1.4 16v conversion

Cozboz

Ok just wanted to know what is involved in this and anything that will need to be changed from the original 1.0. I have search the site for over an hour n haf for anything along these lines and have found none. Basically i have found this website were they can supply a new 1.4 16v for £795 and fit it for around £300. I think this will be better in the long run than buying a sport. Im not sure whether these will fit in though will i need a diferent engine mount or something?

Its from TES engines ( www.theengineshop.info ) also they do a 1.6 16v for the same as the 1.4 but i suppose i would be more work. All the engines come with reground crankshaft, new pistons and rings, new main and big bearings, new valves, guides and hydraculic cam followers, new oil pump, plugs, seals gaskets.

Other than the wiring loom will anything else be needed a ) for the 1.4 and b ) for the 1.6

Any helpp would greatly be appreciated smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Corie smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by Cozboz

wouldnt it just be easier to buy a sport? due to the hassles of changing insurance, engines etc...

Maybe he doesn't want to tell his insurance company though. ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

Engine mounts are the same.

Gearbox is different.

If its the 75bhp engine (more than likely) it will have a cable operated throttle body.

Your going to need the ECU and wiring loom.

£800 for an engine is silly.

I had the chance to buy an 225bhp S3 engine, with two turbos and gearboxes for £1000!

Just buy a Sport mate.

Would be much easier, and if your not doing the job yourself, would be just as cheap.

Don't forget, you need to sort out the brakes and wheel hubs.

Yer i do understand what you are all saying smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> (that it would be easier to buy a sport) but its just that it wont happen for a while and well in the mean time i want to mod the car but that makes it pointless if im going to be selling it in the future sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />.

Hmm maybe i should wait that bit longer for a 1.6. But also Andi the engine will be a brand new one, and if i buy a sport it'l have a fair thousand on the clock. All in all i just wanted to know basically what would need to be done for the 1.4 and the 1.6 and then i could do a cost analysis to see which was the cheaper option, i dont really mind about the hassel factor as well id just see it a a project/challenge and it wouldnt bother me.

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

You need to check whether it's the 1.4 16v (75bhp) or 1.4 16v (100bhp) engine. If it's only the 75bhp set up then it's not worth doing in my opinion, just go and buy a 1.4s.

Edited by Phantom Photon

Yer if its not the 100 bhp one then it'd be a total waste of time, maybe id try source one of a polo or somethin but i am leaning towards the 1.6 idea though.

Its not a new engine, its a recon that without buying it and stripping it down you will have no idea if the work he states has been done really has been.

To do all thats been stated your talking well over £500 in parts alone.

Its not a new engine, its a recon that without buying it and stripping it down you will have no idea if the work he states has been done really has been.

To do all thats been stated your talking well over £500 in parts alone.

Hmm oright i thought they were new... huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> thats kinda swayed my opinion a little. Hmm il think il get the cash ready then decide what to do next (and i gues stop the modding for now sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> ) Although a 1.4 tdi remap does look quite tasty (Hans ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> ) but im not sure whether il like the loudnessof the enigine.

Before I started my conversion I'd desided to sell my car and buy a 1400.

The only reason I didn't was most of my work on the car would need doing again (chassis mod and sound proofing for a start)

As you have only done the basics Id just buy the quicker car and transfer you bits over.

I think it would be easier to buy a sport, insurance will be a problem, and if you dont tell them then your wasting your money getting any insurance at all, also for the cost you might aswel sell yours and get a sport for a little more and when you come to sell it it will be worth much less than standard surely, because other people will just get a sport if that the power they want smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />