Using a Ethernet cable via your Laptop to the modem

RallyeBaz

Running Windows XP on the laptop and have the PS3 connected to the side via the Ethernet lead

Then the Laptop connects to the modem via the blue USB lead. ( Wired connection )

Entered the IP codes on the PS3 and shows the PS3 connects via the Laptop but getting error code 80710102

Speaking to the guy in HMV he spent hours trying to connect his Xbox 360 online with the same problem.

Any ideas ??

It took me like a day to get my PS2 and 360 connected to the internet, the PS2 was connected exactly the same way as you are trying to connect your PS3 to the net, but my 360 goes through my wireless router.

If the PS3 setup is anything like the 360, you may be able to copy the settings you need directly from your PC on a USB flash drive. You have to create a new network connection on your PC and there is a wizard you can go through, it will then ask you to plug your USB flash drive into a USB port, it will then copy all of the relevant settings you need to the USB disk thingy me bob, then pull it out, take it to your PS3 and there should (hopefully) be an install setting on there where it asks you to plug in the USB drive, it will then take all of the settings from there and fingers crossed it should work. Sorry i can't be more descriptive, i'm at work so i can't double check everything.

Failing that, can you not ring the Sony helpline and quote the error code? Let us know how it goes.

That is another thing i had to do as Unheard has said, bridge the network connections.

Edited by Adam

Failing that, can you not ring the Sony helpline and quote the error code? Let us know how it goes.

I was left holding on the Sony Helpline for 25 minutes on Friday night. Eventually spoke to someone and they confirmed they cannot get involved with IP settings and to ring your internet provider. Only advice they could give was to disconnect the blue USB from the laptop for 15 minutes.

Surprise Surprise it did not solve the problem

Spend 10 quid on a cheap *switch* (make sure it's a switch, not a hub, so that all the ports will be forwarded without you having to mess around selecing which ones to enable). Plug switch into modem and laptop and ps3 into switch. Job done.

have you bridged the WAN and LAN conections?

In English ?? I have the IP and DNS settings. Strange as I have 2 IP addresses after checking Network connections

Spend 10 quid on a cheap *switch* (make sure it's a switch, not a hub, so that all the ports will be forwarded without you having to mess around selecing which ones to enable). Plug switch into modem and laptop and ps3 into switch. Job done.

Where do I get a switch from ??

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw...p;show_all=true

^^ there's a couple of switches on there. Better make it £20. A hub would also likely work, but avoid a router as that filters ports. Basically something that basically acts as if it was a physical connection btwn the cables, with no intelligence inside the box.

HTH.

Deek.

Edited by dxg

I agree with the above, but might be worth investing in a wireless modem/router for about £45ish, that'll give you 4 ports that you can use two of for the xbox and ps3 thn use the wireless for the lappy. get a brandname like netgear/linksys/3com etc, and you can't go far wrong.

Did you say in a previous topic/post you were getting a router from AOL? If so i would just wait till you get that, it will only be a week and it will be a Netgear router which are worth about £90 from PCWorld.

As for bridging the networks, right click on your new network connection (in the My Network Places) and click, properties then "bridge connection" or something similar. Again i'm at work and im on a mac so i can't get the exact details, sorry.

Did you say in a previous topic/post you were getting a router from AOL? If so i would just wait till you get that, it will only be a week and it will be a Netgear router which are worth about £90 from PCWorld.

As for bridging the networks, right click on your new network connection (in the My Network Places) and click, properties then "bridge connection" or something similar. Again i'm at work and im on a mac so i can't get the exact details, sorry.

I called AOL and they confirmed a wireless router is on its way, although they then slipped in that I need AOL talk. Checked the conditions and they taken over the phone calls while you still rent the BT line. Spoke to the misses and we cannot get out of the current BT Talk scheme, so unsure if AOL will still send the router.

Tried to bridge the connections tonight and it states ' To create a new bridge, you must select at least two LAN or High Speed Internet connections that are not being used by Internet Connection sharing '

I take it I need a switch or hub then ??

just buy a new router or switch, you can connect into a brand new port and this is the way the ps3 was designed to connect to the internet, aol sent my cousin a wireless router for free ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> he just rang up complaining about something and to stop him ranting they said he could have one. Mind you he did ask though

So your connecting your PS3 to your laptop.

So it goes:

Modem----Laptop----PS3

If you are you need a crossover cable not an ethernet smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

The Netgear wireless router turned up yesterday.

Managed to connect the laptop and PS3 via an ethernet lead, using 2 ports direct to the router.

Just downloaded GT HD free demo which took 7 hrs !!!

Looks like I need to get the broadband speed increased as I am only on 512.

Thanks for the advice guys and hopefully be able to get the laptop wireless when I have some more time this weekend.

Mat, you are exactly right! why didn't i think of this when i was explaining i had the same problem with my PS2. You can only use an ethernet if it goes straight into your modem. A crossover cable will cost you under £20 from PCworld, then that should solve the problems. Make sure you get the same or higher grade cable though, it should be written on your existing cable you got with the ps3, but it will more than likely be a Cat5e, thats what mine was for the PS2, although it may be Cat6. It wouldn't do you any harm to get a Cat6 cable, but don't get lower than a Cat5e. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Ignore everything i have said of you have your wireless router laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Pleased you got it sorted in the end though.

Edited by Adam

So your connecting your PS3 to your laptop.

So it goes:

Modem----Laptop----PS3

If you are you need a crossover cable not an ethernet smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

lol a crossover cable is still an ethernet cable its just crossed over rather than the same at both ends

as a patch cabel is, but they are both ethernet,

but its a good point you probably would have needed a crossover

unless the network card in either the laptop or ps3 switches to accomadade a patch, im not sure how many

do now but on my latest mobo it will take both for any situation as it just switches it inside the card,

Yes i did know that tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

I was making it more simple calling it an ethernet cable laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />