GTi knocking on full steering lock

My GTi is making a knocking sound when the steering is on full lock. Now

I am sure that this is a common problem on GTi ‘s but I sure its getting worst, as it makes a repeated knocking sound when usually it only makes one knocking sound.

What do other GTi ’s sound like when on full lock?

My GTi is making a knocking sound when the steering is on full lock. Now

I am sure that this is a common problem on GTi ‘s but I sure its getting worst, as it makes a repeated knocking sound when usually it only makes one knocking sound.

What do other GTi ’s sound like when on full lock?

Is it a knocking or a scrubbing?

if you have 50 profile tyres on they will catch on full lock

Knocking doesn't sound good.

Scrubbing isn't great either though smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

you might hear the steering pump whining, but I think a knocking noise could indicate driveshaft issues?

mine used to rub on full lock ith 50 profile tyres. its not a knocking noise when the tyres scrub!

i would say to check your cv joints, especially as its doing it on full lock. make sure there aren't any tears in the boots causing grit and the like to get in.

Edited by lupogtiboy

Knocking on lock is usually the cv joint. I can't see how a tyre tread rubbing on a plastic arch liner can cause 'knocking'... It's a grating sound if anything.

I've never noticed any sort of knocking from my gti, on lock or otherwise. So i must've gotten a good one smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

sorry for causing confusion guys laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

when i had the 50 profiles on mine it did cause what i would cause some kind of a knocking noise rather than a grating.

it had worn through the liner in the arch and created a lip. when reversing on full lock and occasionally when full lock going forward this lip would catch in the tread of the tyre and cause it to knock when flicking in and out of the tread of the tyre.

just wanted him to rule this out before going onto anything else biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />