My 1.4 Sport has turned into a diesel!

It sounds really rough on start up and then quietens down to more of a grumble when it's warmed up. It appears to be coming from inside the timing belt cover. I took the cover off and sprayed a bit of WD40 down the back of the pulley (as it sounded like it was coming from the bearing?) and that stopped it for a while, but it's gradually come back. Has anyone had anything similar or care to have a guess at what it is?

tappets usually make a louder noise if they don't have as much oil, especially at start up. Just suggesting it might need a little top up and the noise might go away. It is quite normal for them to sound slightly tdi on start up though.

Most new VAG engines make a rattly diesel like noise on startup for 1-2 seconds... but it certainly doesnt carry on until they've warmed up.

If it's still noisy after the initial turnover & especially if it's still noticable when warmed up, I'd go get it checked out at the garage. (Not VW).

Edited by zippy

Get it checked out ASAP as it sounds a bit like what happened to my (out of warranty) 'sport' with only 28k on the clock . . . . it may be that one of the rollers the timing belt runs on has started to break up . . . .

If so (and the VW garage told me it wasn't that unusual on the 1.4 models) it's a costly repair job (cost me @£360 at VW) as they have to drop/lift the engine and you then end up having all the rollers replaced, the timing belt replaced and the tensioner replaced too!

If it is the above the car is unsafe to drive (although I drove mine to the garage as I didn't know how serious it was) as if the belt snaps your engine will go bang!