Lupo GTI Turbo conversion

Tigz™

Yup mate, with the loom and a VW base map.

The loom is only smal, but everything is almost labelled well, got t wait to get home to see what info is on the CD.

The four injector wires are labelled as follows:

INJ 1

INJ 2

INJ

(No label laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />)

I'll take some pics tonight, but my great wirless router packed in last night so I dont know if I'll be online tonight to post them!

Early next year I think the engine will run.

Then the hard bit..

Making everyting else work!

Help please anyone.

Below are the colours and what is printed on the wires.

I've added what I think they are but I'm starting to confuse myself..

Yellow – coolant.- Coolant.

Large Green – INJ 1 – Injector Batch 1 (1&2)

Large Blue – INJ 2 – Injector batch 2 (3&4)

Large Grey – IGN – Ignition.

Large Black – N/A – Earth.

Grey – TPS VREF – Throttle position sensor Power

Blue – TPS SIG - Throttle position sensor Signal

Purple – Fuel Pump – Fuel Pump.

Red – 12VDC – 12v power supply.

Pink – 02 – Oxygen Sensor

Orange – IAT – Intake Air Temp Sensor.

Brown – PIN 36 -

2 x Blue white stripe – IAC-A - Dont Need

Green – F IDLE – Fuel Idle Solenoid

2 x Green White stripe – IAC–B Dont Need

The two wires from the front of the ECU conect to the coil.

Edited by Tigz

Some info needed please.

Ignition.

I know the Lupo engine uses a wasted spark set up, but is this firing all four plugs together, or does it fire two plugs, then two plugs?

Whats the firing order?

Fueling.

The 1.4 16v engine.

Is it Multi Point injection.

What would happen if injectors 1+2 and 3+4 fired together?

Searching around the firing sequence seems to be 1,3,4,2 which is the way most vw engines are set up.

if the 1.4 16v engine is out of a polo it is most likely to be mpi (had a quick check of my nan's t reg one!) wouldnt like to say what would happen if 1+2, 3+4 were fired together

hope this helps ya tigz.

Edited by Mr P

Thanks Mr P.

Thats what I suspected, my ECU only has two outputs for the injectors.

I would suspect that as INJ1 cable attaches to Injector 1 & 2, and INJ2 cable attaches to Injector 3 & 4, if plug 1 & 3 fire together, and 2 & 4 fire together the ECU wiring makes sense.

If this isn't the case I am totally confused.

ok

Spoke to a auto electriction who works for us.

He says that on the last VW he worked on, 1&4 and 2&3 fired together.

So it would be fine to fire fuel into 1&2 and 3&4 together, as ingition is the opposite stroke to compression.

Panic over smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

glad you have solved the issues. i did go through all of this a few months back in college for my apprenticeship though cant remember much of that now blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

anymore help required gimme a shout i have dug out the explaination sheets on these matters from college and i'll see if i can help ya wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

OK, I think I have it sussed.

There is a permanent live feed that goes to each injector.

The two cables from the ECU controls the earth for this circuit.

We've just been through the ELSA current flow diagrams, and it looks as though keeping the stock ECU and cabling in place, would be much easier than trying to get everything else to work on the car without it.

He is going through both the 1.0 and 1.4 diagram to find how to stick with the loom and ECU from the 1.0, without having to mess around swapping plugs around in the engine bay.

I looks like the plugs that a different will not be needed by the unused ECU.

This still may change though, Id still like to rip out all the engine loom, and make it as simple as possible.

Theres no reason why a 12v supply to a basic thermostat, cant operate the fan without this going through the VW ECU!

The plan is, get the engine to run, then decide how to go about it.

Who needs planning, eh? lol

But to the nameless guy who reads this, when you work yours out, please let me know lol

Thats all for now smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Hey dude

Personally, ive just started looking at my loom

And converting to 'squirt

i would go with making a complete new loom

then, you got summat to go back on if it goes completely pear shaped!

on the polo, there are 7 wires that go from the Ecu to the interior of the car

some you wont need, and some megasquirt will generate (tacho feed, and maybe the gearbox feed, not sure if that goes throguh the ECU)

Ha

i can do mate, i need to get all the gear ordered first

want to jsut try and get the standard setup running on the squirt first, so i know that theres nowt wrong with the engine

You have access to elsa yea?

Dont suppose you can get a hold of any of the wiring diagrams for the polo 16v ecu?

Sent it to your hotmail addy.

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Id like to hide as much as the loom as possible, but keep the engine wiring visible.

In other wards, anything that doesn't make the engine work hidden if that makes sense?

the firing order is 1, 3, 4, 2

but the wasted spark system allways fires to spark plugs at once 1 + 4, 2 +3, the 'wasted' spark occurs on the exhaust stroke and therefore has no affect on the engine.

the lupo actually uses a batch fired injection set-up where all 4 injectors are fired off every revolution, this has the advantage of only using smaller injectors with a lower flow rating, on modern cat equipped enigines it doesn't actually make much difference what type of firing sequence you use for the injection, the only general exception to this is in supercharged engines. however rover use the 1 + 2, 3 +4, semi sequencial injection on the k-series engines to quite good effect, the only thing seen on a lot of 'hot' engines is fully sequential injection where only 1 injector fires at a time, hence 1 single injector only fires once every two revolutions.

which ecu are you using?? emerald m3dk??

Edited by Teflon

• 1 month later...

but you were watching a gti engine, you have cash for that..........or you'll find it laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

it's all about prioritising wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Edited by mitch unit 21

lol hello is that my insurance.......i've wrote off my polo can i buy it back laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />