Slippery Toyo T1Rs???

Just wondering if anyone has had any scary moments with their Toyos fitted. I have found the car to handle faultlessly in the dry weather but have had two scary slippy moments over the past 10 days or so. Completely lost the back end on a 50 MPH corner today. I managed to step her back into line but I lack a little trust in them at the moment. Everything is cool (i.e. Tracking/Tyre pressures) and don't know if it's just down to fuel spillages on the corners or slightly slippery roads due to the hot spell we have had??.

Cheers Mark smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

More likely to be something on the road rather than the tyres. After a long dry period it only takes a bit of dew on the road or a very light shower & they become bloody lethal! In fact its probably better if you get a down pour rather than light rain as it will effectively wash all the crap off the road surface.

I haven't yet! This is the first time I have had Toyo's, thought I'd give them a try. They are great in the dry, ok in the damp, but rubbish when its soaking (my opinion, some might disagree).

Before that, I've only had the tyres that came on the car, and never needed changing by the time I wrote it off tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> and Nankang Sports on the alloys on my last car (not my choice) which were chronic in the wet, far too soft!

Open to recommendations for next year, my tyres have only been on the car for 4-5k miles and its munched them! I drove about for 2 weeks without the camer adjusted when I lowered it though and they never liked that much. The folk who adjusted the camber wouldn't believe they were 2 weeks old!

in that case i dont think you can say toyo are bad in the wet how do you know they are not the best tyre in the world in the wet? i personally think they are very good in the wet compared to a lot of other performance tyres. but to go with that i actually think they are quite poor in the dry. their traction compared to the yokohama a539 is really noticably weaker.

Edited by beach

It wasn't particularly a comparison, just a statement. But if they are the best tyres in the world in the wet, then some other companies seem to be severely over-pricing.

I considered the Toyo's at the time as I was pretty skint and they were cheap! £42 a corner is pretty good for a "performance tyre". But I will do more research next time to try and find a more suitable alternative.

This is just my personal opinion - the general consesus on this forum of what makes a good tyre varies drastically. If you like the Toyo's stick with them. I personally am going to look into something else.

i agree. the yoko's which i mentioned that are fantastic in the dry are lethal in standing water/run offs. they aquaplane quickly = no steering.

the best tyres i have had are some avon cr500 i think they are called, they are a track day/competition tyre road legal. they are so grippy and the tyres walls are like solid they are so tough reinforced. the rubber compound wears aways so quick. i bought them new and now they are at the 1.6mm wear indicators with approx 1k miles on them. and i have never span them deliberately either. just from road use. hows that for sticky tyres.

New owner of GTi and had to get some tyres in a hurry before I found this forum

"Only Dunlop make them and them are £120 each" was what I was told!

Still they seem like good tyres and I've had no prob's yet.

whoever told you that needs a vist from a hitman. i am available and charge £10k per hit let me know if your interested. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

check out mytyres.co.uk for cheap tyres. they change week by week so somtime more tyres are available, and prices etc.

you need to find a friendly tyre fitter/supplier aswell. one that tells the truth.

you need to find a friendly tyre fitter/supplier aswell. one that tells the truth.

They're not too far off though, to be honest, searching on mytyres for 205/45/15's only brings up the Toyo Proxes. From what I've seen before, the Dunlops and the Toyo's are the only two available in this size.

Hmmm, interesting. confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" /> I do like the Toyos in the dry, but as already mentioned, they are made of liqourice and wear so quickly. I also rate my Goodyear F1s that I have on my winter wheels, they really are good. I have a set of Uniroyal Rainsports on my Mondeo ST and they are also faultless. Just seems bizarre that my Toyos are so twitchy in the wet, TBH I'm a little bit disappointed in them at this moment in time. sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> Cheers guys.

Edited by ArosaPD

hate them

I can relate to that Mitch, but I only got them cos everyone was raving about how bloody wonderful they were on here. Boo Hoo!! sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> Sorry to disappoint you Toyo lovers, but it will be F1s or something else for me next time.

I love my Toyo T1-R's, i think the wet grip is brilliant! Dry grip is good too. Rainsports are the true wet tyre, but I think the Toyo's are fab in the rain, haven't really had a chance to push them in the wet that much. I found that even with wider rear tyres, the back steps out a bit! I found the more grippier the front tyres are, the more the rear steps out from my previous mk2 golf.

Cant say that I've ever had a problem with toyos in the wet either, I'd probably go as far to say they are the best tyres I've had for wet weather. The wear rate is horrific though

they are the best tyres i have ever had in the wet also. their design is primarly a wet weather setup with the tread pattern they use.

the more quick a tyre wears out genereally the more grip it has to offer being soft.

cheap budget tyres are like plasticy hard horrible stuff, which makes them great at floating over tarmac and making cars crash.

they are the best tyres i have ever had in the wet also. their design is primarly a wet weather setup with the tread pattern they use.

the more quick a tyre wears out genereally the more grip it has to offer being soft.

cheap budget tyres are like plasticy hard horrible stuff, which makes them great at floating over tarmac and making cars crash.

My last budget tyres were hard as nails, lasted for ever, but felt as if they were teflon coated! Rather lose my tread than have longer lasting rubbish tyres! rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />