lupo 1.4 16valve keeps cutting out! :( help?

I have a lupo 1.4 16 valve on a S plate 1998, and when i am driving it, occasionaly when coming to a junction and slowing down, it will just cut out, no judder just the engine will stop and i have to turn the key to re-start it and it starts back up! Has anyone else had this problem? or does anyone know or suggest what it is and how i can stop it from happening? any info would be great!

thanks

what do you mean by a drive by wire????

Drive by wire, means there is no physical throttle cable attached to the accelerator pedal, instead the pedal position is measured by two sensors, and its position is sent to the ECU, which in turn sends signals accordingly to the injectors/carburettor to send the correct amount of fuel into the engine.

To test for drive by wire, throttle up to 2k revs in neutral, hold there, and brake using left foot.

Revs should drop to 1k or below.

Drive by wire, means there is no physical throttle cable attached to the accelerator pedal, instead the pedal position is measured by two sensors, and its position is sent to the ECU, which in turn sends signals accordingly to the injectors/carburettor to send the correct amount of fuel into the engine.

To test for drive by wire, throttle up to 2k revs in neutral, hold there, and brake using left foot.

Revs should drop to 1k or below.

that's not exactly how it works but it's close enough.

i suggest removing the throttle body and give it a good clean with a carb cleaner aerosol can, then re-fit and have it resest using vag-com or similar

Yeah - I reckon it's the throttle body too - it always seems to play up when the air gets moist/damp.

You can clean it 'in situ' - just remove the airbox and have a friend rev the engine while you spray the throttle body with carb cleaner.

mine does something simular to this, but it only does it when the roads have a lot of water on or when its raining heavy. does it lose power when you are diving too? mine is fine when its not wet, i checked on a fault finder and mine said something about speed signal plausability? i dont know what this means, any one any ideas? realy need to get it fixed for the winter!

Mine did this too the other day, took it to my mate who works at a garage. He said its most likely to be lambda probe, temp sender or throttle valve. We plugged it in, and 5 faults came up. Not sure on them all, but throttle valve was there. They wiped all the codes and I haven't had a problem since, which is strange. I'm just waiting for it to happen again.

• 1 month later...