POLO G40

ryan lupo sport

quite an old car now and not that many sold so rare now and overpriced compared to the better golf gti. Guy at work has one, had quite a few problems with it and costing him a lot of money to keep going now though he recently bought another one so he can strip it for spares.

Good points: Fast and fun and cheap

Bad points: Poor standard handling, poor brakes, fragile engines if not looked after and serviced properly, require charger rebuild every 40,000 miles, expensive to repair engine if anything goes wrong, all are over 10 years old now so most at fairly high mileages and bodywork prone to rust problems moreso than other VW models of the time... apart from that nothing biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Driven my mates stage 4 tuned G40 cool.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> And what a wicked little car that is!!

takes about 6.5 seconds to 60 but doesnt feel all that safe to be honest! I'd definitely consider getting one, buts as said prices are high for a well looked after one

My wife had one. It was a hoot to drive but the build quality was crap. Bodywork built in Spain and rusted after only a few years.

Engine was the best bit(112bhp). In a Lupo it would be perfect.

Lupo GTI will be quicker and better bet.

The chassis was crap.

The suspension was rock solid

The exhaust kept blowing a centre section which was special order and 6weeks from VW.

The brakes were the worst bit. Totally under speced and soggy pedal.

I spent about £1500 on the G40 in 18months keeping it on the road and I had extended warranty. Brakes, exhaust, servicing not covered!

Ours was a K reg and still on the road last time I checked on DVLA. I hate to think what it has cost since we sold it.

It could accelerate like fun but people always misjudged how quick you were going so we opted for a VR6 Corrado because at least it had some street cred and the incidents of slow drivers pulling out stopped!

Charles

hello there...i had one, but traded up to a lupo gti.

essentially its a bloody awful, badly built, poorly engineered, bad handling, non stopping pile of crap....

....wrapped around an amazingly potent power plant.

its tireing to drive, expensive to run and maintain, and not as well built as the older mk2 polo was (i had a few of these too).

unless you can find a really really good condtion, very low miles car for not alot of money (£2000 or less), then dont bother.

and dont have it as an only car either...

Lupo GTI will be quicker

blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> I seriously disagree with that statement. My GTI is *nowhere* near as quick as John's g40 was...

Seriously though, the people to ask are the polo boys. Most of the g40 owners are on the Pitstop forum (& porka).

polo gt40 only weighs 800ish kg, should be quite a bit quicker than the lupo gti unless you are doing over 100 where the higher power and lowerd drag shoudl help the lupo.

had one , think same sort of performance as a good gti 16 v mk2 golf, without the brakes. lol

also have 1 on the drive atm.

"Lupo GTI will be quicker"

I suppose I should qualify this by saying from A to B. The G40 hated corners!

I guess most of them are tuned up to 150bhp. Easy mod by fitting bigger belt on the charger. It is still a pile of .... but a quick one. This may explain the difference in opinion?

I can drive the 1.4 Lupo quicker A to B than the G40. Better brakes would have helped but they should have been fitted as standard.

I did love the G40 engine!

Charles

• 9 months later...

I found this old thread and as a g40 owner i thought i'd clear up a few of these myths that have been spoken about on this thread. Not all bad comments as i recognise a few names from the polo forums on here.

for one the g40 is not an unreliable car, yes probably not as reliable as some newer cars of todays quality but if you look after them and maintain them correctly then they will last a long time. the problem today is that so many people will abuse them, upgrade them and squeeze as much out of them as possible. this combined with old fuel pumps, superchargers etc etc is a bad combination. if you start off with a nice example with fresh parts and then upgrade you will have a ****in awesome little car that will be reliable and last a long time.

i also have to disagree about comments about them rusting in a few years? how come mine has virtually no rust on it? its 14 years old, had no paint repairs or accident damge and i bought it off a woman in durham who used it as a shopping trolley and never washed it and still virtually no rust whatsoever?! have a look at a ford fiesta of the same time, if its still there Dan-4.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

P1010052.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

P1010005.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Dan-5.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Edited by spaniel

I've had 3 G40's and not one has been unreliable. I put over 20,000 miles on them and never had an major problems. there was rust to be found on each one, but it was very small and all due to smething like a crack in the paintwork and where it had a bump, or water coming in.

I'll have another one soon im sure of it. I'd love to have a lupo g40 more so than a vr6 lupo.

And I never used to llike red cars untill the only g40 I could find for sale was red. tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

G40's are rare yes, but when your driving one, you're always on the look out for another g40, and you do spot them about. I've need more g40's than I have seen lupo gti's recently but it must be to do with where I'm spending most of my time, south wales, and northampton laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Ive owned one and driven heavily modified ones.

Standard, quick car, see of a lupo gti.

modified, even better.

Bad points:-

They have really poor handling, Can be improved with suspension mods but wont still handle as well as a golf equivalent.

I'd have one again, it would look standard, but have modified engine/brakes and suspension only.

Taz

some pics of mine, although not as clean g403.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

one g40 wasn't enough so I picked this one up too, totally standard execpt a stage 2 charger, around 115bhp

j402.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

my third which I've just sold. standard looking but modded to 160bhp and with the supension mods to match, handled better than most cars I've owned. may second only to the type-r.

newg40.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

I can say that any of them have had poooor handling. they have a lot of body roll but it just adds to the fun. every moment driving a g40 should feel like your last!

I have never owned one but been in a mk2 golf g60 conversion and there is something about supercharger.

The droneing noise when you are cruising along gives it real character. Bit of acclerator and it was like it was on elastic. Had a few things done to it though. I would imagine the polo would have the same character traits. Sound awsome with an eaton fitted.

And I never used to llike red cars untill the only g40 I could find for sale was red. tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> I was looking for any other colour but...only 38k on it so I had to have it! Box fresh it was lovely, only sold it because I felt it was too good and standard to modify...so I now have G running gear lurking in the garage blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> (I suppose I could put it in the Arosa but rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> ). Straightline traction was good, handling wasn't really that bad but then it was tight and as-new, with wear I daresay they get worse.

Chris' G with half a dead pigeon in the airbox stiil kept up with an e30 325i...

I had the misfortune of having a oil leak on my 3.2 Carrera the morning of a Porsche drive from Perth to Ballater for lunch and back. It is a wonderful twisty road with lots of bumps and fast straights as well as the Devil's Elbow up to Glenshee.

I had to take the G40 for the Porsche run! Well there was original RS, 964RS, 993TTs, 930TSE etc

I managed to keep up with most of the cars but I must admit coming down the Devil's Elbow behind a 993TT and 930TSE was an eye opener. They shot off down the steep hill doing over 100. I finally caught up but not until I had taken off over the couple of bumps at the bottom of the hill. Not too bad the wee G40 when playing with the big boys.

Must scan a photo of it with the Porsches. It was the courtesy car for OPC Perth and had Porsche service stamps in the book. Nice car.