What is a fillister head bolt? fuel filter clamp on SDI...

mk2

My SDI is missing a bolt... The car came without the bolt that secures the diesel fuel filter into its clamp ring. ETKA describes it as a M6 x 30 Fillister head bolt. But there are about 20 types. I'd really like to get mine to be original if poss.

If anyone has a SDI, any chance you could have a really quick look for me what sort of bolt is used to clamp the fuel filter? Is it pozi, philips, flat blade, hex cap or maybe even torx? Stainless, zinc plated or black steel?

I'm trying to get this car to be as close to the way it was when it left the factory, so all the 'anal' details really matter... thanks :)

Ok, firstly, I'll be totally honest, secondly I'll be very nice.

Firstly you've surely noticed that the filter really doesn't need the screw? The clamp is very tight round the filter. I know you're desperate to get it OEM just not sure if you're going a tad far.

Secondly, it's a long Phillips head.

Thirdly, enjoy the screwing in, it'll take you a long time mate. It's an awkward ****er to screw in and unscrew. Someone desperately needed a Phillips head lol.

it's a long Phillips head.

thanks Skezza. Already purchased! :) thanks so much for the info

I had the car up on the hoist after work to drench the underside and all the channels with waxoil. what a messy job. Then I noticed a very obvious absence of a cross brace between the two sides of the car, across the tunnel. looked on ETKA and sure enough it's either fallen off or someone could't be bothered to put it back on after changing the exhaust. So now I'm looking for that bit too.

And while I'm being a bit mad... I'm trying to figure out how the two trays in the spare wheel well fit. there's a big tray and a smaller tray, with the jack and tools in it. I think the smaller tray fits inside the spare wheel and the larger just sits over the top???? the spare is brand new, never ever used...! There's also an elastic band thingy with 3 hooks. The golf version comes with two bands with two hooks. So this has got me flummoxed too.

Next job is to polish the headlamps- they have gone matt/frosty on the outside.

I was doing the exhaust on the gti earlier (yay, beam off) and I remembered to replace all the braces underneath.

Really isn't a difficult one, same on a 6n2 Polo if you want to find one.

I was doing the exhaust on the gti earlier (yay, beam off) and I remembered to replace all the braces underneath.

Really isn't a difficult one, same on a 6n2 Polo if you want to find one.

Thanks Rich for the info, that it's the same as a polo brace :) i'll make some calls and see who is breaking... I'll vote for you!

thanks Skezza. Already purchased! :) thanks so much for the infoI had the car up on the hoist after work to drench the underside and all the channels with waxoil. what a messy job. Then I noticed a very obvious absence of a cross brace between the two sides of the car, across the tunnel. looked on ETKA and sure enough it's either fallen off or someone could't be bothered to put it back on after changing the exhaust. So now I'm looking for that bit too.And while I'm being a bit mad... I'm trying to figure out how the two trays in the spare wheel well fit. there's a big tray and a smaller tray, with the jack and tools in it. I think the smaller tray fits inside the spare wheel and the larger just sits over the top???? the spare is brand new, never ever used...! There's also an elastic band thingy with 3 hooks. The golf version comes with two bands with two hooks. So this has got me flummoxed too.Next job is to polish the headlamps- they have gone matt/frosty on the outside.

Small tray in wheel, big tray above elastic band hooks in a V shape.

Will take you photos tomorrow.

Thats great. thanks Skezza. :thumbsup:

Rich, here's a pic of what I'm trying to do. I have a feeling that this exhaust is not the right one which is why the brace was left off... The hanger 'peg' looks like it's in the wrong place and pointing the wrong way?

sg1fd0.jpg

I've found this thing on ebay- not sure it's right though. It even includes the rubber bit....

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221577551175

Here are the pieces, but I don't know how they go together.... The jack holder is below it, and fits nicely.2w4bqrm.jpg

I wonder what that big square recess is for? loads'a'space in there.

Thanks for the info Rich. I'll let you know how I get on once the parts arrive.

Here are the pieces, but I don't know how they go together.... The jack holder is below it, and fits nicely.2w4bqrm.jpg

I wonder what that big square recess is for? loads'a'space in there.

Thanks for the info Rich. I'll let you know how I get on once the parts arrive.

two tins of tire weld.

two tins of tire weld.

Ah, ok. So they use use the same plastic thing for the space saver spare in the gti. Gotcha.

Do the straps go in like I positioned- with the hooks in the top left and right, and then one up against the rear panel? Or the other way round- one at the top and two either side at the lower edge? Either way the tray is still loose and rattles when you drive.... So I must be missing something.

Mk2 I'll take a photo of mine at lunch if work isn't too mental. I'm going to our Lupo's true home in a few days with work doing some on site work so as you can imagine I'm preparing for all that. Wrong time of year imo.

Btw, I apparently go past a VW shop on the way to work when I'm there. I might pop in, I wonder if parts are cheaper?