more power/speed.!

Little Green Giant

does anyone know of anything i can do, performance wise to my little one litre lump to gain power/ speed etc, without swapping the engine, haha. any help would be most appreciated, i know that there is not that much you can do with this lump and i think that adding an induction kit etc. will drag in too much for the engine to handle and would probably decrease the throtle response.! would i be correct in thinking this? =]

Definetelly not worth trying to extract more power from the engine as the cost/per gain will be high. My two suggestions would be:

1. make sure it is in a good service condition to make sure it is at least running its best, no point in wasting power.

2. extract weight from the car to make what bhp you do have become more useful.

Ditto the comment on checking out 1litrescreamers car, he is a legend. I bet he only weights 5kg himself with his weight saving abilities laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

thing is, realistically loosing weight is not an option if you want to stay practical ie: have passengers, lol. personally i wouldnt do anything with your 1litre just drive slow and save up to buy a faster car after. (personal experiance here, there no hope for 1litres)

(personal experiance here, there no hope for 1litres)

OI!! wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

TBH the speed isn't bothering me at the moment. I'm just driving and thinking about driving the same road in a few years in my M3. Had a discussion with my mate the other day, we think that we'd rather have a nice looking car that wasn't fast than have a cack looking fast car.

Induction kit actually improves throttle response slightly as it obviously improves air flow to engine. Also makes the old hairdryer sound decent too laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> Weight reduction is pretty hard if you like carpets, seats, radio etc so just leave it as it is.

OI!! wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

TBH the speed isn't bothering me at the moment. I'm just driving and thinking about driving the same road in a few years in my M3. Had a discussion with my mate the other day, we think that we'd rather have a nice looking car that wasn't fast than have a cack looking fast car.

I've had nice looking slow cars, sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> they just become frustrating. (1.0 Polo, 1.4 Polo FSI)

I've had nice looking fast cars and you just end up worrying about them being nicked. (Civic Type-R mk5 Golf GTI)

I'd settle for ***** looking fast cars any day. they are so much more fun.

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I'm not saying the Lupo or G40 look *****, but they certainly dont look fast or look expensive, certainly not the type or car you would try to steal on purpose if there were better looking cars about.

I'd settle for ***** looking fast cars any day. they are so much more fun.

although i have never had anything fast...but right now i could care what my car looked like!! i just wanna go slightly fast1

I'm not saying the Lupo or G40 look *****, but they certainly dont look fast or look expensive, certainly not the type or car you would try to steal on purpose if there were better looking cars about.

The G40 is such a sleeper. Standard on the BBS' looks not much different from a polo coupe. But even I have heard of the G smiles. shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" /> Right now though theres nowhere around here to speed. Mobile speed cameras everywhere and Gatsos. I'd rather my car look nice and travel slower so everyone can see it laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Edited by penry

Mk1 a pile of junk!! wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

If it wasn't for the original golf we wouldnt have the lupo!! But yes can look manky, or also look absolutely fantastic if done properly. Check out Edition38 for looooads of stunning mk1's.

I was only joking mate biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

They can look pretty stock then be packing a 1.8t under the bonnet shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

It seems there is no hope or quick fix for my 1 ltr.

I really appreciate forums such as this I would have wasted much of my money on stupid ebay cons and engine mods, i will stick to stereo and body cosmetics.

thanks! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I grew up on Imps (and Minis) 998 - 1300cc...

There is always a way of getting more power;

balanced and lightened flywheel

balanced and machined crank

high lift cam

high compression pistons/rings

ported and polished head

better SU/Stromberg/Webber carbs; then!

fast road/competition clutch

competition rotoflex couplings

etc...

...sure you could go down this route, which I recently discussed with 'Screamer', with the VW lump, but as there are less readly available fast road parts it would be costly to get original parts machined and reliabilty would more than likely suffer. As BlueLoop and I agreed in St Andrews: In the old days it was easy! You would also have to get a chip programmed to get the most of the mods.

Four-stroke Performance Tuning manual @ Amazon

S!

Edited by Silver!

I grew up on Imps (and Minis) 998 - 1300cc...

S!

LOL, Ray laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> Me too, I think we are showing our age now!! You may laugh at Imps lads infact most of you probably have no idea what one is!? wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

At the end of the day it's all down to money. If you are on a budget then what has already been suggested sounds like the right way to go about it.

Edited by ArosaPD

LOL, Ray laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> Me too, I think we are showing our age now!! You may laugh at Imps lads infact most of you probably have no idea what one is!? wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

At the end of the day it's all down to money. If you are on a budget then what has already been suggested sounds like the right way to go about it.

I had the full range...

Singer Chamois (G plate), Sunbeam Stilleto (G plate) and finishing with a Super Imp (N plate).

The Stilleto was the most fun, but I had it totally stripped out with a cage and the mods to the engine made it pretty unreliable. I subsequently (1982) got sent to Scotland so sold it and bought a good condition Super Imp.

Only changed the running gear, fitted twin stromburgs and a front radiator as it regularly travelled from Poole to Arbroath for a couple of years! I kid you not!

S!

Sorry, had a look through my old pics...

In days of old before cameras were of the digital variety there was less photo's taken.

I'll speak to my Dad and see if there's any in his attic with rubish I've not seen since... 'way back when!'

I have found a couple of pics on the web which "in my minds eye" are like my old cars, but in reality they are probably much better as thay have been refurbished by enthusiasts whereas I was young and skint.

The good thing about living in the Bournemouth area was that Team Hartwell ran a race team and track/rally mods were available over their counter, as was advice and assistance.

S!