For those who are at work

one litre wonder ;)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick point about 4x4s though. Is this new taxation bracket based purely on emissions, or the very fact that it's a four-wheel drive?

Because, what about the Panda 4x4, Audi Quattros, etcetera... confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

AFAIK its only based on CO2 - not 100% sure though? The other thing to remember is that the new higher band only applies to vehicles registered on or after 23 March 2006. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

**** me its almost £200 to tax my punto for a year, £104 for 6 months!!!!!!!!!

Eh?!? How? Is it over 185g/km CO2 then?

Edited by nickilupo

Because it's a nasty polluting 1.8 wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Does it put out over 185g/km then?!? blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

AFAIK its only based on CO2 - not 100% sure though? The other thing to remember is that the new higher band only applies to vehicles registered on or after 23 March 2006. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Thanks Nicki smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I know that it only applies from today onwards, but there are new Panda 4x4s, and new four-wheel drive Audis, Passats, etcetera... I was just wondering.

So, according to the new rules, 12 months tax costs:

£50 for the Lupo 1.7 diesel (119g/km)

£110 for the 903cc Panda

£175 for the 205 1.8 diesel

£175 for the 306 1.9 diesel

Quite a difference there.

So a dirty 1.7 diesal costs twice as much as my 1.0 petrol!

Hows that work!

Eh? confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" /> Don't you mean half the amount?

If so, it's because the only thing that comes out of my exhaust is the sweet smell of strawberries tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Totally agree with the 2k tax for a 4x4 that someone mentioned.

One way would be to tax the car based on where the owners drivers licence is listed to, so anyone who lives within a big city has to pay loads, whilst those that live in villages and can justify it are able to pay less (still should be a lot though).

Of course they'll always be those city types with a place in the country that could get around it but for the most part it would be fair.

To me it would make more sense to tax the older 4x4's who chuck out the fumes that make you choke when you drive behind them

a bitter fran - who seems to be paying the highest lot of road tax out of everyone in my office and house

Edited by Fran

I've been on the DVLA's web site and it seems my lovely 1.4TDi is in group B. Which means i was getting robbed at £85 for 12 months TAX because i now have to pay £50 yes £50 for 12 months. That means i'll have enough to pay for my MOT every year lol.

All you petrol drivers can keep em and i'll stick with my speed machine biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Edited by BridLupo

Quite right too, I'm sure that if you can afford a £45K 2 tonne car then you can afford an extra £80 (or whatever it is) on top of the tax that you are already paying.

I'm not sure that's the point. The number of people driving vehicles that fit into the higher band it obviously increasing, so its the government gaining an extra £50 for every high-tax vehicle.

205gm/km! Get in with the £190 road tax! roflmao.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflmao:" border="0" alt="roflmao.gif" /> rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Interestingly, the increase on ciggys means that someone who smokes 20 a day will pay an extra 32 quid a year. Hardly gonna break the bank.

Incidentally, the only cars that will get you into the free tax band are (apparently) the Honda Insight (no longer sold) and the Smart Diesel (not sold in the UK).

205gm/km! Get in with the £190 road tax! roflmao.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflmao:" border="0" alt="roflmao.gif" /> rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Interestingly, the increase on ciggys means that someone who smokes 20 a day will pay an extra 32 quid a year. Hardly gonna break the bank.

Incidentally, the only cars that will get you into the free tax band are (apparently) the Honda Insight (no longer sold) and the Smart Diesel (not sold in the UK).

Would the Civic IMA Hybrid not get it, or do they not make that anymore now they've lauunched the new Civic? And what about the Prius?

Prius is 104gm/km. Civic IMA is 116gm/km (both from half-way down here).

Cutoff for 'free' tax is 100gm/km.

lmao so there isn't anyhing thats in band A? laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

What a crock of crap

No. You could buy a second-hand Insight (apparently there are around 200 registered in the UK, which makes them considerably more rare than a Lupo GTI or a VX220!) wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Or import a Smart diesel, if you really wanted to spend large amounts of energy importing a cheapskate's Mercedes that runs on carcinogens and looks like it'll fall over in a stiff breeze.

I agree with dj about hammering the SUV drivers.

An idiot at work had a Frontera and now has a Discovery. I asked why and apparantly it's because she needs space for the dog and an estate is Grandad-ish. I tried explaining that if she hit my car side on she'd probably kill me as it would go through my window not the door.

But it was like I was talking Serbo-Croat. She just stared at me blankly.

Tax the bstards to the hilt.

Honda Insight for sale near me on Fleabay. Here.

There's one in Torbay too. Have seen it a few times. I don't think I'd fit in it. I'd be interested to know the life span of the batteries, and how much they cost to replace!

Edited by BigMon

Agree with the taxing too, besides what's an extra few pounds to them.

There's a Honda Insight on the next road to me, in silver. Always parks right in the way on a bend. Doesn't have to pay tax, and doesn't have any sense lol

There's a Honda Insight on the next road to me, in silver. Always parks right in the way on a bend. Doesn't have to pay tax, and doesn't have any sense lol

Go and let his tyres down RIGHT NOW. The non tax paying git. laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />