gettin into 1st

finally got my arosa on the road, its a 2000, 1.0 mk1, seems an ok car but its a pig to get it into 1st, have to put car into neutral, lift clutch, then reapply clutch to get it into 1st, even then its tough and im worried about snappin the ar lever. is there a simple cure/adjustment for this? thanks

My gears are really stiff, especially when the car is cold. Also I have trouble getting into reverse, sometimes it crunches. When i first got the car I took it to a mechanic, and he said that because they had steam cleaned the engine bay the gear linkages had become stiff. He sprayed the linkages with something, made it a bit easier, but its worse now what it ever was. it takes a few attemps to reverse up the drive on a morning sometimes sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

• 1 year later...

First of all 3 litres of Gearbox oil from VW is less than £15. So stop being a bunch of tight wads and get the gearbox oil changed.

Secondly my gearbox doesn't like selecting first gear, so I adjusted the clutch biting point (two nuts on top the gearbox) so that it was half way and it now selects first gear like a charm. Ideally at some point most Lupo/Arosa owners will want to look at having the gearbox linkages adjusted to ease the trouble of selecting all gears.

How often do people get their geabox oil changed? If ever?

I dont think its in the service book is it?

Ive had my gearbox oil changed, it has made the gearbox very smooth since the change too. The dealer also said it was qiute low on oil before i got it changed.

Most lupos seem to have a very slight gearbox oil leak, its always damp near the nearbox if you look. So it pays to get it toped up, or even better, changed.

First of all 3 litres of Gearbox oil from VW is less than £15. So stop being a bunch of tight wads and get the gearbox oil changed.

Secondly my gearbox doesn't like selecting first gear, so I adjusted the clutch biting point (two nuts on top the gearbox) so that it was half way and it now selects first gear like a charm. Ideally at some point most Lupo/Arosa owners will want to look at having the gearbox linkages adjusted to ease the trouble of selecting all gears.

Im planning to do the gearbox oilat the weekend , she only got it last saturday

Does anyone have some instructions / tips on adjusting the linkage?

cheers

Im planning to do the gearbox oilat the weekend , she only got it last saturday

Does anyone have some instructions / tips on adjusting the linkage?

cheers

When I refitted the Polos gearbox this week I had an issue with reverse, first and second while the car was running.

I adjusted the linkage too much, and had problems with 4th and 5th and reverse.

Got it almost right, only reverse a little iffy.

If you get under the car, at the gearbox end of the plastic linkage there is a 13mm bolt, which secures the thread in an elogated hole.

Slide the thread down a little (if I remember correctly!)