Standard 1.4s brakes less than inspiring?

LoopyDan

Has anyone else found that the brakes on the 1.4s are pretty crap? They don't seem to have much feel or much bite either compared to a few of my friends cars that I've driven. What is the cheapest way of upgrading them to something a bit more urgent?

Has anyone else found that the brakes on the 1.4s are pretty crap? They don't seem to have much feel or much bite either compared to a few of my friends cars that I've driven. What is the cheapest way of upgrading them to something a bit more urgent?

Yeah mine are a bit rubbish compared to the TDi and the sport, seems to be a lot of pressing and not much stopping lol.

Not sure on how to upgrade them to be honest, but I suppose larger front discs like on the TDi may help things a little.

Jon

I agree they are not the best! reported this to VW today and they said it was normal and they are fine - then again they said that the fluid being to full was normal.

fair to say im not happy with them as they didnt even fix what it went in for but thats another story. I think they should be better and im going to bleed them myself or make (and i mean make) vw do it for me! ill report back

may be wrong on this so someone confirm i have heard if bleeding make sure to pressure bleed as pump bleeding can cause master cylinder to turn or break or something.

this can be true if you let the fluid level go to low, if you do it right you will be fine with what ever method. if you have ABS you will need to see if it needs to be put in bleed mode with vag com, im not sure if lupos do (would not surprise me if so)

I'm going to be fitting some 1999/2000 Seat Inca TDi hubs soon to my 1.4S. I'll see if they fit and update accordingly. The have the 256mm discs with replaceable carriers for a 280mm upgrade.

What I have noticed though, are the Hi-Spec MK1 Golf upgrades to 280mm using the stock caliper from the 23?mm disc set up. I have been wondering if they can adapt that kit to the lower spec Lupo and Arosa.

I'm going to be fitting some 1999/2000 Seat Inca TDi hubs soon to my 1.4S. I'll see if they fit and update accordingly. The have the 256mm discs with replaceable carriers for a 280mm upgrade.

What I have noticed though, are the Hi-Spec MK1 Golf upgrades to 280mm using the stock caliper from the 23?mm disc set up. I have been wondering if they can adapt that kit to the lower spec Lupo and Arosa.

mk1 golf have bolt on carriers so they will not work on a loop.

mk1 golf have bolt on carriers so they will not work on a loop.

Well that's put the brakes ( rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> ) on that idea. Damn VW.

The brakes at the 1.4 lupo are not so bad.

I work at a rental company and the cars we have for rent (not older than 6 months) often breaks less than the lupo.

Mine is complet standard, but when i hit the breaks hard mij nose is serieus hitting the front window.

My gues is that there is something bad with your brakes.

Normaly it should brake hard

The brakes at the 1.4 lupo are not so bad.

I work at a rental company and the cars we have for rent (not older than 6 months) often breaks less than the lupo.

Mine is complet standard, but when i hit the breaks hard mij nose is serieus hitting the front window.

My gues is that there is something bad with your brakes.

Normaly it should brake hard

Well it's not that they are dangerously bad, I have driven cars with worse (my parents rover 418d!!) and I guess been used to a racing kart that will lock the back-wheels up with a brush of the pedal doesn't help, but I am always expecting them to be a bit more reactive with a harder bite....