audi TTD

beach

I don't like diesels for three reasons - the rev limit, the noise, and the turbo.

I don't understand enough about engines to know why the rev limit needs to be so low, but apparently it does.

Modern diesels don't sound like tractors - great. But they don't sound like anything. While better than sounding like a tractor, that's still not good enough.

Finally, they need large turbos to match/exceed NA petrol performance for similar-sized engines, which does nothing for the power delivery characteristics.

I have no problems with other people buying diesels, and if I was looking for a second car to drive to work on crappy days like today, then to be honest I'd probably end up with a diesel (no, actually, that's a lie, I'd end up with something dumb like a Corvette and wonder why I spent all my time at the pump, but the sensible bit of me would know I should have bought a diesel), but they are still not engines suitable for performance cars in my book. A performance car is about more than going fast, it's about how you get there.

Sorry smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I couldn't agree more, even freqently driving one of the (imo) best 4cyl compression engines around (vw 2.0l tdi) you really do appreciate the much more measured power delivery, instant response (there's a lot of turbo lag on the 2.0 tdi), sound and occasion a good petrol engine provides. Maybe beach doesn't need to air his hate of diesels so much but it seems people are actually getting worked up other the fact he just doesn't like diesels ?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You all protest too much really.

Just let it go! I drive a Vauxhall, for christ sake! That has at least as much stigma as driving a diesel these days, but you don't see me jumping on every 'Vauxhalls are crap' bandwagon and complaining about how everybody's really stupid and it's so boring to keep hearing this again and again!

It's my choice to drive a Vauxhall, it's your choice to drive a diesel. By defending it you're only making people think there's something to defend, which has exactly the opposite effect to what you want. Accept that some people aren't going to like it, accept that it's their right not to like it, accept that you like it, and move on!

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> Snoop you make a good point.

rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

you really are pathetic...

are you going to give us any feckíng proof of your shítty little closed minded comment?

edit .

why yooooooooo. pesky.

Edited by beach

pride comes before a fall.

anyway heres a factory smart forfour petrol turbo stats.

Engine Size: 1468 cc

Cylinders: 4

0-60 mph: 6.7 s

Power Output: 174 bhp

Valves: 16

Torque: 230 Nm

Torque: 170 lb/ft

Top Speed: 137 mph

with a bit of tuning that would see 200bhp and over 180lbft torque. from a 1468cc petrol engine. torque is not the preserve of the "other" fuel.

engines are good.

Edited by beach

coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

Your non stop masturbation over your own car is nearly as boring as Beach's hatred for diesels

roflmao.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflmao:" border="0" alt="roflmao.gif" />

thats the best quote from this whole topic!!!

Yes and i'm sure you'd pay twice as much as i've spent...

You all know full well i'm not saying petrol engines are rubbish...

but YOU ARE saying diesels are rubbish...

Your point is completely invalid, and a matter of opinion...

Yes i could have a 175bhp Fashion smart car... But i dont wanna spend £18 grand on a poxy little hatch back and waste all my spare money on fuel...

So for my needs, I have a car thats as quick as i need, and as economical as i need...

Besides.. why am i explaning why i have a diesel?? My justification would never change your opinion, because your too set in your own way, thinking that your opinion is the law...

So why dont be do whats best - You stay out of the diesel threads... And i'll refrain from insulting you...

Crikey

If I had a petrol engine, Id still be stuck in the midlands somewhere skint and fleecing some old tramp for fuel money to get home.

So, for me, diesels are good mmmkay

So why dont be do whats best - You stay out of the diesel threads... And i'll refrain from insulting you...

sounds a dirty deal if you ask me.

i'm not interested.

Edited by beach

sounds a dirty deal if you ask me.

i'm not interested.

