4-2-1 manifold

tshirt2k

It was making a ticking noise when accelerating from idle and in higher gears when under load. It was more noticable when the window was open. And worse when engine was cold.

I took it to a few places to see if the manifold was blowing, it wasn't.

After reading up on the symptoms i decided to get some exhaust wrap, wrapped the whole manifold this morning.

Made a massive difference to the sound, alot less tinny, and its reduced the under bonnet temps too.

Would recommend getting some

It has a 4-1 as standard.

yes that's true, but there was a mk4 polo which had a 4-2-1 manifold but not in uk spec though.

Here's the manifold: part number 036253031P

421manifold.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

and here's the matchiing downpipe: part number 6N0253208PX

421pipe.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

i've use these on lupo's and they are a direct fit too!

Edited by Teflon

lol. Maybe the Polo did, but I am talking about the Lupo GTi here mate. Not a Polo.

??? i was agreeing with you that the lupo had a 4 into 1 manifold as stanard. so has the gti model. and you can get them either with or without an in-built cat.

the lupo already has a 4branch maifold as standard!!!!!!!!

and i suppose they are four branch manifolds because they have 4 exhaust ports!!!

How many times did you wrap it and did you overlap each time? How much did you overlap by? about 6mm?

Overlapped about 5mm. Did each tube, then wrapped the the joins down to the lamda probe. I used stainless ties to hold it all together.

Mmmm no noise off mine

Mine got worse over time. But i'm fussy. I don't want a rough sounding car.

Overlapped about 5mm. Did each tube, then wrapped the the joins down to the lamda probe. I used stainless ties to hold it all together.

Mine got worse over time. But i'm fussy. I don't want a rough sounding car.

Thanks for that. Thats what I wanted to know, before attempting it myself. Did you get the wrap from Ebay or Demon Tweeks? How much do you reckon you used in metres?

wrapping them in heat wrap is a good but it's quite expensive stuff. i did it on a renault 5 gordini turbo a few years ago but it didn't seem to make any difference to the underbonnet temp. but it increase the turbo response. maybe because the heat was being 'kept in' and this energy was going to the turbo instead of being radiated out as heat.

mine also ticks, does my head in some time. Coilovers have started to squeak going over sleeeping policemen also, they have done around 40k tho so cant really complain. i yake it yo took the manifold off to wrap it first? did u soak the wrap in water first? just makes it that little more supple when fitting.

Did it in place from above and underneath. It took about 2 hours. did it dry. I kept it really tight.

Wrapping almost eliminates the ticking

Manifold is made by raceland and it was from a group buy on here.

Edited by tshirt2k

• 5 months later...
Absolutely not! The standar gti's manifold is a 4-2-1, is a bad manifold but is a 4-2-1!

Sorry mate, you need to look again.

It is a 4-1.

Autosport007copy.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Autosport006copy.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Excuse, but i saw a photo of original manifold, it was a 4-2-1 confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

Indeed in this photo it's a 4-1 blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Probably i was drunk!

Edited by Megamind