2nd hand Lupo GTi's

FunkyMunky

As you might already know, i'm thinking about upgrading my car to a Lupo GTi later in the summer.

Due to my budget, i'll only be able to spend £7500 (possibly a little bit more if i find the perfect car). That means i'll be looking at 2001 model, maybe a 2002 if they come into my budget within the next few months.

I've been speaking to my Dad and he's been trying the persuade me (he's very good at doing this) that trading my Fiesta in for an older car is a bad idea, as he says it's more likely that an older car will develop a fault.

However, I REALLY would love a GTi, so i'd like to ask if 2001/2002 model cars have known problems, or whether their reliability is not too good.

20 mins ago, before i spoke to my Dad i was 100% sure that i should buy a GTi in August, now i'm having a few doubts (thanks to my damn Dad) and I need you guys to tell me it'll all be good and I should go ahead and get one! (Only if it will be worth while as I don't want to spend loads on repairing the car)!

Cheers guys and gals

DanGTi is probably the only person on the forum that'll talk you OUT of buying a GTi in favor of a Fiesta, but you'll not get such advice from me.

The arguement that you shouldn't change one car for another because its older is a bit lame, you could well buy a brand new Merc and get more problems than from a 20 year old Golf, or vice versa. Depends on the car.

My advice, change, you won't regret it once you've done it, but just cover yourself from future problems by either finding someone who know's what to spot on used cars, or get the AA or other such company to inspect it beforehand. Or, buy from somewhere where you get a warranty.

Thanks man, I just need to persuade my dad, he's got it in his head that old cars aren't reliable etc etc.

Also, one thing that I forgot to put in the first post, how well to Lupo's fair to high miles?

Autotrader has GTi's in my price range with about 40-50k miles on them, will they still be OK at this mileage? How many miles do people consider to be too many on them?

Thanks man, I just need to persuade my dad, he's got it in his head that old cars aren't reliable etc etc.

Also, one thing that I forgot to put in the first post, how well to Lupo's fair to high miles?

Autotrader has GTi's in my price range with about 40-50k miles on them, will they still be OK at this mileage? How many miles do people consider to be too many on them?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You should get one with far less milage than that for the money!

Mine's a late '51 plate, 28k miles, dont think I'd get that much for it!

Dealers will have a fair mark-up tho.

I went from an 03 plate Clio to a 51 Lupo GTi.

Many people thought i was mad at the time as the Clio was only 9 months old. Ill admit, my Loop did have a few problems, they were all covered under the warranty that was remaining though.

I paid 6500 for my GTI 2 years ago with 39,000 on the clock.... its a November 2000.

You should easily get a nice 2002/2003 car for that money!

As for reliability - I think your dad has a point. I bought my car to be more reliable than my 10 year old Golf with 160,000 miles on it. The GTI wont be trouble free I am sure, but will depreciate far less than a Fiesta and reward you far more when you get behind the wheel.

I don't mind a few problems in reward for an amazing drive, I suppose it all depends on if I get a good car so it'll be worth investigating it thoroughly before I purchase!

Autotrader has a couple of 20-30k mile cars on it but they are between £7500 and £8000, but hopefully by August those mileage cars will drop further into my budget!

Any other websites/places worth keeping an eye on to find a Lupo, other than Autotrader ofcourse! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

My GTi is only 7 months old and has a few little problems squeeks and things but as uve said once u drive her u just dont care!! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> (but i will be having her fixed under warranty lol)

Autotrader has a couple of 20-30k mile cars on it but they are between £7500 and £8000, but hopefully by August those mileage cars will drop further into my budget!

Any other websites/places worth keeping an eye on to find a Lupo, other than Autotrader ofcourse!  smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got my lupo when it was 18 months old, 8000 miles for £8800 from a garage.

Ok, was 2 years ago, but hey.

i got mine almost a year ago from a dealers. 9500 i paid for it on 02 plate.

it has had a few little problems but was all sorted under warranty. go for it mate!!

Yeah exactly! As long as I do my homework about what to check out on a Lupo and get Mr AA man to look over one too AND I sort out a warranty... then i'll be laughing all the way home laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Check the for sale section out.

Mine is up for £7500ono

Full VWSH etc

51 reg with 39000

wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Compare that to the Y reg cars up on autotrader for the same & more money!

Now that shameless plugging is out of the way back to the topic. All parts have some kind of mean time to failure however if you service your car regularly you will have a much better chance of having a trouble free motoring.

its not like a 2002/03 car is actually old!!

I was laughing at that thought myself, even the original lupo's are from '99 onwards, not what I'd describe as an 'old' car myself.

I got my GTi last november, it's an 01 Y and at the time had 36k. It's also spec'd with leather and aircon and i paid about 8250 for mine. So by now you should be able to pick up a pretty decent deal for between 7 and 8k.

DanGTi is probably the only person on the forum that'll talk you OUT of buying a GTi in favor of a Fiesta, but you'll not get such advice from me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

are u f*cking taking the piss? me recommend a fiesta over a loop GTI? just cos mines been broken the past month doesnt mean ive lost the plot.

just cos mines been broken the past month doesnt mean ive lost the plot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />