Lupo Spaceframe Build

1 Litre Screamer

What wheels and brakes are you going to put on this?

the wheels are the same as i had on before, the light magnesium multi spokes. The rear brake will be a single unit mounted inboard, this will be a wilwood superlight with a 280mm disc. The fronts will be either VAG units or small wilwoods. The car wont wiegh much so it wont be needing huge brakes, just good ones that are cooled properly.

Edited by 1 Litre Screamer

I just scrolled through 31 pages reading all of your posts and most of the comments, now my bum is num but it was worth it ca'nt wait to see it finished.

Looks cracking so far and keep up the good work. rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Edited by ID modds

been waiting for an update on this one darren will be so god when its finnished

DSC01573.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Just my thoughts here but is the roll cage horizontal bars not too far forward? i havent been in the arosa for a while (driving Mini's) but i swear in my TT seats i sit just inline with the B pillar and id imagine its even more so with your bucket seats which would mean you cant go back enough and leave space between the frame?

will be made even lighter with a few extra holes and some sanding to thin out the material.

Darren this weight loss obsesion has got to stop your going too far blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> roflmao.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflmao:" border="0" alt="roflmao.gif" />

good luck as always

wayne

been waiting for an update on this one darren will be so god when its finnished

Just my thoughts here but is the roll cage horizontal bars not too far forward? i havent been in the arosa for a while (driving Mini's) but i swear in my TT seats i sit just inline with the B pillar and id imagine its even more so with your bucket seats which would mean you cant go back enough and leave space between the frame?

Darren this weight loss obsesion has got to stop your going too far blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> roflmao.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflmao:" border="0" alt="roflmao.gif" />

good luck as always

wayne

The weight has to go, anything including me will be slimmed down. rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

The seats sit about 15mm forward of the main hoop so it wont be an issue, i made sure of that before i put the harness bar there!

Thanks silver, hope it turns out to be just that.

i admire you!

i just read through all the 31 pages n tbh i think im more excited about seein this finished than my own lupo tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

i admire you!

i just read through all the 31 pages n tbh i think im more excited about seein this finished than my own lupo tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> i'm sure you dont mean that, plus i'm am positive that your car will be finished before mine is.

He is obsessed with the weight loss on the lupo because the owner is a fat git!

Love you really Darren tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Its coming on well mate, would be nice to get down to our work shop so i can help!

It will be fully road legal and have lights! i am making a new loom so i can use very thin wire and only put in what is needed.

Can you not use the VW loom for the lights, the wires are not that thick and it will mean less work for you!

Can you not use the VW loom for the lights, the wires are not that thick and it will mean less work for you!

Thanks for the fat git comment you skinny sod. I can see someone getting cable tied to the fencing at Brands next week!

The wiring is different for the headlights, dont forget I'm using those very low power HID units. They only draw 35 watts when on so i could use really thin wire to do that job. Any saving on wiring is really needed as i want to keep it to a minimum.

It will be good to get the car to work, it would really come along quick, although i would get a telling off for living at work and not going home but i do that now and dont have anything to show for it!.

if you can get it to 400kgs, and have a special ecu map to switch it to a low power setup then you could drive it without a driving license as its classed as a 4 wheeled bike or something, like a quad bike in legal terms, would save you any speeding points on your driving license. would also pay bike level tax i think.

Edited by Clouseau

if you can get it to 400kgs, and have a special ecu map to switch it to a low power setup then you could drive it without a driving license as its classed as a 4 wheeled bike or something, like a quad bike in legal terms, would save you any speeding points on your driving license. would also pay bike level tax i think.

Yeah but why would he want a 'low power set up'? The whole point of this is lots of power in a light car. If he wanted a 'low power set up' then he would have kept the standard 1.0 with all the trimmings wouldn't he!?!?!?

NOCK

thats why i said a switchable ecu map, which is easy to do. 1 map for like tiny power, and then normal map for tuned performance.

an on board switch can be used to change maps.

Ok i get you now. Not sure about running it as a bike though because it is still in a Lupo body which is classified as a car. BUt if you can then that would be brilliant for you.

