Ported GTI head?

L7UPO

i have a Lupo GTI and have aquired a Polo GTI head and inlet manifold. i was intending to port the polo head and fit it to the Lopo (leaving me with the original head as spare and original) but would like to find out if there is a way of identifying if the polo head i have is the correct one.

on looking at other sites i see there has been severl different engine codes fitted to the polo but this does not meen the head is different. the guy who i got the head from said it was a 2001 polo gti and that it was the 125hp engine ( i would like to make sure before spending a lot of time and effort)

the long term plan is port the head and inlet manifold, fit an induction kit, replace the exhaust and manifold and get it re-mapped. then wait for funds and get cams and another remap

Pleeeeease help

Russell

mitch_unit_21 has a polo gti engine in his loop so you might find PMing him will get the answer quickly

It should have a part number on it. a number of people on the forum can check on ETKA to see if it's the same as the lupo.

there was a 1.4 16v head advertised on ebay that fitted the 75 and 100bhp along with the golf and polo variations of the engine so i cant see it being that different. there were only 2 gti engines available.

i'll have a look on the head and see what numbers there are, i was just hoping someone would know what the number was i need to look for. or be albe to tell me i'm an idiot and got the wrong one!

036 103 351 J - Lupo GTI (AVY)

036 103 351 J - Later Polo GTI (AVY)

036 103 351 G - Early Polo GTI (AJV)

I guess it's the same part, isn't the G/J just a revision ?

Edited by Petrified

036 103 351 J - Lupo GTI (AVY)

036 103 351 J - Later Polo GTI (AVY)

036 103 351 G - Early Polo GTI (AJV)

I guess it's the same part, isn't the G/J just a revision ?

There is Also ARC engine code

bet the heads are all the same, they are the same part from the other 16v's too

There is Also ARC engine code

bet the heads are all the same, they are the same part from the other 16v's too

I thought it was ARC, but I couldn't find it anywhere on the web, ETKA listed AJV so I assumed it was that. I might have got it wrong.

ARC is definatly the old Polo GTI engine

AVY the newer one.

so is AJV also a GTI 1.6 16V engine? like I say.. might have got the code wrong blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

I thought it was ARC, but I couldn't find it anywhere on the web, ETKA listed AJV so I assumed it was that. I might have got it wrong.

ARC is definatly the old Polo GTI engine

AVY the newer one.

so is AJV also a GTI 1.6 16V engine? like I say.. might have got the code wrong blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

the ajv engine is a 1.6 16v engine with an output of 120hp but they weren't available in the uk, they were only fitted to mark 4 polo's, they are essentially the same as the lupo gti unit but they dont have variable

valve timing and therefore different camshafts.

arc engine is the early one

avy is the later eu4 compliant version with drive-by-wire and they have a higher compression ratio

the ajv engine is a 1.6 16v engine with an output of 120hp but they weren't available in the uk, they were only fitted to mark 4 polo's, they are essentially the same as the lupo gti unit but they dont have variable

valve timing and therefore different camshafts.

arc engine is the early one

avy is the later eu4 compliant version with drive-by-wire and they have a higher compression ratio

ARC is also Drive by wire shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

the head i have is red and has variable cam timing.and the inlet is drive-by-wire. so should be the same as the lupo? i will venture up the garden and have a look in the shed at it to see if i can find a part/casting number

Nah, Polo ARC is throttle by wire

have one in my garage shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

i have seen both types, and they will interchange

the question regarding part numbers and cylinder heads!!!

one of the heads has a port on the left hand end (flywheel end) for the egr valve, the other one dosn't, but i cant remember off hand which is which, but this 'port' can be easily filled up with a blob of weld.

the red cover on top which houses the camshafts will interchange between heads as well but some have an extra breather hole on top next to the hall sender. the plastic cover on top of the engine will not fit this head unless you file down the mountings on top.

the vvt pulley will fit the non vvt engine if the corresponding camshafts are used

there are hundreds of different combinations of engine block/head/camshafts/etc that will fit together.

the ajv engine is a 1.6 16v engine with an output of 120hp but they weren't available in the uk, they were only fitted to mark 4 polo's, they are essentially the same as the lupo gti unit but they dont have variable valve timing and therefore different camshafts.

So the VVC only makes about 5bhp? This would make sense to be honest as when I had my car mapped with the throttle bodies manually actuating the VVC made about 5-11bhp at various load points throughout the rev range. What it did affect though was the torque, I now use the VVC to give a totally flat torque cuve from 3000rpm to 6000rpm.

Out of interest, does the AJV with its different cams not have the (reputedly) weak roller rocker stuff then?

So the VVC only makes about 5bhp? This would make sense to be honest as when I had my car mapped with the throttle bodies manually actuating the VVC made about 5-11bhp at various load points throughout the rev range. What it did affect though was the torque, I now use the VVC to give a totally flat torque cuve from 3000rpm to 6000rpm.

the engines with vvt should theoretically have a wider power band

Out of interest, does the AJV with its different cams not have the (reputedly) weak roller rocker stuff then?

yes it has the same roller tipped rocker setup as the lupo gti engine, when i said different cams i meant the profiles (duration, lift, centre angle, etc) are slightly different

there are better rockers available for these engines, i've got an invoice somwhere with the web address of the company but i cant find it at the moment.

• 3 years later...