Few things have been fixed for once

RE: 8v Vs. 16v motor. I've got the 8v in my Ibiza and compared to the Mrs's 16v 1.4 Loop engine they're different beasts all together! 8v just makes more noise over 3,500 rpm where the Loop loves it! Can't really compare between the 2 in terms of performance 'cause the Seat is bigger but i do get 400 miles to £30 in the Ibiza smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah it was the same for me when i was complaining of poor fuel consumption (around 35MPG average) and very slow acceleration (even slow dfor a 1.0I) because of a duff engine.

We get about 35-36 out of our 16v Sport, driven fast. It would do more, but it's too much fun to drive slowly!

If you want to do a proper MPG test:

1. Fill the tank until the pump shuts off.

2. Zero the trip mileometer.

3. Drive the car till it's as empty as you dare (maybe until the warning light?)

4. Fill the tank until the pump shuts off- use the same pump.

5. Take the no. of litres you just bought, divide by 4.545. That gives you gallons used.

6. Take the trip meter reading, divide that by you last answer, = MPG

It's much better to do this on a full tank as it averages out different traffic situations.

RE: 8v Vs. 16v motor. I've got the 8v in my Ibiza and compared to the Mrs's 16v 1.4 Loop engine they're different beasts all together! 8v just makes more noise over 3,500 rpm where the Loop loves it! Can't really compare between the 2 in terms of performance 'cause the Seat is bigger but i do get 400 miles to £30 in the Ibiza smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Never driven anything with the 8v 1.4, but your description of the 16v is spot on.

• 2 months later...

Right an update has hasnt been in for a while so started to get sick of it had loads of meither with mums car so didnt take mine back in anyway i asked them for the following

1) Handbrake was putting it on five clicks and it was creaking and moving down the drive ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> which on such a new car is a joke

2) clunking spring type noise when setting off from rear passenger wheel usually when reversing off my drive

3) front left hand wheel locked up the other day on its own (after pressing pedal obviously rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> ) and when came to set off again steering was nearly locked confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

4) "oh and bites low on clutch and it sometimes crunches going into second from any gear so can you check the pedal box" MANAGER- "yes but ive not heard that causing problems before" "well considering its a common problem on the polos and lupos and whether you believe it or not this is based on them" OK

Got told "right non of that is under the 3 year waranty as its all wearable parts not a manufacturing default" so i should be charging you but ill just tell them to check these bits when they get time" so i said "how the hell do you figure that rant ranty etc nearly ripped his head off

anyway pedal box wasnt broke -- instead theres three bolts that holds the clutch master cylinder on top of the clutch pedal but two of them totally werent there ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

handbrake adjusted so is now on two to three clicks smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

full brake efficiency test again which said all brakes are correct even thought the pasenger front wheel has more brake power the the drivers front wheel which i think is odd confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

Anyway the car is amazingly different now the clutch pedal bite is towards the top and feels much different the brake pedal is harder so that was obviously moving with the clutch pedal when them bolts were missing and the car is brilliant finnaly and was really really happy

but as always with LC Charles for every good theres bad so while doing the above they managed to kerb my passenger side rear wheel angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" /> and managed to wear the edge down on my drivers door down slightly angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" /> both of which they denied although i know they did them especially the wheels as id put them on an hour before going out and had gone straight there rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> as i said there doing nothing about it the lad nearly admitted the dorr but the manager wouldnt let him and at the end of the day he did spend from 9:00 in morning till (i had to wait there) 12:15 working on the car himself permanently and then took time to explain what problems he had fixed while the manager just said "see i told you there was no problems with the brakes" and the lad had actually noticed them bolts missing which the last two times when clutch was supposedly checked they did not notice

the lad also admitted to me that yes he himslef thinks the brakes on these are pretty poor when all the manager saids is "your imagineing things the brakes are really good"

overall im glad i took it in though and if they got rid of that stupid service manager and looked after the cars a bit more they would be good and id advise anyone who thinks they have a a clutch pedal problem etc to check all three bolts are theyre, although im now back on dunlop SP Sport tyres from my mums Michelins and i forgot how bad they were, opposite lock out of a corner livened up last nights trip home laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

wayne

Edited by The subtle modder

Which bolts do i check?

Yeah the Dunlops are incredibly bad tyres, i have only got two left on my car now which were on the front, i changed them over for the Kumho's that were on the back and it really grips well now, on the front anyway. The only thing is that the kumhos dont really stick out beond the alloy much (a few mm) so ill have to be more careful when im parking now blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Edited by cardaft

Apparently if you stick your head in the drivers footwell and look up to the top of the clutch pedal you should see three bolt holes and if you have more luck than me then there will be three bolts in them wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

and surprised myself tonight roads were as icy as feck but came bombing round my local roundabout at 30 without any sliding about which surprised my mate whos usually saying "its not a frigging drift car its meant to go straight not sideways"

wayne

Ok thanks ill have a look, my clutch biting point quite high so i suppose its probably more worn than anything, maybe the previous owner rided the clutch at junctions, but it dosnt seem to be juddering anymore, that was probably the wheels slipping on the slippery road maybe blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />