opening a can of worms

leddy

I am currently in the market for a gti.

but was wondering what the real difference between the 5 and 6 speed box is in terms of speed, driveability and fuel consumption etc etc

is it really worth me spending what seems to be a fair bit more money on a 6 speed?

cheers guys

steve

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Real world differences are very little, as you can see from the table above in gear times are different but they're a false comparison as the 5 spd car can achieve the same times just in a lower gear which would involve a gear change in the 6 spd. It's horses for courses, buy on condition rather than how many gears it has.

cheers guys thats very helpful biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

why do the 6 speed ones seem to sell for so much more money?

Because they are newer wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

In my opinion the 6-speed is nicer to drive - if only because you have more gears to play with so it feels more involving smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Buy on condition rather than box imho.

And yes, of course 6 speed cars are generally more expensive than 5 speeders because they are newer. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

i understand that they are newer but they seem to sell for quite alot more money.

id really like a six speeder just for the novelty of having six gears laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

just dont know if i can justify spending the money on one just for the extra gear.

Does anybody know how many of each colour gti were produced?

id really like a six speeder just for the novelty of having six gears laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

IMO thats the reason why.