New MX5 2.0 Sport test drive

twisty b-road

Is it as good as the last one?

Still think its girly, but Im sure theres plenty of kits out there already to change that lol

Only had brief test drives in the old one but yeah it's as good, sounds better too

One of the attractions for me is what you can get for them, and what surprises you could deal out to go against that image

Hmmm, interesting, you liked it?

Evo have been less than complimentary about it so far, it faired very badly in the eCOTY test, but Autocar seem to like it. Been wondering what proper prospective buyers thought.

From the pics I love the interior and the overall shape, ride height looked a bit comedy though, even by Lupo GTi standards.

Edited by AndyW

I couldn't give a toss what mags say - haven't for a while biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Music mags, car mags any of it

Is why I only buy Retro Cars now biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Edited by twisty b-road

I couldn't give a toss what mags say - haven't for a while

True, I'm just curious as to what you thought. I haven't heard anything from old MX-5's owners either, I expect there would be some comment from them somewhere.

AndyW, I added some smilies after cos it sounded a bit pointed

The more I read contrasting reviews (of anything) across different places the less stock I see in someone elses opinion, as everyone is different

I thought it was great, a great car (for my 10 miles)

Better sound, more comfortable and better to look at inside and out.

Maybe the steering doesn't quite have the feel of the old one (I've done only short hops in those too) but it's still quick to turn and it's got way more feeling than a lot of the other new cars I've driven recently. Not sure if it's quicker or not than the old one but it's quick enough for round here

I can't stop thinking about it

AndyW, I added some smilies after cos it sounded a bit pointed

Its ok, was a good point. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> The whole opinion thing was particularly highlighted with the difference of opinion with the Focus RS. Evo hated it, Autocar thought it drove on water.

I can't stop thinking about it

So, are you or aren't you? smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> And did you take any pictures? smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

The new is quicker. Much more dig than the older one 6 speed box as well. Does seem to sit higher but the extra width inside really is noticable. Feels very anchored. Passenger in one last week, sat there all very comfortable thinking pootling along at 70, only to be told just took the left hander at a 1er

J agrees with twisty, ignore mags, drive it yourself

How much are they?

Be getting me a second hand 05 S2000k for 20k!

There is a red one at work, i must say they do look rather cool with them big wheels!

I really like these too. Especially in the grey colour. Think they need lowering but apart from that pretty much spot on. I think some of the style (not the shape) hints towards BMW which in this case is not a bad thing as I always thought the old MX5 interior and stlye (again not the shape) was not too nice, quite dull even.

Not sure I would own one as I am very limited on cars that I would actually want to put up with day to day but still a nice new car. Just the right compromise between keeping a tie to the old car but looking fresh at the same time...and it bears resemblance to the RX8 which is good really as I like it when manufacturers do something that makes all their models distinctively 'theirs' so to speak.

If I could afford one I'd be in the queue with you Twisty I love it.

Stopped off at the Mazda garage on my way home last week to have a look at it and I'm glad I had plans that evening otherwise I would have stayed there a while and test driven it which would have led to the inevitable...

I've always liked the MX5 since I forst saw one and although the last one wasn't quite as pretty as the first it was still a good drive but now it seems like this one has everything, if only they still fitted pop-ups.

As for the comments about it being a girls car... come on we drive Lupo's so hardly the hairy chest (apart from one) classic sportscar brigade are we! wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

could always save a few quid and get this one instead biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

BIG SPOILER, 1 OF BODY KIT, CARBON MIRRORS WIV LIGHTS

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Totally-Custom-Mazda...1QQcmdZViewItem

The new mx5 has more grip and better road holding than the previous one but the larger wheels and tyres don't make it as progressive and remove some of the low speed fun, or so claims my neighbour who bought one for his wife (eis a hairdresser lol). Means you cna drive it harder whithout thinking about the tail loosing traction which in the real world most drivers of mx5s probably apreciate but it's less of a hardcore sports car as a result, a bit more grown up. 2lr with only 160ish bhp is poor though, i'll wait till there's at least a 180bhp version before i have a test drive.

Should have seen me in the last MX5. With the roof down, I looked over the windscreen like Noddy, with the roof up I had to do a Houdini impression to get in the car.

It was so bad that even the Mazda dealer told my wife if she bought one I wouldn't be going in it with her. laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Shame, cos we both liked it. Has the new one got much more room?

Finally found some decent pictures, there are loads in the US and Aus, but so far the UK owners clubs don't *seem* that excited about the car.

2194670_1_full.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

2194670_2_full.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

2194670_3_full.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

Love the interior, the back is my least favourite view, but I love what they've done with the front and the wheel arches, simple yet really nice looking car. Saw a black one at christmas very briefly, looked very subtle.

the seats look far too flat and no decent side bolsters, sip up quite high at the front too, bet they'd cut into your legs over a longer journey.

Edited by Crusoe