TDI: Occasional Hot Starting Problems

Ok so it looks like my cable has arrived. 

Im thinking about just buying the lite version as the car is off the road and I really need to get this sorted asap. 

Having never used the software before, is it just a case of doing a scan and seeing what pops up or do I have to delve a little deeper. 

What should I be doing, checking or looking for?

Edited by wehey

Assuming you have the cable working with the ports / drivers then you'll want the 01 engine module under "select module", then scan for DTCs to show codes. make a note or copy paste them.

I had to run it as administrator from the hard drive to stop mine losing the lead all the time.

Dont play around with it though as stuff on the right under advanced functions that need some understanding to use. Hence the ones marked "safe" on the left.

open-screen.png

Thanks Sausage ?

Ok, so I have managed to get the free version running and did a basic scan, which came up with this.

Cam pos sensor!!!! Which would explain some of the problems I have.

as far as my understanding goes, the ECU looks for a cam signal before starting and if it's not available then it looks for the crank sensor signal, which takes longer.

It also says that the signal is intermittent. If the ECU lost the signal whilst driving would it cut the engine out?

So I guess I just order a new one and fingers crossed I'm sorted.

do I go for a genuine VW part or will a cheaper pattern part do as well?

image.jpeg

image.png

Edited by wehey

Camshaft position sensor shouldn't result in no start imo. Should result in rough running though so it's very possible that's your issue.

Buy a new one from ECP and feel good when you fix your own car :D

It's never not started. Just takes a while ?

Just called around and SEAT want £101 and ECP £27 so a bit of a no brainier really and worth a punt. 

I'm going to check out the fuse also. 

Anyone know which one/where to find it?

It could be a wiring issue, but by the time you've dived in there and checked it you'll probably wish you had a new sensor to put in anyway. :lol:

I was expecting this one tbh..... http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16705/P0321/000801

Edited by Sausage

The sensors do go to be fair. Recently helped a mate replace one on his Polo and I was convinced it was the wiring. Replaced the sensor, been fine ever since.

So I fitted the sensor today, which was a nice easy job, cleared the fault code and went for a drive ?

I did about 5-6 stop/switch off/start cycles which were all successful.

came home and checked for faults and none to be found.

so I am pretty sure this ones been cracked ?

Thanks for all the help guys. The lesson I learned here was not to trust the generic, hand held fault code readers. They may work on the majority of cars but it failed to pick up the fault on mine

Edited by wehey

18 hours ago, Sausage said:

Nice one. It's all pretty much just best guesses without the vcds, I'd be miffed too if another scanner didnt pick up this sort of fault fault code.

Yeah it was strange as it picked up codes on a Fiesta and a Daewoo.

it actually found,identified and scanned the ECU but failed to find any faults

Edited by wehey

Just a guess, but it probably goes in cycles, so if you had been unable to start it (because of the fault) for long enough it would trigger the eml, that fact that you did start it would then basically clear the log of it after a certain time or distance without it recurring. Rinse and repeat.

To be fair, the EML should have light up. It certainly did on my mates.

Do you actually have an EML? When you start the car does it light up then go out? Lots of Lupo's don't have an EML light ;)

3 hours ago, Skezza said:

To be fair, the EML should have light up. It certainly did on my mates.

Do you actually have an EML? When you start the car does it light up then go out? Lots of Lupo's don't have an EML light ;)

ha ha.....I just checked and your right, I don't have one lol 

25 minutes ago, wehey said:

ha ha.....I just checked and your right, I don't have one lol 

Yeah, it's very strange. I think most post 2002 Lupo's have them, but basically many Lupo's weren't sold with the EML module installed, so to find out about codes, you must have a scanner. I did read somewhere that if you don't have an EML, it lights up the EPC light, but that's never been the case for me.

57 minutes ago, Sausage said:

EML light on the diesels is flashing glow plug light isnt it?

No, a flashing glow plug is a failed glow plug. Simply put, most Lupo's don't have EML's. They started fitting the module sometime after 2001/2002 but when I pressed VW for an answer, they couldn't say. They told me that almost all Lupo's 1999 era (i.e. mine) will have no EML. 

As I said, I've heard some people claim that the EPC has also been doubled up to be an EML light, but that's simply not the case for me. My 1.0E which was W reg has no EML and even when faults were logged, nothing light up. My current 1.7 SDI, a V reg, has no EML and doesn't light up anything else either. Put simply, neither will tell you when there's an engine fault. More of a reason to have your own scanner ;)

On 09/02/2016 at 7:55 PM, Sausage said:

Well my tdi user manual says if it's flashing while driving it is a warning light for the diesel management system and to get it checked asap.

when mine flashed it read in fault codes,brake pedal switch implausable signal

which turned out to be the brake lights had blown due to brake pedal switch failing