1.9 TDi engine into Lupo/Arosa

KernowBloke

I thought I remembered somthing along those lines! I know what you mean, met a few 2.0 GTi owners not too keen on the Lupo's performance against them! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Please don't slate me if I'm wrong here peeps, but was the mk4 Golf TDI not better performance wise than the GTi? I'm sure I remember some sort of test on Top Gear.

Here the diesel Golf is compared to similar petrol equivalents - and performs better! (Click right arrow along 5 pages)

http://www.greenconsumerguide.com/master.h...v/vw/page1.html

its not a smiliar comparison on that link. all those other cars dont have a turbocharger bolted to their engine.

Agreed.

Lets compaire the 1.7 SDI against the 1.6 GTI lumps wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

i can help you there.

the 1.6 petrol 123bhp

the larger engined 1.7 diesel 59bhp........

hmmmmm

anyway enough. i dont want to be called boring.

get on with the project kernow, hunt the lupo base car. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by beach

Hi, I am new on here... so firstly let me say "Hello"

I currently own a 'tweaked' Saxo VTS, and am currently looking at starting a new 'project' car.

I have the idea of putting a 1.9 TDi engine from a Golf into a Lupo/Arosa.

I have checked the engine specs and as far as I can tell basically the 1.7SDi engine has the same bore (but a shorter stroke) than the 1.9SDi engine found in the Polo.

Therefore a 1.9SDi engine should fit into a Lupo/Arosa 1.7 SDi shell using the same mounts.

I am hopeful then that a 1.9 TDi would also fit. shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

Does anyone know if the 6 speed gearbox from the 130/150TDi Golf would also fit?

Also anyone know of any similar projects that I can get some tips from etc.

Many thanks for reading this rambling first post! blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Is the 1.7SDi definately a similar block to the 1.9SDi?

We have both of these engines at home, the wifes commuter car is the Lupo and I have a Polo 9N with the 1.9 unit. I'll have another look (even take some photos if it helps) but I was under the impression the the 1.7 unit is based on the older 1.6 generation of VW Diesel units.

Check the part number on the engine mounts on both engines.

Id be surprised if its a straight swap.

The mk4 mounts are completely different to the Lupos.

Your still going to need custom drive shafts etc.

Cant see it being cheap.

Saying that though, the 1.9SDi unit (either 64 or 68bhp) has been used in various cars including the mk4 and mk3 Golfs, plus the Polo 6N, which is the car that the Lupo was developed from. So if the 1.7 and 1.9SDi are based on the same block (unsure at the moment) fitting the Lupo shouldn't be a problem.

Is the 1.7SDi definately a similar block to the 1.9SDi?

I am only going on the fact that they share a common bore, and the 1.9 would appear to be a longer stroke version of the 1.7.

I have been wrong before! blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

We have both of these engines at home, the wifes commuter car is the Lupo and I have a Polo 9N with the 1.9 unit. I'll have another look (even take some photos if it helps) but I was under the impression the the 1.7 unit is based on the older 1.6 generation of VW Diesel units.

If you could take some photos that would be great... shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

Saying that though, the 1.9SDi unit (either 64 or 68bhp) has been used in various cars including the mk4 and mk3 Golfs, plus the Polo 6N, which is the car that the Lupo was developed from. So if the 1.7 and 1.9SDi are based on the same block (unsure at the moment) fitting the Lupo shouldn't be a problem.

That is what I am hoping... and am I also right in assuming that the Polo 6N and a Lupo are the same width, and a Lupo is really a Polo with the back sawn off!!! wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I am only going on the fact that they share a common bore, and the 1.9 would appear to be a longer stroke version of the 1.7.

I have been wrong before! blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

If you could take some photos that would be great... shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

That is what I am hoping... and am I also right in assuming that the Polo 6N and a Lupo are the same width, and a Lupo is really a Polo with the back sawn off!!! wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Okay, I need to spend some time with the fleet this weekend, well the T25 and the Golf need an oil change.

I'll try to get both the Lupo and Polo over the pit, so I can get photos from the underneath and the top of the engine bays.

i can help you there.

the 1.6 petrol 123bhp

the larger engined 1.7 diesel 59bhp........

59BHP, Just imagine!!! coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

I actually meant the weight of them, not the power output! blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

The std. engine the 1.7SDi would be junked anyway.

I've just looked further into this, and I'm sure that the 1.7 SDi Diesel unit is based on the old 1.6 Golf unit as used upto the early '90s.

There is only one other vehicle that used this engine, see the following spec:

Number of cylinders/Type 4/Overhead Cam

Capacity (cubic Centimeters) 1716

Bore 79.5mm

Stroke 86.4mm

Compression ratio 23:1

Output kW (DIN hp) @ RPM 42kW - 57hp @ 4500 RPM

Injection pump manufacturer Bosch

Type VE 4/9

Part Number 0 460 494 164

Rated no load speed 5100 +/- 50 RPM

Injection sequence 1 - 3 - 4 - 2

Injector nozzle Bosch - 0 432 217 084

Does the cc and Bore/Stoke look familar? This engine data is from the VW T25/T3 Van!

just a thought about base models- does the 1.4 tdi sport not come with rear discs and arb?

just thought that if it did it may be better to start with that? theres a high possibility im wrong here though

Unfortunately the TDi sport still has drums and a standard style exhaust, only the petrol sport has rear discs and the central exit thingy