NOCK

Edited by NOCK

Wrong on both counts. My mate has one, he has to pay same tax as a car. He also has to have a brake light (day light mot and a horn). Anything with 4 wheels and a reverse is EXACTUALY same laws as a car. Quads work out very expensive realy, motorbikes are far cheaper

quad bikers dont need a car driving licence i was sure of it. maybe its changed.

as for MOT i drove my car for several years with daylight MOT, none of my lights were tested they were all masked off, including brakelights.

quote MOT rules.

" Stop lamps are not a legal requirement if the vehicle is fitted with neither front nor rear position lamps etc. (see 1.1)"

"

To be legally used on a road, a vehicle:

· Must be registered

· Must be taxed

· Must have an MOT

· Must have lights and a numberplate

For a rider to use a vehicle on a road, they must:

· Be over the age of 16

· Wear a suitable crash helmet

· Hold a valid driving licence

· Hold an appropriate certificate of motor insurance

The only powered vehicles to which the above rules do not apply are electrically assisted pedal cycles or powered wheelchairs/ scooters designed for disabled people. [8]

THEREFORE YOU HAVE TO HAVE A LICENCE.

They MOT im not going to argue as Ive heard some people say this, but localy I nor my mate can get anythrough without brake light or horn, we have been told these are a must even for day light only MOT

i had horn, but no lights at all, even no registration lights. passed at a main dealers, they had to ring their HQ expert though as they had never dealt with it before. the police pulled me once as it looks so obvious from the outside with no light units on the front. they had to ring traffic police who told them it was ok. i wouldnt reccomned daylight MOTs its a lot of hassle actually, and i have been stuck in a supermarket carpark a number of times when mist/fog drifted in.

This is easy to end any arguements regarding the tax and mot. Qually, i have to say, why the feck would i want to run a 200bhp engine on low power?? taxation for sva type approved vehicles goes on emissions so a zx12 running a crappy map would be even higher tax than the true map, plus it would do some serious damage to the valve train. As for the light issues, i think the sva test and vosa guys would have something to say about no lights or brake lights. i do intend on using this car in both day and night so that would be a complete waste of time.

The whole idea of this car is to make the thing road legal yet as light as possible and that goes hand in hand with also been very fast. Its not going to sit there looking pretty, its going to be ripping its way around roads and tracks so has to be legal.

Just because the car has a bike engine doesnt mean that it falls under any bike mot regulation, its a car and will always be a car.

Your gona use it daily mate? Get some ear plugs.lol

the passat is the main daily car but it will make it out through the summer as my daily driver. Along with my intercom system!!! 120db inside the car isnt going to be to much fun for that long.

Edited by 1 Litre Screamer

This is easy to end any arguements regarding the tax and mot. Qually, i have to say, why the feck would i want to run a 200bhp engine on low power?? taxation for sva type approved vehicles goes on emissions so a zx12 running a crappy map would be even higher tax than the true map, plus it would do some serious damage to the valve train. As for the light issues, i think the sva test and vosa guys would have something to say about no lights or brake lights. i do intend on using this car in both day and night so that would be a complete waste of time.

The whole idea of this car is to make the thing road legal yet as light as possible and that goes hand in hand with also been very fast. Its not going to sit there looking pretty, its going to be ripping its way around roads and tracks so has to be legal.

Just because the car has a bike engine doesnt mean that it falls under any bike mot regulation, its a car and will always be a car.

thats fine i was just theorising.

i am right about the bike license though, i remembered it when i saw an advert for this car.

"MC2 is the worlds first lightweight small saloon 4 seat car weighing under 400kg. combined with the interior space of a Mini and with a 505cc fuel injection engine capable of 72mph and over 60mpg.

MC2 may be driven by car and motor bike licence holders in the UK."

news_long.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

this car does not need a car driving license.

Edited by Clouseau

the power restriction for the bike licence is 15kw, thats why i suggested a switchable map to give 15kw low power. i wasnt at all suggesting you drive it with 15kw, for inspections etc. that kind of thing.