lookin at a polo gti. and ur right it is a disaster but a bigger engine would be fun.

i need to know what is involved in the two stated engines to get everythin running.

Edited by scoobydoo

There is a post somewhere where mitch put a polo gti engine in his lupo. Noddy put a sport engine in his 1.4s and is now putting in a lupo gti engine. I am not too sure, never done it. I think they might be able to help though.

here

it just felt a bit lumpy and then made a noise that sounded like a hair dryer. i thought the clutch had went and i had a new one anyway so was quite happy happy. it had bin loosin some oil but thought it was piston rings or somethin. it just didn feel right is all i can tell u!!

to b honest when i left it in i didn think there was goin to be a problem like this.

Glen

Can i just ask wot effects u noticed with ur engine on its way out? as my car has started running slow, it struggles to rev past 4k rpm and stops at 5, its a 1.4 sport and ive no idea wots wrong with it. (car is on 30713 miles V reg)

sounds just like what i had when the cam belt tensioner was ****ed it felt like i was pulling a caravan around with me

the easiest way to do this is to have everything from the donor car, wiring from front to rear, and full front cradle with all parts atatched, everything is pretty straightforward unless your a total spanner virgin, or no mech knowledge at all, but yes mine was out and in running in a day.

ive taken an engine from a car and put it in a hand built off roader but never from car to car. i figurre that was easier as i built my own engine mounts and stuff.

anywho is there a particular polo gti engine to go with?

Cheers

Glen

Edited by scoobydoo

Gonna have a blast at this myself i reckon.

Will the engine sit on the lupos original mounts.

is there a certain polo engine i should look for.

Cheers

Glen

Front end of a Lupo is identical to the B Pillar to a Polo so you shouldn't have any trouble swapping engines over smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers folks. I have got an AVY 2001 polo with five speed box, one drive shaft need to source another, wiring loom, gear linkage, ecu. Hopefully dont need much else other than loadsa redbull.

Gettin delivered from nottingham so now its just a waiting game really.

should prob head over to the garage and get the interior out for the wiring soon before it all turns up and everythin gets messy

Glen

cheers fella. not to sure if the loop ones work. if they do then i wont need one but if i need polo specific ones i'll giv u a shout. should find out the side today.

sweet! just thought the splines may have been different or somethin. ran into a small problem already. the guy im buying the engine off sold the loom to a breakers and now the breakers cant find the damn thing. leaves me stuck big style.

Glen

the guy is havin a look for it tonight and givin me a buzz tomo. also lookin at a couple of scrappers to c if one comes up. really need to get the car back on the road in a few weeks.

Glen

currently looking for a new loom. does the loom need to be for the same engine code or just the same model and year.

Cheers

Glen

good luck.

better off buying stand alone management. and running alongside your std ecu.