Why Should I.....

L3E TD

Hi guys, im new here. blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Im a 20yr old young apprentice electrician.

Im currently driving a 106 GTI,i find it rather quick as i have done quite a few mods to it,basically im sick of things going wrong and me constantly paying out to maintain the car and not just drive it.

With me only being an apprentice i dont particulaly earn the most money.

Now im willing to get a bigger loan and buy myself a Lupo GTI.

IM trying to get myself a reliable nippy secy looking car,am i looking at the right replacement!?

I need you GTI owners to tell me the honest good and bad bout these sexy little things...

Thanx. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Dont expect them to be as cheap to repair as the Pug.

Parts are very expencive.

Dealers charge silly prices.

Take a read through the 'Car care' section, to see what problems members have had.

More people dont have problems, than do.

welcome to the club! you have a good car already in the 106 GTi but imo of course im bias but the loop is better! rarity, looks and quality (most the time) being the key points for me! you wont go far wrong with the loop imo wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Welcome to the forum!

They do break down, but not all of them, with any car, some people get duff ones, some get good ones, mostly they can be fixed easily, but again that depends on the dealer you take it too.

Still a great car though, evo say 'like a 106 GTi without the fizz'. If you miss the fizz, stay where you are, if you want something that feels a little better built you'll like the Lupo.

Yeh i had a look at the EVO mag and saw that quote,i really like the rawness of the 106 but i just think a grown up pocket rocket would be better.

Also are the lupo easy to drive slow!?

I get 240 miles to £40 of petrol,will the lupo be better than that?

They've always said in reviews that the Lupo GTi is the closest to being as good as the 106 GTi that any car maker has gotten recently.

The Lupo's just as fast, similar pace in the corners, and is generally more grown up. Its also a good cruiser, and is happy too pootle along at moderate speeds, unlike some cars that need to be driven hard and to the red line to get something from them. The Lupo interior is great, I know its not particularly hardcore to say, but for comfort on long trips the GTi's great too.

I'd buy one, oh, hang on.

Edited by AndyW

I get 240 miles to £40 of petrol,will the lupo be better than that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I get 180 miles out of 320 of fuel out the .0 and that has to be driven really hard.

As Andy says, the low down touque of the GTi meens you dont have to rag the tits of it. I forget how many miles the boss man got out his GTi on his little test?

Well thats what i want,a car that i can just cruise around in, in comfort,in...6th gear biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

230 out of £40! You sure you don't mean £20?? I used to get that much from £23 in my old LupoGTi...

Biggest advantages of the 106GTi over the Lupo...

- Chassis

- Peaky/revvy engine

- cheaper parts/servicing (slightly)

Of course, the Lupo has

- build quality

- rareness

- torquier (sp?) engine lower down

- lovely 6 speed box, which in turn gives...

- excellent in-gear times (willing to bet quicker than a 106GTi)

- bit more 'prestige' about it

Looks are obviously personal, so I'll leave it for you to decide. But I think if your after a racey, revvey motor and driving enjoyment is number 1 on your priority, then stick with the 106GTi

However if you want a cracking all rounder, that can be great to drive while cruising happily down the motorway and pootling around town, the LupoGTi is a much better bet.

Actually, here's what Chee (EVO designer) had to say at the end of his long-term test in the LupoGTI...

So my Lupo GTI couldn't match Bovingdon's 172 in terms of driving thrills. I didn't expect it to. But like most VAG products, where it really shone was in its ownership appeal – desirability, peerless build quality, that last-forever feeling and attention to detail. Everything works as it was designed to. With a classy interior that puts a lot of more expensive cars to shame, and those fat wheels under its solid stance, the Lupo GTI looks so cool and chic it could almost be sold alongside Prada in Harvey Nics.

After eight months and 12,321 miles the novelty of running the baby hot hatch didn't waver at all. The styling, 'cuddly with claws' (© David Vivian, evo 34), always brought a smile to my face and the interior never failed to impress either.

The Lupo wasn't just about good looks, however. It's also blessed with an effortless gearchange, a torquey 125bhp engine, Xenon headlights (which are the best I've ever encountered on any car) and a lightweight body with aluminum doors, bonnet and front wings. All of which adds up to a car that can be punted along efficiently with little effort.

The low mass meant it could also be thrown around like a toy with little concern for the suspension getting baggy in its old age. With light steering which weights up a little once turned in, the GTI just goes where you point it, with plenty of comedy body-roll, which adds to the fun though it makes you wish the seats were a little more supportive. These antics soon smoothed off the shoulders of the front Dunlops, although the rears still looked brand new. In fact we just escaped replacing the fronts, which was a relief because a pair of chunky little 205/45 VR15s costs a not insubstantial £260.

That's pricey, and I speak as someone who tackled the options list with a money-no-object attitude, specifying heated leather seats, CD player, side airbags, metallic paint and air-con, adding £2780 to the basic price. Unfortunately you don't recoup even a fraction of that at trade-in time (see depreciation figure).

The Lupo also had a taste for expensive super- unleaded, which made it run smoother and go as rapidly as most people would want in a car of this size. And the benefits of using the higher octane fuel still seemed to be felt, even using normal unleaded every other titchy tankful.

Ah, that minuscule tank. One reader phoned to let off some steam, complaining that he'd only been getting 180 miles to the fill-up, though if I was a really good boy I could eke it out to 260 miles. Then one day, after once again putting almost 33 litres of fuel into the 34-litre tank, it dawned on me it was silly to run it so low. What if I ran out, miles from a petrol station, on a cold wet night? After that I was happy to get 230 miles from a tank which, more often than not, seemed to get me just a little short of my final destination. That was a shame because the Lupo was a comfortable place to be and it was the small tank that dictated when you needed to stop rather than the 'numb-bum' syndrome. In fact the seats, covered in that optional leather, were always very comfortable.

The little Lupo also impressed with its ability to do a convincing impersonation of a bigger car. Refinement was a league above most cars of its size and it felt glued to the road on blustery days. This was proven on a trip to France and after a hard blat on Aston Martin's test track (or, as it's more commonly known, the dual carriageway just outside Newport Pagnall).

As a driver with merely mortal abilities compared with some members of the evo team, I admired the chuckable little VW's subtle adjustability without the bite. It will loosen its tail a little when you're trail braking, and while it's not as light on its toes as, say, a 106 GTI, at least it won't spit you off backwards if you've overcooked things or need to drop anchor mid-bend.

I'm sure its unflappable nature saved me from a severe bollocking from MD Metcalfe after I barrelled into a dry downhill bend and hit a line of slimy water running down from a nearby tree. Terminal understeer was taking me towards a ditch at a rate that was going to hurt, so I braked sharply and the front tyres bit into dryer tarmac. Eyes wide and buttocks munching leather, understeer turned to oversteer, I managed a whiff of opposite lock and a stab at the throttle to bring it all back into shape, keeping me in Harry's good books. Eat your heart out, Barker and Meaden.

The head-turning Lupo wasn't perfect of course. Aside from the tiddly tank, the lack of a glovebox was a bit of a niggle, as the car was often parked in a not-so-pleasant London side-street at the weekend, which meant any valuables had to be removed. I could have put them in the tiny boot, but when I did I always forgot to take them out again before setting off, and you know how annoying it is to have stuff rolling and sliding about. Most of the time I didn't even carry CDs for the single-slot player.

Glovebox and fuel tank issues apart, the ownership experience was hassle-free, with exceptional dealer service from Autohaus Volkswagen in Northampton. They even called a week after the service to check that everything was okay, that the work had been carried to my satisfaction, and to ask if there was anything they could have done to improve their service! If only all car dealers were as good.

The Lupo GTI is one of those cars that does everything well without shining in one particular area. Really it's hard to level any serious criticism at it. Sure, the boot can only take a large sports bag and rucksack, but it is a short car and there's still more room in the back than in a Mini. Great aftersales service was the icing on the cake for the little car that wormed its way into our affections with its good looks, premium car feel and back-to-basics hot hatch appeal. It fully deserved the 'new Golf GTI' tag. It'll be sorely missed.

Welcome to the forum!

They do break down, but not all of them, with any car, some people get duff ones, some get good ones, mostly they can be fixed easily, but again that depends on the dealer you take it too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be honest, they really don't...

I had my fair share of niggles with the GTI, but it never once let me down. It's extremely rare for people to have to get the car recovered because it just doesn't work. Sure, it has niggly things that go wrong, but it very rarely won't manage to get you from A to B...

2 years ownership (car is 4 years old in October):

Breakdowns = 0

Niggles - a few including knacked cat but fixed under warranty. Nothing major gone wrong since the warranty ran out last Sept.

My View - I love it and I'm sure you will too. Never driven a 106 GTI but have heard nothing but praise about them so it'll be interesting to hear you opinion if you do drive a Loop GTI.

Have to agree it has its niggles as mine are well documented!... but I love the car to bits its just amazing! great write up there as well I think I'll be heading to Northampton to have my loop fixed next time!!

Ive always fancied a 106 GTi, but like you i thought the lupo was that bit more exclusive, you get the 6 speed box, flared arches, centre exit, xenons the list goes on mate. why dont you take a test drive and see what you think? as for car problems, ive only had one niggle (touch wood!) which was a knackered sensor in the exhaust, this was sorted and 9k later everything is fine!

but it never once let me down. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Ive always wanted to correct you!

I think you'll find thats a falsey wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Im sure John would disagree also...

To be honest, they really don't...

I had my fair share of niggles with the GTI, but it never once let me down.  It's extremely rare for people to have to get the car recovered because it just doesn't work.  Sure, it has niggly things that go wrong, but it very rarely won't manage to get you from A to B...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I said break down, what I really meant was niggles, but I wanted to use the word break to illustrate to our very welcome new poster that he'd used the wrong break when he wrote brake. I was just to polite to say so. ******, too late smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

yes a car which doesnt brake wouldnt be a very good car at all....

welcome to the club. its got more kudos than a 106 and more grown up, plus they are getting more and more good write ups and now they are out of production they are not far off a classic already!

came from a 106 gti to a lupo gti myself, both great little cars but 106 kept letting me down with imobiliser problems so it had to go. Lupo is a bit slower off the line and can't power through the corners like the 106 but it's just as quick once your moving and a bit quicker at higher speeds (with the six speed box anyway). Not as frantic and doesn't handle as well though i'm sure the guys will tell you how to sort that with some coilovers. It's liek a better built more reliable 106 with more kit and more room (for the driver anyway) but just not quite as exciting.

More people dont have problems, than do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

TWN is an exseption, his car is cursed! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

yeah test drive one, dress smart and go buy ur self, act very very intrested should be fine. Tho u have to stick to there selected test route!

Tho u have to stick to there selected test route!

Never, ever, ever stick to the test route, it'll always be crap unless the salesman is a true petrol head, and mostly they'll just take you to a stretch of DC so you can 'put your foot down', which of course will show you precisely frack all. Just go where you like if you know the area and theres somewhere decent nearby.

It was only once where I test drove a car in Stratford that I said, 'You tell me where to go, as I don't know where I am!' Oh, and when I test drove a Cooper S on the Birmingham new road and there was nowhere within acceptable distance for a decent blat.

dress smart and go buy ur self

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> I wish somebody would buy me!