GTI Exhausts

leddy

Who manufactures exhausts for the gti. i can only find scorpian!

i would like a bastuck or a milltek but where the hell can i get one of these from?

does anybody know what tailpipes these companys may offer?

cheers biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Janspeed have just released a cat-back system and back box

Back box - http://www.edworthys.co.uk/product~ProdID~804940.htm

System - http://www.edworthys.co.uk/product~ProdID~804939.htm

I can't see you getting any performance gains from a backbox, only a full system with manifold to get noticable gains, even then with a remap.

I've sent Supersprint an e-mail asking if they're going to release a system for the GTI, but no reply yet.

how does the bastuck sound mate?

Reasonably quiet at low revs and a nice throaty sound as the revs pick up. Not loud at any revs, which is what I like. Also very happy with the fit and build quality.

All in all, very happy with the exhaust.

Reasonably quiet at low revs and a nice throaty sound as the revs pick up. Not loud at any revs, which is what I like. Also very happy with the fit and build quality.

All in all, very happy with the exhaust.

do bastuck claim much of a power gain? i would have thought an exhaust like this would give the most gain compared to scorpian or janspeed?

also does anyone here rate custom made exhausts (not powerflow heard too many bad things about them tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> )

i was thinking of an ascar or blue flame?

looking at the standard system from the cat back i doubt any "tuning/performance" made exhaust will add any bhp at all. unless they strip out some of the baffling in the silencers. there isnt really any bad restrictions and the pipe bore is larger already.

do bastuck claim much of a power gain? i would have thought an exhaust like this would give the most gain compared to scorpian or janspeed?

also does anyone here rate custom made exhausts (not powerflow heard too many bad things about them tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> )

i was thinking of an ascar or blue flame?

I would personally get the blue flame even over a Bastuck. Blue Flame are excellent quality. Also known as Mongoose. They come standard on some TVRs.

As I am in Scotland, that is why I opted for the Bastuck.

With a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold, BMC and my Bastuck I got 117bhp @wheels. The exhaust is one of many mods that should be carried out at the same time or as part of a group of mods. Personally I dont think you should ever look at the bhp gained by an exhaust on its own, however along with an exhaust, Ind Kit and a remap etc, it is essential that it is done to benefit fully. Thats my opinion anyway. The standard exhaust IIRC is 2" bore and the Bastuck for example is 2.5". It is widely accepted that 2 1/4" bore is ideal for a N/A engine of 1600cc and below however.

does it have a centre box?

I have a centre box. You can specify when you order a Bastuck that you want a centre box and you quote an additional part number at the time of ordering.

Edited by The Stig

you mean for the 1.6 gti specificly not in general?

for the rally 1.0/1.3 cars 1 3/4 " to 2" was the best bore for racing.

need to get my tape measure out under the car, it looks quite fat already.

but i would expect a performance manifold /decat/sport cat would work nicely. cant see much happening cat back.

so a 4-2-1 manifold + full exhaust system (with cat in place?) + bmc kit adds about 10bhp+ @wheels to the gti.

Edited by beach

so a 4-2-1 manifold + full exhaust system (with cat in place?) + bmc kit adds about 10bhp+ @wheels to the gti.

About 10bhp plus or minus a few bhp.

Where I stay there are 3 rolling roads.

RR1. Never used one of them.

RR2. The first one I went to is notorious for over reading. I have proof in my Bros RR graphs as he had a Raven Blue GTi. When his car had 5k miles on it, he got 143 bhp @ fly and 106 @ wheels with 122 lbf.ft @ fly. Then 6 months later at 10k miles, he got 135 bhp @ fly and 107 @ wheels with 118 lbf.ft @ fly. The wheel figure is consistent however the rest is way off!

RR3. The 3rd local RR is spot on every time and very consistent. The runs take place in a chamber, and ambient temperature does not effect runs. At 5k miles, on the same day as RR @ garage 2 above, 128 bhp @ 6500 rpm @ fly was achieved. As book is 123 bhp, I was very happy that this RR is accurate. At 10k miles, on same day as RR @ garage 2 above, 130 bhp @ limiter @ fly was achieved.

All of the above is from a standard Lupo GTi.

I was, and still am, happy that Garage 3 (RR3) is accurate. When I put my own car on these rollers, I achieved 141 bhp @ fly (117 bhp @ wheels) with the 4-2-1 manifold, BMC and Bastuck Cat-back system. The standard Cat is retained.

However I also feel that Rolling Roads can only really be used if you use the same one all the time, start with a standard figure and go back to the same RR with a few mods to see the difference. Use them as a tool to see power gains if you know what I mean.

Sorry for the long winded post tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Edited by The Stig

good post, it actually shows rr can be consistent if you always look at the wheel figures even the RR that you said overreads and changes seem about right but not at fly. 106/107 @wheels is about normal for for gti. as confirmed by my result which was 3 runs consecutively giving 107.5@ wheels. standard gti, well had cotton panel filter but i call that standard as they dont do much really, call it 1-2bhp. torque showed up a perfect standard 112.2lbft. to confrim good dyno. but the torque results, like the fly as you say are way out on the RR2 you mention. i dont know how this is possible/they can alter this reading using their software.

Edited by beach

good post, it actually shows rr can be consistent if you always look at the wheel figures even the RR that you said overreads and changes seem about right but not at fly. 106/107 @wheels is about normal for for gti. as confirmed by my result which was 3 runs consecutively giving 107.5@ wheels. standard gti, well had cotton panel filter but i call that standard as they dont do much really, call it 1-2bhp. torque showed up a perfect standard 112.2lbft. to confrim good dyno. but the torque results, like the fly as you say are way out on the RR2 you mention. i dont know how this is possible/they can alter this reading using their software.

I am The Stigs brother incase your wondering wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

A few things can alter the reading from the RR. The ambient temperature, air pressure and humidity shall affect the temperature of air drawn in by the engine and the density of air drawn in. With RR2 as I mentioned, this was done in an open workshop and the affects shall be greater than with RR3, since RR3 was done in an enclosed chamber. So the readings shall vary greatly depending on what time of year etc the run is done.

Tyre pressures and tyre wear can also effect the result, gear ratios can affect the result (Particularly as GTis can be 5 or 6 speed), as can putting your foot on the brake whilst the RR calculates the coast down loss, if that particular RR does their readings this way.

There are other things, which I do not know as I am not an operator, that can affect the reading. But I am happy with one of my local Rolling Road facilities which is the main thing.

Here is a useless piece of information; on the same day at RR2 my bro and I tested our lupo GTis side by side. One was standard, the other had a BMC and the one with the BMC gained 2 bhp @ the wheels and negligable torque. This was the same day, at the same time with the same ambient temps, air humidity etc. Only variables being tyre pressure and condition of engine internals as the one with the BMC had more than double the mileage of the standard one.

Edited by T5POL

that result on the bmc kit doesnt suprise me, seems accurate to me. 2bhp similar to what a panel replacement would do. as standard the gti has a very goo inlet system and cold air sourced, not much to improve on. on some older cars it can make a huge difference 8-10bhp sometime on NA small engines.

fits in with the results for estimating gains of the 421 manifold/bmc/cat back = 10bhp. 7+2+1 i would estimate.. to give the 10.

that result on the bmc kit doesnt suprise me, seems accurate to me. 2bhp similar to what a panel replacement would do. as standard the gti has a very goo inlet system and cold air sourced, not much to improve on. on some older cars it can make a huge difference 8-10bhp sometime on NA small engines.

fits in with the results for estimating gains of the 421 manifold/bmc/cat back = 10bhp. 7+2+1 i would estimate.. to give the 10.

I reckon a remap on top of these three mods would yield another 5 bhp. Bringing the Air:Fuel back in line. Mid range my bros car was running quite rich. Lean it off a bit more by bringing the Air:fuel back in line would sort it out.

Next stage would be Shrick 256 cams, uprated valve springs and a rev limit raised to where the peak power is shifted to by these cams. Then a remap after the cams are fitted. Would make for a nippy GTi.

Edited by T5POL

I'm wanting to do exhaust,cams,remap,etc eventually. Are the raceland manifolds (I think that's what Tigz group buy was for) any good? My mate just put one on his Polo, seems good quality and he said his car feels faster with it and a decat, but I'm wondering whether it's not tuned for the engine, and is just a stainless 4-2-1 manifold for the sake of it, if you know what I mean: is it just a shiny pipe made to fit the car, or is it properly performance orientated, or doesn't it make much difference? Is a 4-2-1 just a 4-2-1?

i would reason confidently unless someone has broken them already that valve springs would not need to be uprated?

unless i got warned about it first like on here i would just get the cams fitted and ask for a 7.7 k rpm limit remap.

i know from research/ownership the 1.3 micra engine can have mild or aggresive cams and reliable 8000rpm limit easy with no uprated parts. incidentally 256 degrees is also the mild upgrade cam spec for the micra.

I'm wanting to do exhaust,cams,remap,etc eventually. Are the raceland manifolds (I think that's what Tigz group buy was for) any good? My mate just put one on his Polo, seems good quality and he said his car feels faster with it and a decat, but I'm wondering whether it's not tuned for the engine, and is just a stainless 4-2-1 manifold for the sake of it, if you know what I mean: is it just a shiny pipe made to fit the car, or is it properly performance orientated, or doesn't it make much difference? Is a 4-2-1 just a 4-2-1?

having larger bore primaries exiting the head will release more bhp. so would need to find out standard gti primary bore compared to the stainless version.

i would reason confidently unless someone has broken them already that valve springs would not need to be uprated?

unless i got warned about it first like on here i would just get the cams fitted and ask for a 7.7 k rpm limit remap.

i know from research/ownership the 1.3 micra engine can have mild or aggresive cams and reliable 8000rpm limit easy with no uprated parts. incidentally 256 degrees is also the mild upgrade cam spec for the micra.

Uprating parts is purely a precautionary and proactive measure. For how little they cost, it would be something I would want to carry out anyway.

Yeah that is coincidence that 256 is the degree of cams for the micra. But you would have to look at both the inlet and exhaust of the standard cam and compare it to the uprated cams before you could call it mild. IIRC the standard inlet and exhaust for the GTi is not high and jumping to the 256 cams is a fair jump. In terms of the limit I couldnt pluck a figure out of thin air as it would be dependant upon where the uprated cams have pushed the power band to on the rev range and adjust it accordingly. Could only find that out during a remap.

Edited by T5POL

Uprating parts is purely a precautionary and proactive measure. For how little they cost, it would be something I would want to carry out anyway.

Yeah that is coincidence that 256 is the degree of cams for the micra. But you would have to look at both the inlet and exhaust of the standard cam and compare it to the uprated cams before you could call it mild. IIRC the standard inlet and exhaust for the GTi is not high and jumping to the 256 cams is a fair jump. In terms of the limit I couldnt pluck a figure out of thin air as it would be dependant upon where the uprated cams have pushed the power band to on the rev range and adjust it accordingly. Could only find that out during a remap.

what is the stock degrees of gti cams? on the micra it is 233 i think i recall. i think the lift on some types of performance micra cams is about 8mm. but then these are completely different engines i realise.

talking of engines though i think its such a shame the gti engine has a cast iron block. i can just imagine how better it could be with weight balance and overall lightness performance..

it must be based on an old design to be cast iron.?

Edited by beach

The standard cams are 205 inlet / 215 exhaust and the Schricks are 256 inlet / 244 exhaust. so you can see it is quite a jump.

Some of the newer VW engines blocks are Aluminium Alloy where as for example the new Golf GT Twincharger has a Cast Iron Block. Good thing being the cast block is stronger.

Edited by T5POL