Static+

Vwlup0

I have a little fear of air though, my friend used to run air; and his NSF bag split dropping his car at the front destroying 1) the arch 2) the tyre and 3) the lip of the wheel.

The static+ sort of gives you, in my eyes, a lot of a safer option due to the coilover being there..

Probably another crazy weird thought of mine.

I hear you say 'what a bell end'

BUT!

I'm fortunate enough to run into some money, so the 1.4tdi idea is being replaced with a gti that I'm picking up in 2 weeks.

I now go onto the next subject, air or hydro?:P

Again, I take onboard all and I respect your opinions, thanks for the advice in advance!

If you buy hydros you will regret it. I promise. It's the harshest ride ever and it will destroy the car.

It your mates bag split, either he runs too low and the wheels catch on the bag or its a cheap kit. You get what you pay for the same as anything. £999 air kits from Poland are **** so don't expect much. Contact Andy at low standard designs. He's the man.

Ignore scotty. He's an air Virgin but when he experiences the power or compression he will love it and become addicted.

And good news on the gti front :) one of the best cars iv ever owned for what it was.

Hydraulics arent as bad as what people always think, id compare mine to both sets of coilovers ive had (fk's and jom's) but i will agree the higher up you go the rougher it gets! Its worth seeing if you can get a ride in a car with both so you can get an idea of what they feel like, I personally went for hydro's because I cant be bothered to wait for the air tank to fill up, its just instant, but again its a personal choice

Iv driven and been in both hydro'd lupos and air'd lupos. Without being biased because I had air... It is better.

You don't have to "wait" for the tank to full up as it holds it air above a certain pressure due to sensors. So it's always got enough in to lift the car. It just tops itself back up when it gets to a certain point.

Yeah i know what you mean, i agree air is probably a hell of a lot of a nicer ride, and i know what you mean about the tank holding pressure, but if you wanted to play about and go up and down say 10 times or whatever you'd eventually run out, whereas with hydro's you'll never have to worry (as long as the battery's charged) both have their plus points, just depends what you want as your outcome i suppose!

Yeah I agree with that. It can run out if your playing but there are ways around it, ie 2 compressors instead of 1 and a bigger tank.

How often do you have to charge batteries on hydros? Someone told me once a day which I thought was a fair bit

Nah not unless you're mega mega switch happy or have crap batteries! Mine dropped 2 volts over a week and i've raised and dropped it over 100 times in that week to show people, id probably say i could get 3 or 4 weeks out of one charge, but people say its a pain charging it but every week or two park up at night, plug it in and youre full by the morning, simples!

Can you not have a split charging system off your alternator for hydros? If I had the choice I would go for hydros only because of compressors being so damn noisy haha and also hydros are so much quicker... Unless you run bigger air lines on air but most are 6mm or 8mm fittings on the bags so your limited? Correct me if I'm wrong. Having said that I've never been in a car with hydros or a car with modern air ride only old 2 way and that was horrific in the bends ... And good news your getting a gti awesome cars still in love with mine even after buying a corrado vr6 aswel :)

My compressor wasnt too bad really... Plus if you do a boot build you can do enough to soften the sound with carpet etc

When people hide their compressors do they not overheat?

Edited by JoeA

I suppose you could cause issues if you weren't careful but if you carpet the whole boot area and do a neat install it takes away some of the sound

I need no permission. I wouldn't want air unless it's for cooling.Now get back to your poaper round and pot washing sprog.

Only if you get back to switching things off and on agin :)