Jet Washing the engine bay

Quite simply, is it ok to get a jet washer on the engine bay? My Dad's got a mega powerful Karcher but for some reason i'm not sure about blasting 6 years of crap out of the engine bay with it... confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

Opinions please!

Si.

I must be mad!!!! i use the jet wash on the engine, Just dont aim directly at the engines electric system. Once you gave done it spray some wd40 or similar water dispersing spray on all of the connectors and try to get as much water out of the spark plug holes as possible, i use air gun for this part,. then just start it with the bonnet open and let it idle for 5 minutes. All clean and never had any problems at all.

its pretty safe i would start ur car up first and let it get nice and hot, then spray it while its running, it will help it dry faster and if ur engine cuts out then stop biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

... if ur engine cuts out then stop biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> think i'll leave that one then!!

cheers

Si.

Like tigz said, use a bit of elbow grease, i just get a damp cloth and give it a good rub or wipe, well the easy to do parts, such as engine cover, manifold etc, as long as they are clean im happy.

Forgot to mention, i put some back to black or similar on a cloth and give the engine cover a wipe with that, it looks brand new!

Edited by Adam

When I sold my Swift I had the car wash jet the engine bay. They did it whilst it was running and the engine cut out. The guy took the vacuum cleaner to a couple of wires/leads and it was running again in no time.

Edited by Swoxy

They always jet wash the engine bay on the cars at work... never done any harm, just make sure its always engine running and don't spray directly into the fuse box area etc....

• 2 weeks later...

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Coming form a valeter of many years and one who trained with auto glym, jet washing your engines fine.

German cars also seem to be the most sensible with their electronics. I jet wash my wifes Lupo and ive done bmw's, infact the first bmw i did was an m5 no probs. I however normally like doing the engine when cold less chance of anything too hot getting upset when it's hit by detergent and cold water, just like you should do your wheels. have to admit though when i was training and i saw an engine being done for the first time i thought that's going to be exspensive, but hey ho we live and learn, hope that puts your mind at rest. shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />