Snapped Cambelt?? **Updated**been diagnosed**

Sorry to hear this buck, We got our sports at the same time. I gona have to get mine done now I have heard what happened to you. Mines only done 28k now but it getting on now and never had change so I better get it done. Hope you get it sorted.

new info supersedes old service info but thats for vw to worry about. it's the fault of vw that its new, they would have to do the new service actions free of charge or if not then honor any claim if something went wrong using the old service schedule. its not the customers problem at all. otherwise its miss-selling the car.

yes that would stand but if full service history is not kept up you wouldent get the the extra booklets they do on warrenty when its serviced altering prespeced data.

Edited by little red devil

Little devil dude I comepletly agree with you.

Its completly wrong that they can get away from it, but they do.

They did with me, and my job for the past four years has been fighting warrenty claimes with dealerships.

Over 5 years old, they wont even hear it.

unless it has gone to court and vw has won then i would say that the customer has still the right to get any work done for no charge and even get compensation perhaps for the trouble.

but vw know people dont like going to court and getting costly legal professional advice.

magazines/tv shows can sometimes get them to do something without paying for legal services.

Edited by qually

Appologises ppl for not replying its all been a bit manic over the xmas period. Right I have had the car looked at now by a garage and here is the problem.

Apparently there is two belts, a smaller belt which runs inside of the cambelt. Well the top plastic tensioner had snapped (as i heard someone mention about these cheap tensioners) and dropped down into the cambelt thus causing the cambelt to snap.

I think he said that I've bent most of the valves sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> but hopefully nothing else is bent.

The head has to be skimmed slightly and the valves repaired or replaced sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Was quoted around £500 for the valves and head to be skimmed. How does this sound? reasonable or expensive??

Also could anyone tell me if this problem could have been spotted before. i.e a rattling?? The reason I ask is that for a while now there has been a rattling coming from my car in the engine area but only between around 2500 and 3500rpm. could the rattling have been this or is this another problem?? Could this be the exhaust at all??

Cheers Cannon Man. Wish i'd have gone for that one now, would have been cheaper in the long run. have you had to spend much money on yours at all?

Thanks, Sam.

Nope not had to spend much. Just £20 for fix the washer leak and some tyres and that it. Been everywhere in it biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> After sdi now biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Fuel is getting on the pricey side tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> cheep buger me lol

Was quoted around £500 for the valves and head to be skimmed. How does this sound? reasonable or expensive??

Providing that includes removal and re-fitting of the head - i.e. taking the car away and getting it back running

then yeh its a pretty good price.

Appologises ppl for not replying its all been a bit manic over the xmas period. Right I have had the car looked at now by a garage and here is the problem.

Apparently there is two belts, a smaller belt which runs inside of the cambelt. Well the top plastic tensioner had snapped (as i heard someone mention about these cheap tensioners) and dropped down into the cambelt thus causing the cambelt to snap.

I think he said that I've bent most of the valves sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> but hopefully nothing else is bent.

The head has to be skimmed slightly and the valves repaired or replaced sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Also could anyone tell me if this problem could have been spotted before. i.e a rattling?? The reason I ask is that for a while now there has been a rattling coming from my car in the engine area but only between around 2500 and 3500rpm. could the rattling have been this or is this another problem?? Could this be the exhaust at all??

Cheers Cannon Man. Wish i'd have gone for that one now, would have been cheaper in the long run. have you had to spend much money on yours at all?

Thanks, Sam.

Thats bad luck, hope you get it all sorted.

It sounds an ok price to me.

Nope not had to spend much. Just £20 for fix the washer leak and some tyres and that it. Been everywhere in it biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> After sdi now biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Fuel is getting on the pricey side tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> cheep buger me lol

£20 to fix the leak and new tyres, now that is cheap laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Chris