Thinking of buying a PS3

sam bignell

I haven't owned a games console for the past 3-4 years now and I'm quite interested in the PS3. Although I'm confused which size to get, is the 250gb necessary? how much memory does a game use up?

Or is there another advantage to the 250gb over the other two consoles?

Anything else I should bear in mind? Or any good deals people know of?

Thanks

Sam

Edited by sam bignell

If your only going to be using it for gaming then 250gb is faaaaaaaaaar to much. You'll probably only ever use about 20gb max on saving games.. i think :blink:

The extra memory is for story music and stuff.

Edit: storing, not story!

Edited by marcusgrant

If your only going to be using it for gaming then 250gb is faaaaaaaaaar to much. You'll probably only ever use about 20gb max on saving games.. i think blink.gif

The extra memory is for story music and stuff.

Edit: storing, not story!

I see know. Is there anything else I should be aware of when purchasing one?

Anything I should look into buying along with the console?

I agree to some extent but its proven that they dont make a massive difference.

As long as its not a cheap £2.99 asda one then it will be fine for a PS3.

I have a couple of QED reference cables over £100 Each running from a £1500 reference blu-ray player to a 5k reference 60" plasma and you cannot see a difference between them and a mid range cable.

Its digital so the cable quality is not as important these days.

IMHO btw, Not trying to pick a fight...

...I got mine a couple of months ago on here, brand new 120GB with 1 game for a bargain price. If it hadn't come up I was looking at pre-owned as there are some pretty good bargains with 3 months warranty.

Sure there was one in the for sale area a short while back...

Used 40gb £150...

New 120gb £200...

Here's another, but no price, so it was locked.

I have a couple of QED reference cables over £100 Each running from a £1500 reference blu-ray player to a 5k reference 60" plasma and you cannot see a difference between them and a mid range cable.

What is it with you and your pathetic one-up-manship? :coffee: I've said this before. Stop showing off.

What is it with you and your pathetic one-up-manship? :coffee: I've said this before. Stop showing off.

He's just admitting that he paid a shed load of money for something that made no difference. Good advice I say!

Thankyou silver, I was just giving advice so that he doesn't go and blow £50 on a cable that's not needed.

A only stated what I had used becuase I know you would have turned this into a "what do you know" question.

Oh and daddy is not rich, he gets by because he has dedicated 20 years to running his own business from hard work. Nothing wrong with that I can see.

I have also worked hard since I left school at said business and pay my own way. Now get off your high horse and take someone elses advice for once.

No problem, I don't come on here to argue.

In reply to the op. If you go for the lower GB it's very easy to change the HDD. Just a few screws but it's better to do it before you save any info on it or you have a pain of moving the data across.

I agree to some extent but its proven that they dont make a massive difference.

As long as its not a cheap £2.99 asda one then it will be fine for a PS3.

IMHO btw, Not trying to pick a fight...

Spot on. A digital signal either gets to the destination or it doesn't, where as with scart leads they use a analogue signal which is basically a wave and a cheaper cable will cut part of the wave off or it will degrade as it travels along the wire. Thats why gold scart cables are better, because gold is a better conductor.

I have a cheap HDMI cable and the screen goes completely blank for a second and then comes back (very annoying) so I'll be spending £10 / £20 on one soon

Oh and daddy is not rich, he gets by because he has dedicated 20 years to running his own business from hard work. Nothing wrong with that I can see.

I have also worked hard since I left school at said business and pay my own way. Now get off your high horse and take someone elses advice for once.

Stop demeaning everyone elses lives by telling people how much you pay and how good you are at everything. Congratulations on yours and your fathers success. Just keep the prices on the recipts. Not on the forums. I myself and almost certainly everyone else don't give two hoots how much you spend on your entertainment goods.

Every other post you make is telling people how you are better than them and how much your stuff costs. It's pointless and un-necessary!

P.S. I don't have a high horse because horses are a waste of money...

Also - I just bought my mum and dad a new LG 32" Telly for £330... I only got a cheap one because my dad could beat your dad up :rolleyes:

Anyone else for some Primary School Antics?

Edited by nfbr

I was not stating the price to show "how better and rich i am" as you put it, Anyone can say they saw no difference between an HDMI cable if they hooked up a cheap blu-ray player and a cheap LCD TV.

The only way to tell people how good the kit is by the price.

I could tell them the make and model number but it wouldnt mean a thing to them, But if i mentioned price then they know the kit is quality. Its pub talk you know and the same goes for cars.

Maybe its me, I spend too much time on the AV forums. :confused:

I got a new PS3 250gb from play.com for the same price as others are selling the smaller version.

I'll never fill it up or use it, but at £269.99 for the 250gb version, 2 bluerays and the Sony bluetooth remote i thought its a great price. Plus makes it future proof if I ever did want to through various movies and music on there as my entertainment system later in life if I get bored.

There's a lot of placebo effect with having a 'better cable' more than often with HDMI; my advice is don't get a cheap one as the connectors will probably be rubbish but seems for around £15-20 you can get a good cable, with solid and secure conncectors and decide outer cable sleeve. I got a profigold one for around £18 posted and seems to do the job.

All i've been told is that expensive cables mainly come into their own game and are worthwhile when running them over a longer distance.

i got a 40gb ps3 and swapped the HD straight away with a 250gb hard drive for £60 from pc world, ideal. I recommend getting the gioteck package. If you are looking to shoot some people in the face on modern warfare 2... which you should, then its always good to get a headset. The gioteck headset is brilliant and better than the official sony one as it has a foam pad instead of in ear which means its more comfortable to wear for longer periods. The headset is bluetooth and connects to your ps3 wirelessly like a mobile headset. Its also charged using the same cable you use to charge your controllers. The pack also comes with a good hdmi cable designed specifically to run nicely with the ps3 and also in the pack you get clip on trigger buttons that go on L2 and R2 making them easier to use and your fingers dont slip off. All in all i got this little box of goodies from currys for about £20 so its worth every penny as headsets alone can cost more. get a ps3 theyre mint. Plus you could join me casper and Al in some grand theft auto online mayhem B)

^ Same. I bought the 60gb (i think) and wanged a 200gb hard drive in it straight away.

Had a look at the Giotek headset as I'm currently useing just an old one made for mobile phone use and it's vol up button is broken. The Giotek one seems to have a fair few bad reviews so steared away from it. Still haven't got round to replacing it yet though.