alternator mounting bolt question - rusty problems...

ogz

Hi Folks

Having problems with replacing my alternator, bolts were rusted solid and ended up snapping the lower/front one and having to cut off with the air saw. Problem is, that was a couple of months ago and I've just gone back to it to see that I still have a bit of bolt stuck in the mounting, with a snapped end and a cut off end . The thing is I can't work out if there is a female thread in the mounting which the snapped bit of bolt is rusted into, or if its just stuck in and corroded. Given how stuck it is I reckon there is a thread, but the bit on the alternator housing itself also has a female thread obviously, so it doesn't quite make sense that there is one on the mounting.

Thing is if its threaded then I and stuffed because there's barely enough bolt showing to get hold of and I'm going to have to drill it, which might be just about doable but is a horrible job. If its not threaded then I feel more comfortable with giving it a thump but don't want to hit it too hard for fear of cracking the mounting

I cobbled a wee picture so you can see what I mean. Anybody any idea?

alternator.gif

Edited by ogz

Not having had any problems with that bolt, i would guess that it's not threaded..... I would try and warm it a bit and see if you could knock it out. Also may be worth using wd40 or something on it. Let us know how you get on.

If you're struggling/chopping/****ing up changing an alternator you should probably just pay a garage from now on, possibly one of the easiest jobs on a car.

What do you rekon is the hardest job on a Lupo Rich? Having just messed about with the central locking wiring >behind< the fuse box, me thinks that changing the SDI throttle pot is probably up there as one of the worst possible. I'd guess almost everything has to come out. Haven't tried it, but God it looks difficult. Then perhaps there's the heater matrix? Syncro no2 inside the gearbox? Rooflining?

What do you rekon is the hardest job on a Lupo Rich? Having just messed about with the central locking wiring >behind< the fuse box, me thinks that changing the SDI throttle pot is probably up there as one of the worst possible. I'd guess almost everything has to come out. Haven't tried it, but God it looks difficult. Then perhaps there's the heater matrix? Syncro no2 inside the gearbox? Rooflining?

Heater matrix don't tend to go on loops but considering the size of the job, you'd be better off buying a new SDI and breaking the old one. Huge job. Although I'd perhaps try radweld before properly giving up.

• 4 weeks later...

thanks for the replies, just back to this after some weeks on other stuff

Am currently soaking it in diesel as some folk suggest this is as good as any penetrating oil, after that will hunt out some plus gas or summit.

Thanks for the useful reply rich, i don't find changing an alternator difficult. I had a specific question which is whether the section in the drawing is threaded or not.

I anybody else knows the answer to this question i'm still wandering!

Ended up finally taking whole bracket and water pump off and putting it in the vice and knocking it out with a drift. Was totally solid, and yes not threaded as I expected, just couldn't get enough room under the car to whack it and had no way of supporting it to take the stress off the bracket. Was just the usual white powder and rust 'glueing' it in.