Acceleration problems

Blayne

Hi, the other week my back box snapped off. This happened about a week ago. But yesterday when I was out the bottom of my car hit a couple speed bumps, later on the engine started being really loud when trying to accelerate and the acceleration is really bad. Struggles to get to speed. I have a Lupo sdi 1.7 if that's helps. 

Could be the EGR is stuk open if you're showing no power. Both my SDIs have "more than adequate power" (like RR used to describe their engine power specs!)

Is the exhaust smokey?

If you run the SDI with no exhaust you get lots of noise and the peak torque moves from about 2200 to about 3000 rpm. Also about another 6HP we measured on the dyno.

To get good power from any diesel, you need to help it breathe. Clean air filter and everything on the exhaust clear (like sausage said). Only other thing could be blocked fuel filter or water in the fuel filter. There's a little water drain point at the bottom of the fuel filter for exactly that purpose.

Edited by mk2
  • Like 1

It could be that vdub designed the SDI to rely on high exhaust back pressure to give better torque across the band like a lot of american engines. Chances are that you have a sharply defined torque peak at about 2500 revs. Try keeping the revs around there and see how it goes- Noisy yes, but it might be more responsive around those revs. High back pressure flattens the torque curve making the car easier to drive....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mk2 said:

It could be that vdub designed the SDI to rely on high exhaust back pressure to give better torque across the band like a lot of american engines. Chances are that you have a sharply defined torque peak at about 2500 revs. Try keeping the revs around there and see how it goes- Noisy yes, but it might be more responsive around those revs. High back pressure flattens the torque curve making the car easier to drive....

I can tell you for a fact this is false.

9 hours ago, Skezza said:

I can tell you for a fact this is false.

Tell us more... :) skezza, what experiments have you done? I've not messed with the SDI exhaust so I don't know- just a wild guess. With many american cars, they rely on highish back pressure to lower the torque curve. In fact the cam profiles rely on it! They sacrifice power for torque. Makes their cars gutless (compared with euro engines) with lots of revs but a lot more relaxed to drive.

What effect has a decat on the SDI?