De-cat pipe?

Bignosedbear

de-cat will decrease engine torque and power mate! honestly.

oh, i was always told that a decat improves it due to it lets the gas straight out, ie not passing through 'another' silly filter. One of my friends done it to his 'cough cough' VTS, and it improved it quite a bit. are you talking from experience?

im not an expert and not talkin from experience but from what i do know -

non turbo/supercharged cars need a certain amount of back pressure to maintain performance, "silly filters" also provide back pressure.

people used to remove cats on older cars when manufacturers just smashed them in the exhaust last minute. now they test it all with the cat in place so the exhaust system is giving optimum back pressure with the cat in place.

removing the cat removes this amount of back pressure so you will feel a loss in power.

so in theory a de-cat alone on your lupo will decreace performance and slightly improve sound, but mixed with the correct modifications will increace performance.

my advice is to ask someone who knows a lot about the subject before you order/remove anything

*edit* nice screen

Edited by Arun

I saw an advert in Evo saying as of some time this year, de-cat's will be illegal... I cant remember what it said, but I know the old chestnut about needing a CAT for the MOT, but this stated a date, so I presume it's something partly different.

I'll go try to find it...

Besides, the place I got mine remapped said they did a de-cat on a lupo GTI with RR before & after, and it lost 8bhp.

And everyone laughed at me until Ross tried it for himself biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Edited by zippy

Decat will work fine if you can find some way of convincing the ECU that it still has a catalytic convertor. If you don't then the second lambda sensor tells the ECU that something's wrong and the ECU starts running rich and causes the power output to suffer.

There are a few fake lambda sensor circuits around that may or may not work with the GTI. To be honest I'd go for a sports cat anyway though.

Decat will work fine if you can find some way of convincing the ECU that it still has a catalytic convertor. If you don't then the second lambda sensor tells the ECU that something's wrong and the ECU starts running rich and causes the power output to suffer.

There are a few fake lambda sensor circuits around that may or may not work with the GTI. To be honest I'd go for a sports cat anyway though.

Any ideas where to get one of these fake sensor circuits from? only i bought Ross's de-cat pipe ages ago and have still yet to fit it because of the problem youve mentioned

cheers

Darren

• 5 years later...

i replaced my cat with just some s/s piping as my cat was ****ed ! and there was a vaguely noticable improvement in power it did feel quicker and was more responsive and had a nice raspy tone but wasnt loud but never got round to putting it back in this is on the 75bhp 1.4 s cat underneath the car for those of you trying to figure out lambda positioning and effects on fueling.