Sport Vs TDi

want_arosa_sport

I'm looking at getting a Mk2 Arosa and thought that i wanted the sport (the top speed and styling) but having a look for arosa's the TDi has caught my eye. Although the top speed is less (117 - sport, 106 - TDi according to Parker's) the torque difference is incredible (95 lb/ft - sport, 144 lb/ft TDi).

So what i'm looking for is the advantages of having either, is it possible to get the centre exit for the TDi, are there any major styling differences between the two (ride height etc)

Cheers in advance for any help.

Having gone from a 1.0 Loop to a 1.4 TDi (also Sport) I can say that the performance is noticable.

When in real life anyway do you get a chance to run at over 90mph realistically anyway?

If you want my advice, if you do a lot of inner town driving and short journeys go for the Pertol Sport as the TDi takes forever to warm up and doesn't give great economy in town.

However, if you do a lot of A Roads and Motorways and longer journeys then the Diesel is the one to go for. Mechanically they are the same except for some reason never explained to me the diesel doesn't get rear discs despite being heavier than the petrol.

The TDI may say sport but at 105mph its only just faster than a 1.0!

Plus what you gonna do, you'd have the wrong name!

In the brochure, the TDI may say 105mph, But this can easily be disproven (on a stretch of Off-road-road... obviously) lol. Is 116mph GPS Speed good enough?

here we go again lol, the sport will accelerate faster from lights than the sport TDI, but in the mid-range, I would assume the TDI having more torque will pull better, and faster in a certain gear compared to a petrol sport, however this can be solved in the petrol by changing down a gear or so to access more of the bhp, which the petrol has 25 extra of (unchipped) and then yet again the petrol will be faster....

Depends what you want really heres what I think....

Petrol Sport - better acceleration, faster, nice engine note, characterful, revvy, disc brakes all around, centre exhaust. still quite economical, but nowhere near as much as the TDI.

Diesel Sport - slower but due to extra torque feels faster than it actually is, cant rev as high but pulls better further down the revs, can be chipped to 100bhp (which wud make it faster than the equivilent petrol I believe) only drum brakes on the back, not discs like petrol, and most importantly: more economical, probably more comfortable on the motorway.

So basically I think giving you the advantages and disadvantages of either its up for you to choose, they're both good cars, I just found a petrol sport lupo I fell in love with on the forecourt when I was looking at an arosa! hehe

Pete

can be chipped to 100bhp

Remember this is a claimed figure.

Untill I see a car off and back on the rollers same day, same place same tyre pressures I wont belive it.

Dont know where this 25bhp hike claim came from, but Ive seen no evidance of it.

I see what your saying.

To me, you either want a oil burner or you dont.

If you want something that feels sporty (cos to be fair, nether are sporty cars - just nippy) then the fact the sport revs like a erm.. petrol.

If you don't like to hear the engine screaming its tits off every time your on the motorway, then the chug chug could be for you.

The choice is simple.

Do I want a diesal or dont I?

(ps, I was joking about the engine, I like the TDi engine very much. Just dont think it can be looked at as 'Sporty')

The TDi might have slower 0 - 60 times but race a petrol sport up a hill and you'll win. Will also be quicker with a full tank of fuel and 4 people in or towing. Driven my TDi for 4 months now and it would take one hell of a petrol to get me to change back. Can't beat the economy but thats why i got it i do lots of 60 roads

When i was looking for an Arosa i decided the 1.0 was far too slow so it was choice between an 1.4 petrol or the 1.4 TDi and in the end i chose 1.4 8v ive got now because basically its quickish in parkers is said to be slower than the new punto 1.2's but it wastes them easy and the pull from 50 to 70 in fifth gear is the same as my mates tdi 206

yes i get crap fuel economy 80 miles, 100 if im really lucky to £10 but it makes its power at 3000 revs so is like a tdi for that and is the type of car that does anything at stuff all revs, hardest ive revved it before was 4800 revs

One reason i was gonna have a TDi is they respond very well to chipping like marks arosa above but my insurance doesnt allow chipping at all so that was ruled out anyway

One thing also that you guys are getting confused with is there is no Tdi sport like there is with the lupos

i personally would go for one of mine theres two sitting on my drive because they are a very good car if i had found one though id have had a sport

wayne

Tigz didnt the 1.4 TDi in a Audi A2 produce 100bhp though? so surely its probably possible, I didnt think that engine was significantly modified from the one we found in the lupo? I mite be wrong!

Edited by Petes 16V Sport

Reason I didnt mention yours was because you didn't answer my question?

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?s=&...ndpost&p=193456

Sorry Andi, completely missed that one mate. Yeah it was 83BHP on the same day. When I asked Mike if his Dynostar was over reading, he said that it wasn't, so 83 seems an acurate reading I think. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

No, I think they upped it from 75-90bhp.

http://media.audiusa.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=9294

Yeah and they did it using a new turbocharger, not changing performance settings on the chip according to that article, which surely to cost save they would if they could?

remember as i said you dont get any of the extras with a TDi that you get with an arosa sport theyre too totally different cars and as decide on here before if you do motorway driving and want fuel ecconomy and torgue if you want a 'drivers' car then get the sport without a doubt

wayne

remember as i said you dont get any of the extras with a TDi that you get with an arosa sport theyre too totally different cars and as decide on here before if you do motorway driving and want fuel ecconomy and torgue if you want a 'drivers' car then get the sport without a doubt

wayne

TBH... You've driven neither, so saying the TDI isnt a drivers car is a bit of a stupid thing to come out with.

Have obviously hit a nerve there so sorry for expressing my oppinion the sport lets face was made to be a drivers car

it has harder suspension which you except as it will handle better

it will do less MPG but you except this as it goes well

it has to be driven hard (high revs) but you except this as once your there it pulls very well

Im in no way critising Tdi's i nearly had one myself exactly like sleeky's but made the dicission that i wanted a petrol rather than a diesel because

Dont like the sound of diesels and cant make them sound as nice as the petrol varient in my experience with mates cars

and general other things but yes i get where your coming from

wayne

Edited by The subtle modder