Centre console trim for GTI

Stu92

Hi all just picked up my new 53 GTI biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Only thing is the leather trim around the gearstick looks wrong. It just grey leather, and not black leather with the red stitching. Going through the vehicle history there is a receipt for work completed on a "fit piece of centre console trim" under warranty. The part number with this is 6N0864291BC81.

So have thye previous replaced the trim with the wrong trim??? confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

Also does anybody know the part number for the correct trim??

Thats exactley what it looks like, leather effect. Doesn't seem to match the rest of the interior angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" />

Going to change to the black with red stitching once I find out the part number.

The part number you've got is for the domed piece of plastic that goes under where the handbrake is, if you see what I mean.

Number 34 in this diagram:

frame.gif border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

For the gearshift gaitor (I presume that's what you mean), the only one listed for the GTI is:

6X0 711 118 AE QUZ gearstick knob (leather) with boot for gearstick lever (leatherette) black/red.

Not sure if that helps or not sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

tw*ts!! the brochure still says it's leather........!!

But the 'leather trim' disclaimer kills me..... 'all parts in direct contact with the driver......others MAY be leatherette...

Never noticed they were different until now, I've driven older GTi's and I suppose I wasn't paying enough attention. Just to rub it in, can any of the older, classier leathered GTi owners post a nice comparison pic.

The part number you've got is for the domed piece of plastic that goes under where the handbrake is, if you see what I mean.

Number 34 in this diagram:

frame.gif border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

For the gearshift gaitor (I presume that's what you mean), the only one listed for the GTI is:

6X0 711 118 AE QUZ gearstick knob (leather) with boot for gearstick lever (leatherette) black/red.

Not sure if that helps or not sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I go into VW will I be able to order the orginal leather gear surround coz I have the same probblem and on my %" plate gti I had the proper one with the red stiching god I miss it like hell the new ones are horrible

Does anyone have (or has had) a leather gaitor on a 6-speed GTI?

My 02 6 speed has the "original style" black leather with red stitching type.

Ok i was bored so i thought id show you the comparison, my ones leather out of my Y plate GTi (excuse the mess gaitor1.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

gaitor2.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

gaitor3.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

My 52 6 speeder also has leather with red stitching.

Now - the handbrake... do later ones have a silver chrome knob and 'leatherette', or has my dealer replaced my old leather one with a black chrome button with the wrong one?

My handbrakes got a black knob (snigger snigger), the same sort of material that is on lines the top of the instrument housing. I think Audi call it 'piano black' trim.

The leather on the handbrake is a bit crappy, so wouldn't be surprised if it was leatherette. So you've got a shiney metal knob john? (jesus, they just keep coming)

Edited to say, despite the knob references, I was asking seriously smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />.

Edited by AndyW

Well yes, the end of my knob fell off!! (more probably the dealer knocked it off / stole it to put on their own car) when it was in for a service. So I had the whole lot replaced.

Instead of leather, I have leatherette with perforations in it, and now a sliver knob.

You can still order the black leather with red stitching. I did it today with snoops part number above (Cheers mate smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> )

Should get it next week from VW, it cost £38 which prodably doesn't include VAT.

Glad you got the right one stu, let us know what you think, with a pic.

So, 6X0 711 118 AE QUZ is the leather with red stitching, whats the part number for the current gaitor, just so theres no confusion?