Lupo Spaceframe Build

1 Litre Screamer

Arun, the front suspension will stay the same, the only change will be to the cv joints which will be machined to allow them to be used as just stub axles to hold the wheel hub and bearings on.

Tigz, the bracket i have has been seriously moddified to allow me to run without the pas pump, all of the holes are drilled out to take m12 bolts. if you still want it and feel upto mod'ing it let me know.

Edited by 1 Litre Screamer

looking good mate! i was beginning to think that you were enjoying driving the pink fiat. tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> just curious but how is the fuel gonna get into the tank at the front when the filler neck is at the back of the car? (apart from at the petrol station for all the wise guys/gals out there!)

looking good mate! i was beginning to think that you were enjoying driving the pink fiat. tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> just curious but how is the fuel gonna get into the tank at the front when the filler neck is at the back of the car? (apart from at the petrol station for all the wise guys/gals out there!)

the filler at the back will be used for something else, the filler for the tnk in the front will be either through the bonnet or under the bonnet to keep it out of sight. i still have to decide on that.

I cant beleive it still looks low on the front! shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

if theres anything you think would be usefull on my lupo that you're taking off. let me know! tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Nice bit of work you've done there smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

It certainly cleaned up ok smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />, spose a 1 year old car should really tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Have fun in the fiat

DSC01345.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

have you been rallying it? that engine bay is unbelieveably filthy in the above pic surprise.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":surprise:" border="0" alt="surprise.gif" /> oh and also how come youve only got two aftermarket ignition leads huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

glad to see youve started smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> assume your gonna use original front panel with original rad or a gti one if different? seen them used on the bike minis and there apparently prefect and running it with all the coolant pipes runing down the transmission tunnel, then a custom ally fuel tank behind that and thats pretty much it for the front?

did you make up the engine frame for the rear? and if so any pics? oh and good luck thumbsup.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumbsup:" border="0" alt="thumbsup.gif" />

wayne

Edited by The subtle modder

have you been rallying it? that engine bay is unbelieveably filthy in the above pic surprise.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":surprise:" border="0" alt="surprise.gif" /> oh and also how come youve only got two aftermarket ignition leads huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

glad to see youve started smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> assume your gonna use original front panel with original rad or a gti one if different? seen them used on the bike minis and there apparently prefect and running it with all the coolant pipes runing down the transmission tunnel, then a custom ally fuel tank behind that and thats pretty much it for the front?

did you make up the engine frame for the rear? and if so any pics? oh and good luck thumbsup.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumbsup:" border="0" alt="thumbsup.gif" />

wayne

Questions needing answers i think!, I had actually taken the car on some very muddy roads that were more along the lines of rally stages than roads so thats how it got so dirty. The 2 aftermarket leads were fitted after i melted the originals on a trackday!

I'll be using the original front panel but not the radiator, that will be from a fiat siecento, they are the same width as the VW but not as tall, that leaves more room for the fuel tank which will be a fuel cell rather than the ali tank. I havent done the rear frame yet as this has to be welded to the car and the roll cage but thats the easy part. I'll take pictures as i go along.

The Fiat is alot of ermmm, lets say fun! It doesnt handle anywhere near as good as the loop but at least it has electric windows and a cd player, oh and a heater that actually heats up. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Edited by 1 Litre Screamer

The only thing that i find odd about using the sei/cinq rad (there all the same) is that the cooling on the tuned engines isnt very good so many people on the FF have upgraded to ally rads but its up to you and thinking about it how big a fuel tank do you want ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> , also is your engine frame not going to be removeable then?

And yes the centos are fun or 'chuckable' as i used to say odd that you say not as good handling though what model sei is it if you dont mind me asking and would you say the lupo was better or worse than it standard?

good luck with the project daz as you know i cant wait to see this one finnished and hopefully one day see it in action smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

wayne

Edited by The subtle modder

Wow great pics, nice to see you are finally getting started with this madness! wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Edited by Dale

The only thing that i find odd about using the sei/cinq rad (there all the same) is that the cooling on the tuned engines isnt very good so many people on the FF have upgraded to ally rads but its up to you.

thinking about it how big a fuel tank do you want,

also is your engine frame not going to be removeable then?

what model sei is it if you dont mind me asking and would you say the lupo was better or worse than it standard?

The fiat rad does struggle with a tuned engine in the normal setup of the engine right behind it, but my engine has 2 long alloy pipes running from the engine in the back through the tunnel and up to the rad in the front, so the distance will greatly improve the cooling. Also the kawasaki rad is tiny, so the cinq rad has a good start to begin with.

The fuel tank will be around the 30 litre capacity, somewhere around 650x130x200mm. This should give me 135 mile range driving it steadily and around 35 miles flat out. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

The engine frame wont be removable, things flex around too much if they are removable. It will be part of the chassis.

The fiat is the sx model, it handles sooo bad. The steering wheel doesnt actually turn the car, it just induces body roll smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

In standard form the lupo beats it easily on handling and comfort and most certainly looks, build quality, power, seat position, brakes, stereo quality. All in all the Lupo is way better.

its taken me ages to read all this but well worth it keep up the good work and keep posting up the pics of the progress nice one mate biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Where did you get your cage from mate and how much? I have plans that involve one (although not on my Arosa wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />) and am currently trying to find out as much as I can so I can cost things up! I'm presuming it's bolt in right?

OK cool. Are the bolt in ones still pretty strong then?

They are very strong, the bolt-in cages use a sandwich plate style of mounting to the floor pan.

Thanks for filling in whilst i was away peeps. My cage is the OMP bolt-in type but will be welded in and alot more steel added!.

i hope chris 260 doesnt mind me using these, i just wanted to ask, how much is it lowered here? it looks so nice.!!

i think its around 80 or 100mm, very hard to tell though. all done on fk highsports. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

mmm looks sweat, im in the process of deciding how low and whether i o for just springs or coilovers.

also like i said previously, if when you get rid of the 1L engine you fancy passing down, for a small sum of money that air filter i noticed in the pics i would consider doing a deal!! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

A day of hard work has left the lupo as a bare shell, everything is off and the car is now ready to start having the cutter thrown into it!

Its so nice working on new cars,everything unfastens so easily. frontinterior.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

DSC01371.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

rearsusp.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

shell.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Looking damn good there i love seeing cars fully stripped and built up from there and cant wait to see the rear install pics smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

And my dads standing by the side of me now and saids your "a mad bast ard for doing that to a newish car" although as you know i agree with you in the theory of why not laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

and you have a PM wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

wayne