Disconnecting Passenger airbag

Not wanting to a large un-fixable hole in my dash, or smacking my little girl in the face Id like to disconnect my passenger airbag.

Found the post on disconnection the steering wheel bag, but not been able to find anything on the dash mounted one.

First off, will disconnecting this, leave my air bag light on?

MOT will be due once the car is back on the raod, and I think I remember it being a fail if the light is on.

Secondily, unlike any other car Ive know, the Lupo doesn't seem to have a switch for the passenger airbags for the times when child seats are needed.

Anyone know the order in which to disconnect the airbag?

Many thanks.

in most cases, vw do a kit for deactivating the passenger airbags. think they're around the £20 mark, and include a resistor, some wires and a certificate saying that its been deactivated. i think it has to be programmed out of the ecu too, tho not 100% sure! to be safe, i'd check with ur local dealer, tho i'll ask and have a look for you tmw at work!

What you must remember though is the statement "airbag" etc must be removed as your giving the passenger false representation which is bad if you crash as they can then sue you

On fiats you take out the airbag and connect two wires to a fuse and the light comes on with ignition checks then goes out as normal, dont know about Vw's but assume thats basically what the VW kit is gonna do just more money

right, looked into this today! part no is 6x0 998 521 b and costs £31.66 inc vat at retail price. Porb not something a dealer would keep in stock, but shud be fairly easy to get hold of (can't check if vw have them on a sat tho!)

have also been told that they will need to code out the airbag from the airbag ecu, which is located behind the centre console on the transmission tunnel, and a certificate stating that the airbag has been deactivated is issued with the kit for insurance and future reference purposes.

i would STRONGLY recommend that this type of work is carried out at a dealer only, as these are a safety feature of the car and also meant to be there. this will also mean that the kit has been fitted professionally (which mite be required for proof if the worst were to happen), and all the neccesary paperwork will be done too.

with the vw kit, the lite shouldn't come on at all, unless ur drivers airbag has a fault! the resistor in the wiring stops the lite coming on.

There are a few ecu's or modules on the car. You will only be replacing the engine one. Airbag ecu is seperate, so you wuold stiil have to get it done.

Remember lessons learnt previously when trying to save money. You may end up spending more in the end. wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> happy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="^_^" border="0" alt="happy.gif" />

As ive said its got to be worth trying a fuse in between the wires if it works

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A fuse wont make an diffrence buddy.

A fuse is basicly something that allows the current to pass through.

The same as a piece of wire smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Would you be bothered if your driver side air bag wasn't working either?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aye, Id still like the drivers side to still work.

I dont mind replacing a steering wheel if it goes off.

Just dont want to replace a dash bourd smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

If the airbag light is on then neither airbag will work - i.e. if you just disconnect the passenger airbag, the driver-side airbag will stop working as well. You need to trick the airbag ECU into believing the passenger airbag is still present to retain driver-side airbag functionality.

Personally i'd opt to completely remove the airbag unit.

We have a friend of the family who'se daughter had her mercedes passenger airbag de-activated, even though deactivated, it still went off when her husband had an accident in the car. Luckily the child was not in the car at the time.