Clutch change - multiple issues

Hi all

Just changed out the clutch on the LUPO (1.0, 2000) - Cable variant.

Firstly Throw-out bearing lever still has a lot of travel before it's touching the fins on the pressure plate.

As a consequence or some other issue with the cable tighened down such that lever is just touching still not getting any gear engagement - the clutch pedal is too loose for my liking and not feeling like the cable/lever is actuating the pressure plate. The spring in the cable is completely closed up it's so tight.

Note - I have repaired the pedal box so the bracket is back in place and not the issue for now.

Feels like I've done something stupid but without taking it all apart again (pain in the doo dah).

I did think the gear selector cable refitment, but that was only really the one cable and that went back in the centre of the bracket ?! And that doesn't resolve the loose cabeling

Any suggestions as to what to check to rule out the obvious?

Edited by BlobbyBrown

Yeah, I know what I think has happened because I once did the same...

If the release bearing gearbox internals are the same as mine, you can slide out the shaft that engages with the release forks. But you can slide it back in, in a different position. So the bit that engages with the cable will be in the wrong place to get maximum leverage. I think that makes sense?

The way it's supposed to be- is when the release bearing is just resting on the pressure plate springs (fins), the lever that the cable hooks onto should be just below centre. So at half clutch, the lever is at 90 degrees to the cable- and at full clutch just above centre. So easy to show, but difficult to explain! If that's ok, then it'll be either the cable (wrong) or the pedal end.

My first thought was pedal box, but you say that's ok.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, mk2 said:

Yeah, I know what I think has happened because I once did the same...

If the release bearing gearbox internals are the same as mine, you can slide out the shaft that engages with the release forks. But you can slide it back in, in a different position. So the bit that engages with the cable will be in the wrong place to get maximum leverage. I think that makes sense?

The way it's supposed to be- is when the release bearing is just resting on the pressure plate springs (fins), the lever that the cable hooks onto should be just below centre. So at half clutch, the lever is at 90 degrees to the cable- and at full clutch just above centre. So easy to show, but difficult to explain! If that's ok, then it'll be either the cable (wrong) or the pedal end.

My first thought was pedal box, but you say that's ok.

Thanks, yes the bearing resting on the fins position is when the lever is 90 degrees to the cable, but the lever travel to get there is more than I was expecting (more than 50% of the total allowable travel distance). Adjusting the cable such that it's resting position is there means the cable adjustment nut almost down at the base of the thread.

I didn't release any pin in the mechanism when I had the gearbox off, so nothing was put back any differently. I was making sure everything worked and was free and smooth when I fitted the new thrust bearing. I couldn't see any way of adjusting this mechanism such that the lever was further away than the 90 degree position at the fin resting position.

Edited by BlobbyBrown

1 hour ago, ObjectiveAway said:

Did you reset clutch cable? Like this. You dont need that white strap to do it.

That's a different cable than the simple type that I've got. I've just got a cable through a sheath with a spring damper on the end which is where the adjustment is.

3 hours ago, BlobbyBrown said:

That's a different cable than the simple type that I've got. I've just got a cable through a sheath with a spring damper on the end which is where the adjustment is.

Sounds like your clutch cable has been changed and thats it. My Lupo has cable exactly as in first picture.
image.png.e88a2d638ac86a9d5cea5dfe16d4c7f5.png

24 minutes ago, ObjectiveAway said:

Sounds like your clutch cable has been changed and thats it. My Lupo has cable exactly as in first picture.
image.png.e88a2d638ac86a9d5cea5dfe16d4c7f5.png

Yes, second one in that picture, and fits into the plastic brack/holder on the firewall. Looks pretty original to me. Interestingly the orientation is reverse i.e. the cable comes through the back and hooks onto the lever as opposed to that picture which says it come through the lever and hooks onto the bracket at the back.

1713285130921.jpg