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

At the end of th day if you're is happy with what you've got then who cares what anybody else thinks smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by Dan_F

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> This topics funny, I remeber someone mentioning something about the new TT near the start but thats disappeared somewhere into the etha. lol As you all know I have both deisel and petrol but they both have different purposes. The Deisel is as boring as hell to drive, there are about 1k revs that are useable but the car serves the purpose I bought it for pretty well, its cheap to run and goes up and down the motorway well. I rarely get any enjoyment out of it. This makes the vx even more special when I get into into it, take it upto 7000rpm bounce of the limiter and get huge pops from the exhaust- now thats what cars are all about!

Anyway, im not sure where im going with this other than we all have different tastes which is what makes us all so interesting, I think. huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

i have to say that if you dont like to discuss the opinions of some people then best to ignore them. and not be so rude to just enter the discussion to say its boring or annoying. ---do not enter the discussion------

i'm fine with people saying why they might not like petrol at all and will discuss it with them i wont get bored of it. i dont want to entertain the idea of talking with some people about it; its difficult seperating the insults from the content.

i'm fine with people saying why they might not like petrol at all

Nobody ever said they dont like petrol...

Nobody ever said diesel is better...

But theirs no fúcking way on this earth that diesel cars are crap...

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> This topics funny, I remeber someone mentioning something about the new TT near the start but thats disappeared somewhere into the etha. lol As you all know I have both deisel and petrol but they both have different purposes. The Deisel is as boring as hell to drive, there are about 1k revs that are useable but the car serves the purpose I bought it for pretty well, its cheap to run and goes up and down the motorway well. I rarely get any enjoyment out of it. This makes the vx even more special when I get into into it, take it upto 7000rpm bounce of the limiter and get huge pops from the exhaust- now thats what cars are all about!

Anyway, im not sure where im going with this other than we all have different tastes which is what makes us all so interesting, I think. huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

i thought difference in taste was interesting too. i often find angry people who dont drive a petrol car.

Im just confused, not for the first time after reading one of your post either beach!

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Just a note on the ash coming from Diesels.

We've just taken delivery of 200 new style Sprinters, they have to use one of about 10 makes of oil, as to get it through the Euro 4 tests and get it into America the CAT needed would be damaged by any ash.

This grade of oil needed creates no ash, and is very clean burning.

If I can be bothered, and this thread stops being so pointless, I'll post the info up tomorrow.

The engines are using loads of oil, but following the van, you would't know it wasn't run on petrol.

I would imagine, Audi want to sell this in the states also, so I would be very surprised if you saw clouds of ash coming from the exhaust of a standard TTTD.

Still wouldn't buy a Diesel though, love my engine revs too much, and seeing the Audi take the win at Le Mans this year, bored the life out of me because of how quiet it was.

Diesels have come a long way over the past couple of years.

Nobody ever said they dont like petrol...

Nobody ever said diesel is better...

But theirs no fúcking way on this earth that diesel cars are crap...

in my opinion they are. we could try talking about it if you like i suppose.

your end goal of trying to change my mind wont succeed like you laready know, but thats not a reason to keep views unspoken. its about understanding why opinions exist. and aswell as that using some facts and figures to explain certain points of view.

Reading beach's posts is like trying to understand what's going on in 'Lost'.

is like a riddle or something? i dont watch lost, do you enjoy it? i dont think you enjoy reading my posts?

Reading beach's posts is like trying to understand what's going on in 'Lost'.

only lost CAN be entertaining...

in my opinion they are. we could try talking about it if you like i suppose.

WE bloomin' KNOW NOW SHUT THE feck UP AND FIND SOMEONE ELSE TO ANNOY!

is like a riddle or something? i dont watch lost, do you enjoy it? i dont think you enjoy reading my posts?

I dont think anybody does you agrovating fool

i think i have some kind of native american indian taking me over or something.

my body analysis reveals no banned substances present.

you sir, are bloomin' crackpot!

only lost CAN be entertaining...

WE bloomin' KNOW NOW SHUT THE feck UP AND FIND SOMEONE ELSE TO ANNOY!

I dont think anybody does you agrovating fool

your getting close to me considering legal action against you. please be careful

Edited by beach

the club is not responsible for your behaviour but i can hold you personally responsible. i can take action. i can save screens in this discussion to use against you.

Edited by beach