show me you oil catch tank

Matty_Gti

well as most know when fitting a BMC you have to do something with your crank case brather pipe, most put a small filter on the end but this can small inside the car and drip oil in the engine bay.

i know nice shiney oil catch tanks are available so i would like to see some fitted and plumbed in please.

We had a few made out of adonised drinks bottles and retro fitted plumbing unions to it.

Never got round to fitting it so far though. A couple of other people on here brought them so hopefully at least one person fitted them :)

I just removed the heating element from the breather pipe and removed the pipe right back down to the bottom of the engine. Add the filter there and you will not get the "oilly smell" anymore as the fumes simply pass under the car.

Worth remembering to clean the breather filter out from time to time.

Casper, how has that been mounted in your engine bay? Attached to something else? Or have you drilled new holes?

It looks very OEM and smart!

Edited by Adam

Thats nearly 100% where mine is!

But on mine, ive cut the engine cover so the bmc pops through at the back. And not used such bright piping!

I think it looks quite OEM.

Lupointake1.jpg

John

That crank case breather is a bit close to the oil catch tank mate. What happens when your oil catch tank fills up about half way and you go over a speed bump? :wacko:

-N-

The ideal solution is to route the tank back into the intake after the induction kit. This keeps the vaccuum that was there on the standard airbox setup.

That crank case breather is a bit close to the oil catch tank mate. What happens when your oil catch tank fills up about half way and you go over a speed bump? :wacko:

-N-

Thats not my engine bay mate! id be disgusted with myself if it was.... look at it!!

I dont think ill let it get half full! lol

Ive routed my piping to it a little differently. trying to make it look as standard as possible, and not so gash!

John

Edited by Casper1496

quite pleased thats not your engine casper, its a bit erm... loud visually!

i'm still looking for a good pic of a catch tank fitted and looking good/standard looking.

what about putting the catch tank behind the BMC? will it smell inside the car this way?

The ideal solution is to route the tank back into the intake after the induction kit. This keeps the vaccuum that was there on the standard airbox setup.

is there an advantage doing this, keeping the vacuum?

mine has a filter and does smell a bit want to get a new setup sorted and liking the look of these tanks....

I didnt think about sticking it behind the BMC, dunno if its got enough space, Plus i didnt want to drill any holes in the bulkhead.

You could always put the catch tank somewhere. and then run a pipe from the catch tank to a convienent place for the breather exhaust, and not need a fliter.

like drill a hole through the splash guard under the car, and have it exhaust there, might make a bit of a mess, but not too much as the catch tank takes most of the oil out of the air.

Might have a look and see where i can move mine to when the car returns.

Matt - Yes i have taste! and thats badly done! and not well kept. that rocker cover needs to be polished!

John

Edited by Casper1496

• 2 weeks later...

mine has a filter and does smell a bit want to get a new setup sorted and liking the look of these tanks....

Yes there is. Provided the engine is in good nick then oil vapour should be minimal and will negligable effect on power, but the effect is that a negative pressure is created inside the crankcase, and therefore helps to stop oil leaks when the oil thins whilst running.

Often you'll find a previously leak-free engine will leak a few drops a week if you remove the vacuum and put on the breather filter.

Another bonus is that those nasty oil vapours are burned in the engine and don't end up wafting into the cab!

Yes there is. Provided the engine is in good nick then oil vapour should be minimal and will negligable effect on power, but the effect is that a negative pressure is created inside the crankcase, and therefore helps to stop oil leaks when the oil thins whilst running.

Often you'll find a previously leak-free engine will leak a few drops a week if you remove the vacuum and put on the breather filter.

Another bonus is that those nasty oil vapours are burned in the engine and don't end up wafting into the cab!

Another plus is that you will never have to clean your throttle body with carb cleaner again. Shouldn't get any idle issues related to this any more. :)

Also you won't have to clean your long-life element or replace your standard air filter as often. :)

What size is the breather pipe? I am looking at a few different catch tanks on ebay but wasn't sure what size inlet is required.

Thanks

Linsey

I got mine from here Click here

That kits got a 15mm down to 8mm step down. If you use that, with the little bit of 15mm pipe supplied (seen in the second picture), then it fits snugly inside the inner bore of the original breather pipe. Just put a jubilee clip round it and there you go.

John