95ron or 98???

crash

i also used sum engine cleaner from halfords in my old car (it was on sale so i thought id give it a try) and with a full tank of sainsburys super and that 30quids worth of petrol did very close to 300miles. i believe that its also an engine cleaner and stops Hesitation, any1 else used this?

Can i get some confirmation on this -

1.4s, on the inside of my fuel take it say use 95ron - can I use the higher octaine without cause damage to my engine. I thought the lower octaine had more lead in it which lubricates a less advanced engine better??

I want to get some V power in Lupolina but don't want to hurt her!

leaded fuel was banned for general use in the 90's.

v power will be good for any petrol engine. its a healthy mix of goodness.

hurt her ?, the mental scars will never heal from being called 'lupolina' so hurting her is hardly going to be a problem

I usuall try to use TESCO 99 in the golf, but if not then v-power or ultimate will do

high octane fuel contains a fire retardant, so the fuel actually burns less well, less combustible. this is why its give better mpg i believe and it allows for ignition timing to be increased to make more power as it wont detonate so easily and cause internal engine problems.

correct me if i'm wrong.

ooo time for me to get sciencey!

Right lets think of an engine - you have the combustion chamber. Piston comes down, pressurises the chamber, and spark plugs ignites a set amount of fuel, sprayed into the chamber, causing an explosion which pushes the piston back out again, and the cycle repeats.

Now under pressure, fuels can ignite without an ignition source in the presence of air (oxygen) - if this happens, before the piston has fully returned and the spark plugs have fired, then you will get a small explosion, followed by another small explosion when the spark plugs fire - This is the engine "knocking"

Octane number is a measure of how hard it is for the fuel to auto-ignite under pressure. The higher the octane number the less likely the fuel will ignite of its own accord under pressure. So higher octane fuels are better for your car, because they reduce the chance of knocking. The chamber can close more fully before ignition and the fuel and air mixture is compressed more, giving a bigger bang when it finally is ignited and hence more power!

(Note: In diesel engines, it is prefered that the fuel ignites spontaneously with air under pressure (hence why diesels don't have spark plugs) - hence Cetane number is a measure of how easily the diesel ignites under pressure - the higher the cetane number, the higher chance of auto-ignition.)

Can i get some confirmation on this -

1.4s, on the inside of my fuel take it say use 95ron - can I use the higher octaine without cause damage to my engine. I thought the lower octaine had more lead in it which lubricates a less advanced engine better??

Shell VPower actually contains a friction reducing technology which reduces friction inside the engine, hence, meaning less engine wear, and more of the energy of the petrol converted to meaningful power, you'll have no worries

The previous post about lead being banned in petrol is very true. Lead was actually used in a compound (not as metal particles!) to increase octane number, however now branched hydrocarbons are used instead smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I never even knew tesco did a 99 RON fuel sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> lol.

Just wonderin, is there any difference between tesco's 99 RON and V-power?

Oh and i try to only ever put V-power in my sport, messed about with BP Ultimate and V-power, and notice personaly my car runs better on V-power.

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

V-Power has some Friction modulation technology (fancy chemicals) Tesco 99 Doesn't have, Tesco 99 is blended with 5.0% bio ethanol I believe to make it kinder to the environment (from plants which have taken up CO2 when growing)

According to an old petrol test done last year - somewhere (i've forgotten where) tesco 99 was better than Optimax (the link is on this forum somewhere), but at the time of writing V-power wasn't available.

I use V-power and have never had the chance to get hold of Tesco 99, as they only sell it in selected areas.

Ultimate is only 97RON, V-Power is 99RON and since they are priced similarly, I always go for V-Power. Any increase in octane number will help your car run better, just you won't see the full performance gains unless your car is specifically designed to run on it.

I was well and truly in the red yesterday so i put 25 quid of Tesco 99 in and the GTi didnt really like it i dont think. Not sure if i was using the last bit of 95 in the tank or what, but it just felt flat and didnt pull as well from 2-4k revs. I've used almost a quarter of the tank now, hoping i get rid of all the 95. Is redex a good idea as well, as the car is due a service soon and it could do with a clean out.

I was well and truly in the red yesterday so i put 25 quid of Tesco 99 in and the GTi didnt really like it i dont think

Funny you say that. I have always ran on Optimax and now V power. However I tried the Tesco 99 RON stuff when it came out and my car ran the worst it ever had. It was so bad that as soon as I got to 3/4 I brimmed with V power and then again at 3/4 to try to dilute the Tesco stuff as fast as I could. I would say the Tesco 99 RON made my car run as bad as it does on 95 RON (which I only use in an absolute emergency when there are no Shell stations about.

i wouldnt reccomend reddex or similar products, they only made the car run worse when i have used them. i think vpower is the best thing for putting in to be good to the fuel system. i use 50% v power and 50% sainsburys 97 octane. balances out at 98 for ideal gti fuel. and saves a bit of cash aswell.

hey i filled up with high octane from texaco! n although my car is only a 1.4s i could tell the difference dramatically... but its nearly gone already ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> i filled it up on saturday to half a tank from reserve n now its on half a tnk after half an hour steady drivin ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

It takes about three full tanks of one type of fuel to get pure fuel of that type... if that makes sense blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

hey i filled up with high octane from texaco! n although my car is only a 1.4s i could tell the difference dramatically... but its nearly gone already ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> i filled it up on saturday to half a tank from reserve n now its on half a tnk after half an hour steady drivin ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

Sounds alright to me. You filled it up to half full and it was still half full half an hour later. confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />