Finally found a GTI with A/C . . .

Cliveski

After a month of looking I have finally managed to find a decent GTI with A/C within my budget.

It's a 2001 (51 reg) in Silver with 28k,

5 speed, CD Player, A/C.

I had to travel from Bristol to Southampton, then on to the Isle of White to get it !!

There is a chance someone on here is familliar with it as there were only 2 (??) GTI's on the Isle of White and this one used to be the demo there, reg is HW51AOO.

I have said all along I was willing to travel far and wide for the right car at the right price but I didn't expect to have to go on a ferry! (luckily it only cost £9 return as a foot passenger and £20.75 to come back with the car).

The seller has had it on Exchange and Mart at £8200 for ages (it's still on there) which is optimistic in anyones book - so I phoned him a while back to see if he was taking offers (and to gently suggest it was overpriced) - it turned out he wasn't prepared to accept much less as he had paid £9200 for it from VW 'just over a year ago' - to cut a long story short over a period of about a week and a half I managed to get him to look in Parkers and come around to my way of thinking and managed to pick it up for £6500.

It's in lovely condition inside and out - the only negatives being the drivers door-mirror casing has a small crack (and the mirror is cracked), and the lower part of the front bumper has a scrape and very small crack too . . . seeing as it's plastic I'm not too concerned, had it been metalwork it would have been a different story. Worse of all is that the Road Tax is due on New Years Eve of all days !!.

Still, I'm chuffed rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Thats the spirit! A man who'll get off his ass to get something. Heard too many people recently on lots of different forums who just simply can't be arsed searching out beyond their front door for a decent car, and then complain when theres lack of choice or they get a substandard one.

Respect Clive! Plus you got a ferry trip out of it, which is always exciting. Can't say I recognise the reg, but it sounds like a decent spec, enjoy!

the drivers door-mirror casing has a small crack

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perfect excuse for a Euro small mirror wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Glad you found one mate.

And I bet the drive home was fantastic!

Drive home was indeed good fun - I left Cowes on the 9.30pm ferry which took 55 minutes so I didn't get back to Bristol until gone midnight - the Xnenon's worked a treat though!

It was 'Cowes Week' on the Isle of Wight too (got the correct spelling this time) so it was a shame I couldn't have stayed longer.

I travelled down to Southampton in my £280 banger and managed to find free parking just a short distance from the ferry . . . it's still down there so I will have to go and pick it up sometime then stick it on ebay!.

I was a tad lucky with the price as the guy I bought off had just had an offer accept on a house so he definitely had to sell it and I had an offer on the table.

That reminds me - I missed out on a 'pottential' bargain Lupo GTI recently . . . I subscribed to BCA (British Car Auction's) 'Auction View' facility where you can see a list of all cars going to auction soon . . . .

One morning one suddenly appeared on the list - to be auctioned that day! it was a silver 2001 Lupo GTI with 42k, reg no. L666UPO . . . I couldn't tell if it had a/c or not but I thought it would be good to take a look as it might go really cheap . . . . the problem was that the car was being auctioned @ 2pm in Manchester which didn't leave me enough time to get up there so I had to pass on it . . . I wander if it will turn up on here one day? Nice reg!

Glad to hear you finally got one! Gd luck with the motor get some pics up in readers rides wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Edited by Ty

good work mate!

i agree, you have gotta be prepared to travel if you are being choosy. i was! and got exactly what i wanted after a 12hr round trip!

newcastle - weston super mare

weston super mare - newcastle

all in a days work! wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

The Dude wanted £8200?!!! blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

I paid like that for mine in 2003 (with same age/20k miles less!).

Good work on getting the price to a sensible one smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Enjoy.

Now, I dont want to see you on this forum for at least a week as you go out & have fun while driving! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Thanks for the kind messages people and much respect to you payna - that was some road-trip to get yours!

Your not wrong, £8200 was very high! his problem was that he paid top whack at VW when he bought it and hadn't expected the car to have lost so much money in just over a year.

I fixed the door mirror today and gave it a vac and wash - I didn't find any nasty suprises when I got intimate with it so I'm well pleased. I will take some photo's tomorrow and get them on 'readers rides'.

Regards the BCA Auction Listing thing - you have to subscribe (it's something like £11 for 2 months and you can make 50 searches). Sadly it doesn't tell you what the cars made.